Full coverage swimsuit/wetsuit?

mehitabel

I've been looking for (and ordering) rash guards and board shorts--I don't wear regular bathing suits anymore for lots of reasons. One major reason is that I burn very easily, regardless of sunscreen. Today I found this, this, and these.

Does anyone have experience wearing anything similar? They seem lighter than wetsuits, but with PLENTY of sun protection. With one of the short-leg models, would it look ridiculous to wear out and about?

With all the wonderful sunscreens available, I think I'd stick to a regular suit and a lightweight cover-up....or, just don't do the "sunning" thing!

But, you wear what you want....especially at the beaches. Around the pool, tho, it seems a bit of "overkill".....use sunscreen and sit in the shade!

You might try going to a scuba shop and asking to try the suit on. I would think they might be difficult to "get into". How about a maxi dress or MUMU that goes to the mid leg level. Don't forget to protect your feet -- sunburn on the top of foot is a disaster and extremely painful.

As for this, this and these. I would not wear them. I would feel like a bratwurst in too tight a skin. People would probably stare just because they are not used to the look except for scuba divers and small children (these suits are popular at the COLD indoor pool).

Anyway do what you want. You will never see these folks again:D

As someone who also burns easily, I wear a rash vest that sits just under my bottom and has 3/4 sleeves. I have better luck with the sunscreen on my legs and face.

With the increase in skin cancer (especially where I come from) wear what makes you feel comfortable and safe from the sun. Fashion comes a poor 2nd when you could be risking your life!

They are the best thing since sliced bread for us fair skinned girls that burn easily.

I have burned or freckled several times while wearing a sunscreen with a regular suit. These suits don't wash or wear off, and then offer great sun protection. If I get a strange look I just call them my "no sunburn" swim suit and then tell them that living in Arizona I get my yearly allocation of sun while walking in and out of the grocery store.

I have them for my kids too, and I will tell you about a great example of how well the work. The kids had a school field trip to the local pool in May. I packed a pair of board shorts and an rash guard for my son, and a one peice C-suit for my daughter. Daughter had no choice but to wear the full coverage suit and son choose to wear his board shorts with sunscreen instead of a shirt. We are in Southern AZ with a 5000 ft. altitude so the sun can be pretty intense. Long story short, my son and every other child in the school came home with a horrible sunburn on their shoulders even though the teachers had made them all put on sunscreen and sit in the shade for it to dry for 15 minutes. We are talking thick gooey applications. The children who sunburned ranged in all shades, not just horribly pail like my own kids. My daughter who wore her full coverage suit like the one in the picture did not burn at all!!!

So I totally recommend these suits!!!! If you get the least bit hot when they are dry, a quick dip cools you off like a swamp cooler.

beach12.jpg

I just spent a few days at the beach here in PR (Isla Verde) and I saw a few people wearing something like the short legged one. I didn't think they looked weird (unusual yes, but not "eeek what are they thinking" ;)). In one area of the beach some people were taking surfing lessons and both instructors (male) had long sleeves on. I think it's pretty smart if you want to spend time in the water during peak sunshine hours! :cool:

I suffer from polymorphic light eruption (I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's real!), a condition which causes nasty hives all over arms, legs, chest, etc., and sunscreen has no effect on it. Rashguards have made the difference between being able to have a beach holiday and not having a beach holiday. The one-piece styles you suggested don't appeal to me, but my kids wear them sometimes. I prefer a long-sleeved rashguard and long board shorts, it's a sporty look that lets me play with my kids on the beach, go snorkeling, etc., and when I do get out of the sun, I have a bikini top underneath so that I can take off my rashguard.

My sister says that she's never seen anyone wear so many clothes to go swimming as I do, but for some of us, it's our only choice.

http://www.cwear.com.au/p/841460/swim-suits.html

I ordered them, I have one in navy and one in black from this company in Australia. Ships in a less than a week and easy to order.

Oh, I forgot to mention that they don't have any kind of support or lining, so you do need to wear a regular suit under them, or something like a sports bra.

OH, also forgot to answer your question about the fabric weight, it is like a tightly woven spandex, not quite as stretchy, well not really very stretchy at all. It is very light weight but tightly woven so it blocks the sun with out weighting you down in the water or feeling too hot.

Archived