Carnival LEGEND at Mahogany Bay - Review LONG!

cruisetobeaches

We are going here on the Carnival Triumph next week. Am I correct in assuming that our ship will dock here? ...and, by the way, what is HMC?

Thanks

All the Carnival ships will dock here, as this is Carnival's new pier. HMC is Half Moon Cay...their private island in the Eastern Carribean:)

Cruise, thanks so much for posting this review and satisfying my curiosity. I think it's a great idea for people who don't want to spend the money or time to go elsewhere. But I know we will continue to go to West Bay or elsewhere for the snorkeling and to experience Roatan and its people...we love it there!:) I hope this doesn't keep too many people from really seeing the beautiful island and folks!

I am again getting excited, I had heard about the Mahogany Beach but knew no additional information. Now I can share this with my spouse and traveling companions. I am leaning toward the cabana (hope I won't be disappointed). Were you able to speak with anyone who has rented the cabana? :confused:

We have booked our other excursions w/ independant contractors for Grand Cayman and Cozumel and nothing for Belize (port of rest) :)

If we make it back we will check out the West Bay

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a slide show put together by Carnival of Mahogany Bay. Excellent picures! Many posts have said that the snorkeling there was poor in Mahogany Bay. Pehaps they just didn't go far enough. Picture #30 shows a coral reef at the far end of the island. It says it is a 5 minute swim from the snorkeling pier. http://johnheald.files.wordpress.com...compressed.pdf

Carnival makes it difficult for passengers who book excursions outside the ship in Roatan. In this post, you see the hill you walk up to get to the gates This video shows what's on the other side down the hill to get to the independent operators: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8Xf...eature=related

We'll be there on 4/7/10. Since we've been to Rotan 2 other times, we plan to just stay at MB this time.

Here's a slide show put together by Carnival of Mahogany Bay. Excellent picures! Many posts have said that the snorkeling there was poor in Mahogany Bay. Pehaps they just didn't go far enough. Picture #30 shows a coral reef at the far end of the island. It says it is a 5 minute swim from the snorkeling pier. http://johnheald.files.wordpress.com...compressed.pdf

Carnival makes it difficult for passengers who book excursions outside the ship in Roatan. In this post, you see the hill you walk up to get to the gates This video shows what's on the other side down the hill to get to the independent operators: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he8Xf...eature=related

We'll be there on 4/7/10. Since we've been to Rotan 2 other times, we plan to just stay at MB this time.

I can not get either one of these links to work???:confused:

Cruisetobeaches, thank you very much for the review and photos of Mahogany Bay. Do you know if there is anything right outside the gated area? Any stores or flea markets etc? Or does one have to take transportation to other parts of Roatan?

Does anyone have more information on the Clip and Zip zipline that is there?

I have read on other posts that it is $45 for 11 lines and that they don't advertise it but that you can also get 3 lines for $15.

Thank you so much for such great pictures and info on Mahogany Bay.

Looks like a comfy place for a lazy day. A couple of questions

:) Are there any hammocks or only loungers?

:eek: On Carnival's website I would swear it said $199 per person for the cabanas. Was I mistaken?

We loved our week on the Legend. She is my favorite ship so far.

I do agree with others on this thread...if it is your 1st time in Roatan, get out and see the island and visit with the people. It is beautiful. We took an independant tour and it was awesome.

This time we'll more than likely do the magic flying beach chairs and vegetate on the beach :D -As the OP said 4 ports in 4 days is a busy cruise.

I've been gone (on the Legend) so I don't know if this was reported or not...but don't plan everything around docking in Mahogany Bay. We did, got off the ship, then found out we docked at the old pier due to choppy seas (they made an announcement, but we were still sleeping.) Difference of $40 to go to the beach for 2 people!

• 1 month later...
My original plan was to check out the new port area and then go to West Bay to check it out. But, our time in this port was short and I decided to just chill out and relax. Four ports in a row tends to wear one down and this was our last port.

That was our original plan too, but the review has changed our mind. Thank you so very much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wondering how the new beach area overall (and snorkeling in particular) compares to Tabyana Beach?

IMHO, Tabyanan Beach is so much better than Mahogany Beach for both snorkeling and swimming. Mahaogany Bay is a man made beach, it wasn't even developed on my first trip to Roatan. I took a snorkel/catamaran trip in 2003 which anchored off the far end past the dock, and this was the best place to snorkel, there's a drop off and decent coral in the shallow areas. A few years later I returned to Roatan and did a "Coral Cay" excursion from the old dock that took me to the same pier where I snorkeled the same area again. I think that's the only place in Mahogany where you can snorkel. On a different cruise, again docking at the old pier, I just taxied to Tabyana and back for $20. Another cruise I took Carnival's excursion to a different part of Tabyana and snorkeled right off the beach. Tabayana has palm trees and real sand, not crushed limestone like Mahogany. So different beaches for different folk......And yes, I also liked the old pier better than this new one, where everyone is funneled into Carnival's man made mall. Seems that how Carnival likes to do stuff though, Cozumel went the same way.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't have time to do Tabyana because the kids and I are ziplining at Clip N Zip first... I loved your pics, even if the snorkeling isn't as good as Tabyana this looks like a GREAT way to finish up the trip. The kids are gonna LOVE the ski lift. And my oldest will enjoy snorkeling even if it's not SUPER fabulous... your pics are great, thanks so much.

• 3 months later...