Wine at the pier in Valparaiso?

SevenSeas70

There is a mall across the street from the port area. Easy walk with street lights and all. On the second floor at the far end is a market. It has a great wine area. Most days there are a couple of gentlemen who are very knowable about Chilean wines. As for prices, the are from 1.00usd up. Most are quite reaseonable. Sometimes, you can get someone to carry it back to the ship for you, if you buy a couple of cases like we do. If you enjoy good wines, you will find that Chile has many good quality wines and very reasonable. Enjoy your trip.....

If you get a chance to go to the Concha y Toro winery located between Valparaiso and Santiago, it is a good winery and the prices are reasonable.

Note that depending on the cruise line you are sailing on, you may be charged a corkage fee to bring the bottles of wine on board. Some cruise ships may not do that but I know Norwegian Cruise Line says they allow you to bring it own to take to your room but will charge a corkage fee per bottle. I don't know what the other cruise ships do.

Enjoy!;)

If you get a chance to go to the Concha y Toro winery located between Valparaiso and Santiago, it is a good winery and the prices are reasonable.

Note that depending on the cruise line you are sailing on, you may be charged a corkage fee to bring the bottles of wine on board. Some cruise ships may not do that but I know Norwegian Cruise Line says they allow you to bring it own to take to your room but will charge a corkage fee per bottle. I don't know what the other cruise ships do.

Enjoy!;)

I believe the cruiseline policy on Princess does not limit the amount of wine or champagne/vin mousseaux you bring onboard. Where the corkage fee comes into effect is if you take one of the bottles you brought onboard to the dining room for dinner, you wiold be charged the USD$15 corkage...and then sometimes...only sometimes, if you really get to know your wait staff, your bottle could become invisible to them.

Ciao for now!!!

On HAL you can bring as much wine on board as you please. They only charge a corkage fee if you choose to have it opened in the MDR or the Pinnacle. Having said that - if you don't finish the bottle they will re-cork it and save it for your next meal.

Reaaalllly. You can do better than this!

Itsouthall,

Since Concha Y Toro has over fifty wines rated by Wine Spectator 90 or higher from 2000 to 2007, you must share with the rest of us which wineries between Santiago and Valparaiso make consistently better "juice". I personally believe that both the 2003 and the 2005 Concha Y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Puente Alto Don Melchor were in the top 100 list of wines that I have ever had and at less than $60 per bottle they may be in my top ten with regard to value.

Itsouthall, I'm looking forward to you sharing your knowledge with us with regard to these wineries between Santiago and Valparaiso that are good enough to have you "dis" Concha Y Toro so that I might visit them this January.

Gary

Archived