Silly question

minncruisers

but one that bothers me anyway. Is it "disembarkation" or "debarkation" when exiting the ship? I've seen it both ways and catch myself saying both interchangeably but wondering which is correct when I'm saying it. :rolleyes: I'm thinking it's debarkation because disembarkation would be undoing an embarkation. But then...I confuse myself and I don't know! And isn't it a debarkation talk they have on the last night?

From Dictionary.com:

Debarkation:

to disembark

disembarkation:

to go ashore from a ship

to leave an aircraft or other vehicle

to remove or unload (cargo or passengers) from a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.

So I suppose either is fine...:D

From Dictionary.com:

Debarkation:

to disembark

disembarkation:

to go ashore from a ship

to leave an aircraft or other vehicle

to remove or unload (cargo or passengers) from a ship, aircraft, or other vehicle.

So I suppose either is fine...:D

Okay good! Thank you. One less thing for me to "think" about when I talk. LOL!

but one that bothers me anyway. Is it "disembarkation" or "debarkation" when exiting the ship? I've seen it both ways and catch myself saying both interchangeably but wondering which is correct when I'm saying it. :rolleyes: I'm thinking it's debarkation because disembarkation would be undoing an embarkation. But then...I confuse myself and I don't know! And isn't it a debarkation talk they have on the last night?

In almost all cases, the two words are interchangable....

disembarkation Anoun1 debarkation, disembarkation, disembarkment

the act of passengers and crew getting off of a ship or aircraft Category Tree: act; human action; human activityactionarrivallandingdebarkation, disembarkation, disembarkmentgoing ashore

As with formal nights, it's time Carnival got rid of these silly terms and just say "getting on" and "getting off" the ship.

NO!!! Are you call to call your cabin your room? The ship a boat? The galley a kitchen? The head a bathroom? The deck the floor? What fun would that be? They already messed up the best picture of the cruise by not making you take and wear your lifejacket.

As with formal nights, it's time Carnival got rid of these silly terms and just say "getting on" and "getting off" the ship.

Are we going to a hotel in Vegas or getting onboard a ship??? After hundreds of years of sailing with those terms and Americans wanna change it to sound better...whats next a drive thru cruise???:D

Ahh, I kinda think the words were around long before Carnival. They may "rule the waves," but they don't have a lot of sway with Webster's or Funk & Wagnalls.:D

We just sit drinking coffee until the Captain announces, "Getta offa ma boata!"

Archived