Summit 12/19 Caribbean Review

olechka

Looks like no one posted reviews from our cruise yet, so I'll be first. I'll make this pretty short so feel free to ask questions on details.

2nd cruise on Celebrity, 6th overall as you see in the signature.

Positives:

- Overall - nice and enjoyable cruise, wouldn't call it the best one of 6.

- Embarkation - no lines, room ready by 1ish i think, no problems at all.

- Dinners - really enjoyed the food in the dining room. Waiter and assistant were great, we were happy with the choices. A few snafus with refrigerator broken one day so ice cream was like water but no big deal. I suggest staying away from pasta dishes, very bland but everything else was great.

- Stateroom - we had ocean view 2069, room was very clean, larger than some other cruiselines. The steward kept it very clean, we were very happy with him.

Improvement Opportunities:

- We really hated the ship and the layout. Elevators weren't in the middle by the stairs, more on a side, people were always trying to find them. The decor was pretty tacky (random statues, figurines, not cohesive, ship looks pretty old). Overall, didn't have that feeling of a gorgeous place like other ships.

- Lack of activities was really a turn off for us. Usually there are so many thing to do we had to choose, it seemed that nothing was going on most of the time. On other ships trivia and other activities were centrally located in the main foyer or by the pool; walking around the ship you couldn't see any of that going on. The only fun activity was the Newlywed Game which was great, they replayed it every few minutes on TV because that was the ONLY exciting thing that happened. The shows were all the same: dancing and singing; comedian was canceled, really a lack of variety compared to other cruises. Additionally, the daily does not indicate clearly which activities require an extra charge. For example, father-in-law went to a seminar on how to use your Iphone, when people showed up they were told it was $20, most left. Looks like Celebrity is really cutting back and starting to nickle&dime but at least other cruise lines post this in the daily to let everyone know that's the case.

- Customer service - my husband's scuba diving excursion in St. Lucia was canceled, the tour company never showed up to pick them up. Celebrity staff onshore did nothing to find an alternative or to compensate them. They got money back for the excursion but the only compensation offered was a bottle of wine.

- Service in the buffet - had to go to the bar to get our own coke, most of the time no one came up to ask if we wanted something to drink.

So overall, a nice cruise and things above didn't dampen our experience.

Stops:

St. Thomas - didn't book an excursion

St. Croix - booked private snorkeling excursion with scubastcroix.com, great service, very affordable, nothing to see though as far as fish.

St. Kitts - didn't book an excursion

Antigua - took taxi to the beach, enjoyed relaxing time.

St. Lucia - I took ship's Arial Tram & Canopy adventure - really enjoyed the tour, guides were great and had a great experience.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Olga

Thanks for the review. I'm going on this same itinerary in March. Could you please let me know which nights were formal nights? Also, I'm trying to figure out what day and what time to book the specialty restaurant. What time were the shows scheduled? We have second seating. Were most of the shows for second seating before dinner or after?

Thanks so much,

Ann

Thanks for the review. I'm going on this same itinerary in March. Could you please let me know which nights were formal nights? Also, I'm trying to figure out what day and what time to book the specialty restaurant. What time were the shows scheduled? We have second seating. Were most of the shows for second seating before dinner or after?

Thanks so much,

Ann

Our formal nights were Christmas Eve (so maybe special) in St. Lucia and the first one was St. Kitts I think... it's all blur in my mind. We also had the 2nd sitting, shows were before dinner at 7pm most of the time, there was one after dinner at 11pm one of the first days. Dinner was at 8:30 and we got done at 10:15-10:30 every night.

When was the muster drill? Did sail away happen at the same time as 2nd seating for dinner? and lastly, was there much to do after 2nd seating dinner?

The drill was at 8pm but it was the most unusual drill i've ever been to. We all had to sit in the theater (no life jackets), they showed us how to put on the life jacket and that was it; didn't go outside or anything, it was great.

After dinner we usually watch people salsa dance in one of the lounges for a little bit, one day went to the movies (started at 11), one day was the fruit carving party at the pool. The rest of the days I understand the club was open but we didn't make it there, not much else going on.

Thanks for your review. Which beach did you choose in Antigua and would you recommend it?

hmm i don't remember the beach name, we asked the taxi guys for somewhere with snorkeling and they took us there. For $10 we got a shade cover and $5 each a lounge chair. It was pretty crowded but still nice.

Thanks for your review. We're doing this sailing in a couple of weeks.

Was this your first cruise on the Summit? We sailed her last Christmas and while it looked a little worn in places, we didn't think it was horribly shabby. We also heard that she had been dry-docked sometime this year and so were hoping that some upgrades were done.

Did you do any of the beverage packages and what did you think if you did?

thanks again!

Looks like no one posted reviews from our cruise yet, so I'll be first. I'll make this pretty short so feel free to ask questions on details.

2nd cruise on Celebrity, 6th overall as you see in the signature.

Positives:

- Overall - nice and enjoyable cruise, wouldn't call it the best one of 6.

- Embarkation - no lines, room ready by 1ish i think, no problems at all.

- Dinners - really enjoyed the food in the dining room. Waiter and assistant were great, we were happy with the choices. A few snafus with refrigerator broken one day so ice cream was like water but no big deal. I suggest staying away from pasta dishes, very bland but everything else was great.

- Stateroom - we had ocean view 2069, room was very clean, larger than some other cruiselines. The steward kept it very clean, we were very happy with him.

Improvement Opportunities:

- We really hated the ship and the layout. Elevators weren't in the middle by the stairs, more on a side, people were always trying to find them. The decor was pretty tacky (random statues, figurines, not cohesive, ship looks pretty old). Overall, didn't have that feeling of a gorgeous place like other ships.

- Lack of activities was really a turn off for us. Usually there are so many thing to do we had to choose, it seemed that nothing was going on most of the time. On other ships trivia and other activities were centrally located in the main foyer or by the pool; walking around the ship you couldn't see any of that going on. The only fun activity was the Newlywed Game which was great, they replayed it every few minutes on TV because that was the ONLY exciting thing that happened. The shows were all the same: dancing and singing; comedian was canceled, really a lack of variety compared to other cruises. Additionally, the daily does not indicate clearly which activities require an extra charge. For example, father-in-law went to a seminar on how to use your Iphone, when people showed up they were told it was $20, most left. Looks like Celebrity is really cutting back and starting to nickle&dime but at least other cruise lines post this in the daily to let everyone know that's the case.

- Customer service - my husband's scuba diving excursion in St. Lucia was canceled, the tour company never showed up to pick them up. Celebrity staff onshore did nothing to find an alternative or to compensate them. They got money back for the excursion but the only compensation offered was a bottle of wine.

- Service in the buffet - had to go to the bar to get our own coke, most of the time no one came up to ask if we wanted something to drink.

So overall, a nice cruise and things above didn't dampen our experience.

Stops:

St. Thomas - didn't book an excursion

St. Croix - booked private snorkeling excursion with scubastcroix.com, great service, very affordable, nothing to see though as far as fish.

St. Kitts - didn't book an excursion

Antigua - took taxi to the beach, enjoyed relaxing time.

St. Lucia - I took ship's Arial Tram & Canopy adventure - really enjoyed the tour, guides were great and had a great experience.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Olga

Thanks for the review!

About the ship and the layout? I work in design and of all the cruiseships we ave been on the Milliennium class are the most easy to navigate, simple clean design. I guess different tastes for people, But My mom thinks HAL are to dark and tacky in some spots and NCL confusing. We recently sailed on the Caribbean Princess and We hated that Layout..seemed to have a step up or down all over the place, dead ends...blah decor

Try the Solstice class because it is our favorite

Everyone's different...we were on the ship the week before and I did not notice any shabbiness. i also enjoyed coming across the sculptures and artwork wherever they were, always nice surprises. The ship was spotless, the crew worked very hard at this. i think the M class ships have a great layout.

WHERE DID YOU DOCK IN ST THOMAs?

did you go to the specialty restaurant?

thnaks

john

In St. Thomas, if you are downtown looking at the water, we docked at a pier to the left

Didn't go to secialty restaurant

Thanks for your review. We're doing this sailing in a couple of weeks.

Was this your first cruise on the Summit? We sailed her last Christmas and while it looked a little worn in places, we didn't think it was horribly shabby. We also heard that she had been dry-docked sometime this year and so were hoping that some upgrades were done.

Did you do any of the beverage packages and what did you think if you did?

thanks again!

First time on the Summit, it wasn't horribly shabby just different than other ships we've been on.

We just got the soda package only. Brought/ snuck wine and liquor onboard.

Archived