movies under the stars

WendyG

Anyone know what movies are currently being played on the caribbean princess?

Best bet would be to see if we can get someone who was aboard this week to report back for the most accurate list. But when we were on board over Christmas they did not play music videos that I saw during the day, rather they played movies at 9am, 11am, 1pm and 3pm like:

• "Grease",
  • "Ice Age",
  • "Finding Nemo" and
  • "Big"
  • "Jurassic Park"
  • "Princess Bride"
  • "Toy Story"
  • "I Robot"
  • "E.T."
  • "Spiderman"
  • "Shrek"
  • "Splash"
  • "The Santa Clause" (Christmas sailing)
  • "Back to the Future"
  • "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

which were lots of fun to watch but it was difficult to hear unless you were on the lower or front of the first level. No reservations were required but the area was quite popular and full for most showings except the 9am one. Not saved chairs either, real people.

At night they had more current movies on the traditional "Movies Under The Stars" set up which were by reservation by calling the concierge. They requested that passengers vacate that area of the ship by 5:30pm so they could set up for the performances which were at 7pm and 10pm. Crew were on duty throughout the performance seating guests on cushy lounge chairs with blankets should it get chilly, passing out popcorn, filling drink orders and guarding the entrances but allowing peoole without reservations in ten minutes after the beginning of the performance to fill unused seats.

Movies "Under the Stars" included

• "Sharks Tale"
  • "The Bourne Supremacy"

That was not every night though.

On the first night was a concert, "Tina Turner, One Last Time" which was not all that well attended but I enjoyed it one MORE time, having seen it on the ship on our July sailing. No reservation was required for that one or "Beyonce In Concert" which preceded Monday Night Football one night. Here's a video that shows how really good the quality of the picture is

The football game was quite the event, with the crowd warmed up with a pregame "Monday Night Football Quiz" where passengers could win prizes from the cruise staff. That happened to be on Island Night which for some reason they moved from the aft pool to the pool right next to the one used by Under the Stars. Initially I thought this was going to be a real fight as both events tended to be loud. But walking back and forth between both it was amazing how much the sound from one did NOT bleed into the other. Whoever designed that sound system really knew what they were doing!

Other special events included a "Wizard of Oz sing-a-long" early one evening at 6pm followed by the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" at 8pm and 10pm and then the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" at 11:45pm.

I thought that night showcased especially well how there was something for everyone. Here's a short video of the area showing how nicely it's incorporated into the design of the ship.

Chris, can one reserve seats for the football? Or is it first come, first serve?

First come, first served. The "best seats in the house" are on the first level up from the pool in the center. They're worth getting there early for as they fill up first any time of the day but only the severe side seats toward the front are not so good.

According to the Patter today, the movies playing this week that require reservations are The Bourne Supremacy and Shark's Tale./ No note about the Wizard of Oz, but everyone was happy with the Football Playoffs that were on. I have not made reservations yet, I hope I can still get some!!!

Casey

Cruising on the Golden in March...will they have MUTS by then?

So far the word I have is "by mid year" as the most specific from Princess. I gotta believe somebody knows more but I have not found them yet. Still looking!

The Grand Princess clearly posts "First come, first served" signs for all the movies under the stars events. No reservations.

On the 12/28-01/07 trip they played all the major bowl games (ESPN, without the commercials). Seeing Texas win the Rose Bowl along with all the other Texas cruisers was great.

On the 1/8 sailing we had Shark Tail and Bourne Supremacy. Regarding the football you did not need a reservation and there were plenty of Deck Chairs for the Jets Chargers game. The afternoon games were crowded simply because it was a sea day and everyone was sunning at the pools. BTW the football games are also shown in the cabins.

Archived