What About the Maitre D.?

cruisercrash

On our last cruise, a couple people in our party mentioned how good the leg of lamb was and casually made a comment to the maitre'd (who visited us every night and even sat down with us to talk) about how they'd love to eat them again. The next night, the maitre'd came by and said she was able to get a couple more orders of leg of lamb for those who wanted it.

She was the only maitre'd who has ever truly shown interest in our dining experience. She wasn't one of those maitre'd who just show up toward the end of the cruise in hopes of receiving a tip for saying hello once. Needless to say, she did receive a tip for going above and beyond.

We have been on a few cruises where we didn't even know who the maitre'd was!

On our most recent cruise (Legend early this month), the maitre'd stopped by every night, but very brief. On the Holiday last October, the maitre'd also stopped by every night, but stayed and chatted some. He got a tip.

The BEST maitre'd we have ever had in a MDR was Mersin on the Fantasy and we are hoping he is still there next month. When we sail alone, we prefer a table for two. He obliged with no problem and even set it up so that we had the same table for our last B2B. He also stopped by every night to make sure the service and food was good (it was excellent) and asked how our day was, where we went, etc. Very friendly and personable maitre'd! He received a generous tip both cruises. Normally we do not ever remember the maitre'd name!

Probably discussed before, but we have been on at least a dozen cruises and I only tip the Maitre D. if he does something specifically for me. For example, table adjustments for me, nice tip for him or her. But, in most of our cruises I have found the Maitre D. to be rather officious and useless. I know he manages the staff, but I would rather give extra to the waiters and assistants than give it to someone that seems to be only taking up space. Am I wrong?

We have yet to tip the Maitre D' on all the cruises we have been on with Carnival. Reason and this is only our opinion. The Maitre D' should set the tone in the dining room. He should be upbeat and wanting to know what the customers feel of his dining room. Plus he should present a positive can do attitude to the dining room staff which I have observed does not happen often. A good Maitre D' that cares about the dining room he/she is serving should be well aware of negative comments prior to them showing up on these boards and to make attempts to correct the issues. Not having customers experiencing the same difficulties every night. If I were the Maitre D' I would carry comment cards with me and visit every table that I could. My customers in the dining room would know me and my face. If one had a negative comment I would ask them to write it down so it could be addressed immediately, positive so that to could be well documented. The Maitre D' that we have experienced on our Carnival cruises just seem to be not connected with what is going on in the dining room. Again just our observations and opinion. We tip well for good service!!!!!

I believe it does make a difference and I don't think anyone can change my opinion on that.

Absolutely, wouldn't want to change your opinion! LOL:D!! Heaven forbid if someone from the inside cabin area sat at your table and showed you which fork to use :D Love the "anytime" dining, you never know who you sit next to! :eek:

Back to the question on hand, I agree with the majority. On our first sailing we didn't know we had a Maitre'd until he introduced himself on the last night. However, his crew was fantastic. They were upbeat, fast, and personable, and deserved their well earned tips.

I agree completely. By the way, out of the $10.00 a day you pay for gratuity, $1.00 of that goes to "restaurant management". Isn't that the Maitre D?

Not according to what I have heard. On our recent cruise on Inspiration, the CD said that this $1.00 is for tips for the servers in Lido Deck who aren't included in the $5.50 per day for the Head Team Waiter and Team Waiter.

I agree completely. By the way, out of the $10.00 a day you pay for gratuity, $1.00 of that goes to "restaurant management". Isn't that the Maitre D?

The policy read differently than you state.

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

You should tip him if he provides a service for you. First thing I do when I get on a ship is to hunt him down and ask him for a table for two. My husband and I are not anti-social, but to have dinner every night with strangers right across the table is risky and one we don't want to take. They always accomodate us so we tip him.

Risky in what way? I'm not trying to judge, or drag you into an argument. Just curious.

We were seated in the lower level of the Posh dining room on our last cruise...not my choice of dining areas..wonder if they saw that our tablemates had an interior room as we had a balcony? :rolleyes:

I couldn't have told you who our Maitre d was if my life depended on it. So, no..he didnt get a tip from us.

Bar service was lousy, too. Only saw bar staff one time the whole week.....

I am very sorry and I hope I don't offend you, but..

This "almost" reminds me of the old life boat thing.

The Higher Class passengers get the lifeboat first

then the low class passengers can board..if there is room.

Absolutely, wouldn't want to change your opinion! LOL:D!! Heaven forbid if someone from the inside cabin area sat at your table and showed you which fork to use :D Love the "anytime" dining, you never know who you sit next to! :eek:

Back to the question on hand, I agree with the majority. On our first sailing we didn't know we had a Maitre'd until he introduced himself on the last night. However, his crew was fantastic. They were upbeat, fast, and personable, and deserved their well earned tips.

Your answer to me is totally off BTW, but I understand what:D means so it's OK.......For my family....we never get balconies or suites and are considering insides in the future. So, I do not get the best seating IMHO..not terrible...but I can see there are better spots...so your thinking that it bothers me who sits with me is wrong...but I do believe that pax in suites for example are going to get a better location. Wouldn't you expect that if you paid through the nose? Or got a fabulous upgrade for those of you you will say that you didn't pay "thru the nose"?

And back to "anytime dining"...of course you never know who you will sit with....but I would bet that if you have a suite, that you will not be seated with the folks from Bugtussle.....again, if you pay a fortune...wouldn't you expect to be treated at least a little better in the dining room? They know where your cabin is located and the bottom line is when they know you are willing to pay big bucks for cabins...then they know you will tip ...at the very least...a little more than the average pax.

Risky in what way? I'm not trying to judge, or drag you into an argument. Just curious.

Risky could mean...boring...loud...drunk..smelly...too quiet..to opinionated...too young...too old.etc.etc.etc.

Just like on a plane..or the movies..threater..etc.etc where the other person will not move their arm off the armrest..or the person in front of you is very tall and keeps their hat on..or the person next to you on the plane could use more room...something along those lines would be what I would think the poster was referring to......not that he is a snob.

It is no crime to not want to eat with strangers on a cruise or to want to eat with your travelling companions only.......and thankfully the cruise lines will try to accomodate you in this manner.

We had our first cruise in July and the Maitre D' honored 2 requests we had made. Before the cruise we requested a table for 6 and when we got on board we found out that we were sitting at a table for 4. We asked for a table change and he said he would be able to change it for us by the second night. We sat at our table for 4 the first night and really enjoyed our table mates so we went back to the Maitre D' and asked if we could remain where we were. We did tip him at the end of the cruise. Had we not had any requests we probably wouldn't have tipped him

By risky, I mean sitting across from people that we have nothing in common with, or are rude, obnoxious, whatever. I have heard horror stories about and I prefer just not to take the risk.

Risky could mean...boring...loud...drunk..smelly...too quiet..to opinionated...too young...too old.etc.etc.etc.

Just like on a plane..or the movies..threater..etc.etc where the other person will not move their arm off the armrest..or the person in front of you is very tall and keeps their hat on..or the person next to you on the plane could use more room...something along those lines would be what I would think the poster was referring to......not that he is a snob.

It is no crime to not want to eat with strangers on a cruise or to want to eat with your travelling companions only.......and thankfully the cruise lines will try to accomodate you in this manner.

Thank-you Sapphire.

Oh, you aren't Sapphire?

What's the best way to tip the Maitre'D if you have a special request (Ie. table for 2)?

Is it more effective to slip him the cash as you approach him or do it after the request has been accomodated? If it's the former, then what happens if you tip him first but he tells you he cannot accomadate you?

Your answer to me is totally off BTW, but I understand what :D means so it's OK.

How about this one :p

They know where your cabin is located and the bottom line is when they know you are willing to pay big bucks for cabins...then they know you will tip ...at the very least...a little more than the average pax

Sorry to burst your bubble on this one, but it's the Bugtussle's that tip the most. The "pax" in the suites have "short" arms and "long" pockets! :D

we never get balconies or suites and are considering insides in the future.

:rolleyes: Hmmmm? You never get balconies, or suites, so either you get an ov, or it's the "bunkers" for you...? And here, I was wondering why you would take a "cheap" cruise ship instead of going on a Cunard line!

Risky could mean...boring...loud...drunk..smelly...too quiet..to opinionated...too young...too old.etc.etc.etc

You said it! :rolleyes:

I am very sorry and I hope I don't offend you, but..

This "almost" reminds me of the old life boat thing.

The Higher Class passengers get the lifeboat first

then the low class passengers can board..if there is room.

Bravo ! :D Reminds you of the Titanic doesn't it!

I share your viewpoint. I tipped him when he gave us a table for 2 when we were not assigned that way. My last cruise however was amazing. The MD came by my table "EVERY NIGHT!" except the last. That never happens. Usually they stop by the last night basically with a hand out hoping for the envelope to appear. This guy did not appear the last night so we had to find him to give him his envelope which was totally deserved.

The BEST maitre'd we have ever had in a MDR was Mersin on the Fantasy and we are hoping he is still there next month. When we sail alone, we prefer a table for two. He obliged with no problem and even set it up so that we had the same table for our last B2B. He also stopped by every night to make sure the service and food was good (it was excellent) and asked how our day was, where we went, etc. Very friendly and personable maitre'd! He received a generous tip both cruises. Normally we do not ever remember the maitre'd name!

We had the same guy and he checked on everyone, but by the 5th day it seemed that he was reading from a script; hello, how are you, how is dinner? every night. By the 3rd night we were like "oh crap here he comes again." Funny how two people can have two very different opinions.

He didn't do anything for us different than a normal restaurant manager would do.

Let me get this straight. His JOB is to try to accomodate the guests. If you request a table for two, or your table to be changed and he does it, you tip him?? If he doesn't, do you report him to the Captain?? He is ONLY doing his job when he helps you. If he can, he will,and if he can't, he won't..As for the small talk from him, i can live without..Also i hope that when he makes you feel SPECIAL, he isn't inconveniencing someone else...:rolleyes:

Probably discussed before, but we have been on at least a dozen cruises and I only tip the Maitre D. if he does something specifically for me. For example, table adjustments for me, nice tip for him or her. But, in most of our cruises I have found the Maitre D. to be rather officious and useless. I know he manages the staff, but I would rather give extra to the waiters and assistants than give it to someone that seems to be only taking up space. Am I wrong?

I have to agree with you. Our last cruise, a b2b was the 1st time that we tipped him. A nice tip for the 1st leg and a genorous tip for the 2nd leg, he got us into the galley tour reserved for 10 X + past guests and better, plus he moved our table for the second leg. If all he/she does is introduce them selves on the 1st night and then show up on the last, ummm no tip.

Archived