Back from 3 Nights on the Sky (this post might be longer...)

CanadianTwosome

Before we left, there seemed to be a flurry of posts regarding the Sky, not all of which were positive, but of course they didn't affect our expectations because we've sailed NCL enough to know what to expect - and were not disappointed! The biggest problem I had with the Sky was having to get off after only three nights! :(

I will say that this was the most party-oriented cruise I've ever been on. There was a wedding party that tied the knot in Nassau, as well as a bachelor party that went from embarkation to debarkation, and the pub crawl... well, I wouldn't be surprised if there was actually some crawling later! ha ha ha

We also tried LeBistro for the first time on this cruise, and I have to agree with everything I've read about it; amazing filet, delicious escargot, yummy mushroom soup, and from the reaction of my husband and daughter, a chocolate fondue to die for. The ambiance was lovely as well, and we'll definitely go back.

My one wish regarding dining would be that the MDR menus were available when booking specialties. We seem to have developed a tradition of going to Cagney's our first night, and this time appeared to be no exception. I asked if there was prime rib served in the MDR and when it might be and was told that it wasn't, but the next night was lobster/beef wellington night, so we booked for that evening. We then proceeded to the Crossings for lunch (to find it closed, since the Palace was open instead), where we found an evening menu already posted - with prime rib as one of the entrees! Well, we went back and changed our reservation to the next night, but when we showed up for supper, the menu was completely different! :eek: When I asked the server, she explained that it had been from the previous cruise and that prime rib was not available in the MDR on the three night sailing... so she called Cagney's on our behalf and they changed the reservation for us and we were able to go right up. (This was just one example of how the staff and crew in general were always ready to go the extra mile to ensure we were happy) :)

Cagney's was... well.. Cagney's. If I had one 'warning' to give people regarding Cagney's, it would be 'Go hungry!' I wish I could spread my meal over two sittings when I go... they just have too much good stuff on their menu. They seem to have changed things a little, though, in that sides are put on the plates rather than in side dishes; for us they were happy to put them all on a 'sample plate' so that we could all share. I know people will think I'm nuts, but their creamed spinach is simply incredible. Yum! The prime rib was rather delectable as well, of course! :p

I don't even know what else to talk about. The weather could have been better, but it was -40 when we left home, so it was pretty darned great to us even with the high winds.

I do have one complaint, but it's not really about the Sky or even NCL - other than they're the ones who contract the photo people. Their prices were just too high on this trip. We didn't get a single picture, and there were some really good ones. I just couldn't justify the $20 (or was it 25) for one shot. On the other hand, though, I noticed much less 'advertising' on this one. Perhaps it was because there were fewer days and only one in port, but I heard very few bingo announcements and barely a peep about anything else, other than announcing the art auction.

So... any questions? I'm sure there's tons more I could say, but I'm still recuperating from the whole vacation (we got off the ship and went scuba diving in Key Largo). Feel free to ask anything you want and I'll reply to the best of my abilities! :)

Hey CT

Sounds like you, DH & daughter who must be getting bigger now huh? had a typical good time. We are not able to cruise till at least March since our son was born in the end of Aug, and are doing a family trip in May. Glad you got away from those temperatures for a few days.

Bean

CanadianTwosome, thanks for your post about the Sky. We go next weekend and are SO excited. It is nice to hear another rave review so close to our sailing date.

I was a little confused WinnieWA by your comment....I know Cagney's has breakfast and lunch for suite guests....but we do not have a suite this time, and I am hoping we can still go there for at least one dinner. I am assuming you are referring to the breakfast/lunch menu options. We loved Cagney's on the Jewel and the Pearl on our prior cruises. I think on one cruise we ate two dinners there. CT, that is so nice they switched the reservation so easily for you. One can always dream for an upsell but we are very fine with the level of cabin we booked this time too.

CT, did you enjoy Nassau? What did you do there? We can't wait. It snowed here about 12-24 inches depending where you were and we are looking forward to some nice weather on the cruise.

I think it will be very difficult for us to get off after three nights too.

:)

Thank you for the great review!! My husband and I are sailing Jan 15th and so excited as it is our first cruise. We are also Canadians looking to get away from the cold. We have been advised by many cruisers to try a 3 day..so here we go!! Any other comments or advice would be appreciated>> We booked the aft deck 9th floor penthouse on the advice of our TA. Hopfully we will be happy there>>it is a christmas gift to each other.

Cagney's creamed spinach and Cagney's fries are da bomb.:)

I know people will think I'm nuts, but their creamed spinach is simply incredible. Yum!

You're not nuts! I adore NCL creamed spinach! The best part of a suite perk for me is Cagney's for creamed spinach! :D

Glad you had a great cruise, CT.. I know you can "party" with the rest of 'em! LOL

Sorry it was too short! Did you buy a cruise deposit certificate? I see you have Epic booked, but maybe you can squeeze one in before next December!!

Wow, I got busy... I hope I can answer all the questions!! Thanks for all the replies!

Quench - We flew in two days early, and I'm glad we did! The bad weather hit the day after we arrived in Miami and I know many people were held up. I met a woman poolside in Key Largo (after the cruise) and her family's travelling companions completely missed their trip due to the weather in NYC! Back to us, though, we stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay, which we booked through Priceline for $75 per night, and it was a great hotel. We were able to see our ship the morning we embarked, too, which was really cool. We had our 'usual' inside cabin on this one; my husband likes the darkness for sleeping in and I prefer to spend the difference on specialty dining since I'm never in the cabin anyway. :)

Coka - Thanks! There were two for one martinis, but I didn't get to try them. The drink specials and tastings always seem to be scheduled at the wrong time of day for moms!

Alwalaska - I don't know what the buffet was like before, but it was good when we were there. We had breakfast there a couple of times and lunch once I think. It was quite a bit smaller than on the Star and Pearl, but there was plenty to go around. I finally tried the pretzel buns, and I have to agree with everyone - they're delish!!

BEAN!! - Congratulations!!! What a cutie!! Our girl has definitely grown! We had to keep telling people she was only 11 (for children's menus, etc) - she's about 5'7" and wears a ladies' size 10.5-11 shoe!! We were all very glad we were able to get away from the temps here as well!! :p

Winnie - Yes indeed! If we ever stay in a suite (ha ha) I'll be eating that creamed spinach every day for lunch! Do they have it at breakfast, too? heh

Swymnwymn1 - Yes, Winnie is talking about lunch. If they stopped letting us 'insiders' eat at Cagney's for supper, I think I'd have to stage a protest!! :p Have a great trip!!

Sparks - It'll be here before you know it!!

Rotonda - You're sailing on my birthday!! I have no doubt that you will be very happy in your penthouse! I (and Winnie) recommend the creamed spinach at Cagney's for lunch... :p (and whenever else they serve it!)

Sjnyc323 - Oh yes... the fries too... Mmmmmmmmm... Truffle oil and parmesan cheese... best fries ever!!

Wink - I have to admit, I wasn't terribly unhappy to sleep in the morning after the pub crawl rather than getting to GSC in time for the family scavenger hunt... :o We did pick up a certificate - I even tried to convince them to let me use it on my Epic cruise, but no such luck. Since the fare's gone up over $400 for our cabin since we booked, though, I think we got the better deal by booking early. I think we're going to use it for a Hawaiian cruise - my daughter seems to think that's where we should try scuba diving, and who am I to argue? :)

Cheers everyone!!

CT, what excursion did you do in Nassau? DId you go with a daypass or Atlantis? We are still deciding. We were hoping to dive or snorkel with stuarts cove but the timing does not work, and atlantis seems pricey.

We actually didn't do an excursion in Nassau. Since the 'second half' of our vacation was scuba diving in Key Largo, we just got off the ship in Nassau and wandered around on our own. We checked out the pirate museum, which was fun and very interesting (the guy out front is hilarious), and we took a stroll through the straw market. After that we just got back on the ship and relaxed.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! Have you checked the Bahamas board? I think just about any excursion you can think of has been discussed there at least once; anything you're interested in should be easy to find with a quick search. :)

Archived