ROLL CALL: Celebrity Equinox 10/18/2010 Pied Piper

Bayotter

Hi John

Thanks for your info !

I noticed your late arrival. Respectfully, I will do what you did and I checked for, which is ask Montecarlo to pick me up after I clear customs, baggage, etc...Hope I can leave 9am from FCO to get to Hotel.

As for the Port to the FCO transport, you would have to wait at the airport for a few hours. That may not seem fair to you, unless you are comfortable and enjoy doing so. But, if you are cool with that, it would be my pleasure to share a ride with you from the port to FCO, and I thank you for doing so.

I have a feeling we will get to know each other well on this trip. I do look forward to building these friendships, one by one.

I booked the best flight I could, direct, return, class. Once PP and Celebrity said it was ok to have a departure at 935am (anytime after 9am), I did it. I hope the disembarkation and customs process at the Port of Rome goes well, so I dont have to worry about my departure time. But it is on the margin.

As for the Montecarlo Hotel to the Port, the front desk tells me that, for an 80kms distance Rome to Civitavechhia, the double rate would be 130 Euros. Is that too steep ? A share of 65 Euros. Please tell me what you think.

Thanks, and regards,

Bill.

[quote name='johhnnyt']Hi William,
I have a small stopover in Prague after I leave London, so I get into FCO at 1:40PM, so I'm not sure if you want to wait or not. When I booked my hotel reservation I had also booked the pickup from FCO, by the Montecarlo since I saw it was 55 Euros.
Coming back I leave at 2:40 PM from FCO back to New York on Alitalia, but since you have an early flight if you want to share a ride, I'm happy to leave early and wait at the airport.
Thats pretty tight margin for you if your flight leaves at 10:35AM. I know on other cruises I've had from Rome, Italian customs can be slow at times to clear the ship.
Be happy to hear what you find in regard to Montecarlo rate to port, as I haven't booked anything in the way of transport to/from the port.
John[/quote]

Thanks for your consideration. Am exploring other options. Hope they pan out. If not, I will contact you guys.

Cheers.

[quote name='BriSquared']Will

Saw your post...we are going back to the airport to drop off luggage at Airport Hilton but headed to city after as we are staying an extra day in Rome after....I think we are going a bit later. You have an early flight so you are likely off before us. If no one responds let me know an I will look at our timing.

For the Airport to Hotel, we use Romelimostours and they likely could meet or beat the 55 Euros. Just my preference. I have used them for several transfers and tours.

We arrive on the 16th.

Anyone doing the Corfu trip?[/quote]

0. Stay on board in Naples. Spa Day. (You guys will love Capri. You must go back by land and explore more, a nite or two).

1. PP - Sicily - MY26.

2. Corfu - CG06 - 5 villages, $117.00 (my family has some roots there. by the time of the cruise, I hope I have my Greek Passport). Whichever you pick, enjoy it. And do come back. Great vacation spots.

3. Egypt - Grand Overland (2 days) - Single - AX43

4. Israel - Grand Overland (2 days) - Single - AS16

REQUEST: ANY OF YOU PP GUYS DOING 1, 2, 3 OR ALL 4 OF THESE TRIPS I PICKED. IF SO, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE/TWO PP PEOPLE ON THESE TOURS FOR COMRADERIE (PP VIRGIN HERE).

PP: Also, when we gather on Cruise, the Director hopefully will ask people who are going on non PP listed tours. And hope they connect us and put us together so we travel together with the rest of the mainstreamers.

:eek: Ugg....sorry Will....I feel terrible but we actually ended up booking an outside tour to return late at night to the ship and then Alexandria the next morning. We booked a private overnight in Ashdod/Jerusalem and decided we did not want to spend two nights off the ship as we would be on night on and one night off. I am sorry ...I hope other PP join you.
We are looking at Corfu. We had decided on this cruise with friends before we knew it was PP and our friends are not in PP so we are doing a lot of outside tours but will likely do Corfu...we are looking at it right now.

Now I owe you an apology drink :D

I booked the Cairo Overland, also as a single, so there's at least two of us!

I'm working on my excursions this weekend, and will post "final answers" later.

But, meanwhile,
I found a private tour for day three in Israel - when we leave at 1, that I'll almost certainly book: From the port about 7:30am to Akko and then back to Haifa to view the Baha'i Gardens and then back to your ship where your tour ends. If anyone is interested, I will probably have 2 or 3 seats available once it's confirmed, if you want to share the cost. I'll post that when it's all known.

The same group is doing a tour on our Ashdod day - port of Ashdod over to Bethlehem and then to the Old City of Jerusalem where you'll tour by foot and where we'll be sure to include the Gardens of Gethsemane and the Church of All Nations. I need to doublecheck the Celebrity site - when I read the descriptions online a couple weeks ago, the Gardens and another stop they usually do weren't available on Oct 26.

More later as I get things finalized.

David.

Actually two

1. If you own 100 shares of RCL stock, if you email a copy of your statement to RCL at shareholderbenefit@rccl.com and you'll get a $200 credit while onboard

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.z...eholderbenefit

It's a nice perk, I was on my 8th cruise before someone mentioned it to me, and its good on any cruise you take (RCL, Celebrity, & Azamara)

2. Soda card and drink cards can be bought prior to sailing where you book excursions, I kind of like that I can pay for it now rather than getting a big bill on tail end

You guys are so considerate. Thanks. A great PP start for me.

There is absolutely nothing to apologize for, nor drink apology.

I am just scanning. I am confident there will be other PP connections. And as I write this, I just saw "V" below will be on the same Cairo Overland Tour as me. So, things are starting to work out. So many of us PP on this Tour, I suspect there will be more. (why such state secrets, PP could even tell us we are between 50-100, for example, without giving an exact number)

Cheers, guys.

Will.

:eek: Ugg....sorry Will....I feel terrible but we actually ended up booking an outside tour to return late at night to the ship and then Alexandria the next morning. We booked a private overnight in Ashdod/Jerusalem and decided we did not want to spend two nights off the ship as we would be on night on and one night off. I am sorry ...I hope other PP join you.

We are looking at Corfu. We had decided on this cruise with friends before we knew it was PP and our friends are not in PP so we are doing a lot of outside tours but will likely do Corfu...we are looking at it right now.

Now I owe you an apology drink :D

Hey David

That is great news. I am glad I will have a PP Cairo Overland buddy. And I look forward to getting to know you better, since we originally connected on another site.

All the best,

Will.

I booked the Cairo Overland, also as a single, so there's at least two of us!

I'm working on my excursions this weekend, and will post "final answers" later.

But, meanwhile,

I found a private tour for day three in Israel - when we leave at 1, that I'll almost certainly book: From the port about 7:30am to Akko and then back to Haifa to view the Baha'i Gardens and then back to your ship where your tour ends. If anyone is interested, I will probably have 2 or 3 seats available once it's confirmed, if you want to share the cost. I'll post that when it's all known.

The same group is doing a tour on our Ashdod day - port of Ashdod over to Bethlehem and then to the Old City of Jerusalem where you'll tour by foot and where we'll be sure to include the Gardens of Gethsemane and the Church of All Nations. I need to doublecheck the Celebrity site - when I read the descriptions online a couple weeks ago, the Gardens and another stop they usually do weren't available on Oct 26.

More later as I get things finalized.

David.

Hey John

I have more info.

I have also confirmed Montecarlo pick up from FCO to their Hotel. The Romelimosinetours.com guys quoted 60 Euros.

The Montecarlo is quoting 130 Euros for two from their Hotel to the Port.

The similar email quote from Romelimo is 170 Euros !

If you are ok with it, I would love to share a lower cost trip with you, using Hotel car, to get from Hotel to Port.

Romelimotour quote for Port to Airport is 170 Euros. I would love to share this kind of trip.

What do you think ?

I noticed I had one typo. My Alitalia departure flight is at 1035am, not 935am (nothing before 10am). I feel comfortable as I spoke to Derek.

So, if you are still game in coming to the airport a little earlier...

I look forward to your comments.

Be well !

Will.

That sounds fine to me. Happy to split the cost with you for both round trips. So please go ahead and confirm it with them if you don't mind. I am somewhat used to waiting at airport business class lounges so an hour or two extra at FCO is not a problem for me. I remember about 5 years ago, I ended up visiting the Singapore Airways business class lounge 7 times in 16 days during a far east/Pacifica run, so this will be an easy wait.

OK - worked through most of the planning today. A good use for a dreary day.

Naples - joining the PP gang for NP05, Capri

Sicily/Messina - waiting on a reply from small tour company that has a good rep for doing Mt Etna and Taormina. TBD.

Corfu - joining PP for CG05, Palace and Town

Egypt - Cairo Overland

Ashdod - AviTours came highly recommended, so I'm doing them for Bethlehem and Jerusalem. It looked more complete than the ship's option. I can add 2 or 3 other folks if there's interest and we can divide the cost.

Haifa, 10/27 - joining PP for HF16, Nazareth and Galilee

Haifa, 10/28 - Avi Tours is meeting me at 7:30am, and we'll see Akko and Baha'i Gardens, and back to the ship by noon for departure. I wanted to make use of the 1/2 day and Celebrity didn't have anything. If anyone is interested in joining, I can add 2-3 folks to this, too.

I love having these things booked (and paid for!) before the trip....

John

A note of clarification, I think. I will individually take Airport to Hotel trip. I just bought a brand new stunning (31st floor) Condo in downtown Toronto (clear view of Lake Ontario and our downtown skyscrapers; also near the Village), which I am finalizing with my Designer right now. Exhausted (even before trip). Move in Sept. 1. Money focused there. So, I have booked only economy class for my round trip (ugh). Therefore, I have only common areas to wait in for about 6-7 hours (if I recall your flight time)until you arrive afternoon 17th. Pretty sure I cant handle it. I am truly sorry about that. If I had my normal business/1st class, I wouldnt mind waiting in the business class lounges until you arrive and then we go to hotel together.

I still hope that you can you confirm that we will share:

- 130 Euros: hotel offer from their place to port

- 170 Euros: romelimousinetours quote from port to airport

Thanks.

That sounds fine to me. Happy to split the cost with you for both round trips. So please go ahead and confirm it with them if you don't mind. I am somewhat used to waiting at airport business class lounges so an hour or two extra at FCO is not a problem for me. I remember about 5 years ago, I ended up visiting the Singapore Airways business class lounge 7 times in 16 days during a far east/Pacifica run, so this will be an easy wait.

"V"

Great itinerary. Enjoy !

..."at least we will have Cairo Overland together..." ;)

I was thinking about the 3rd day in Israel and what you planned. It looks interesting. But I think I will be "excursioned-out" by that point, so will pass. Thanks for opening doors to others on special tours.

"W".

OK - worked through most of the planning today. A good use for a dreary day.

Naples - joining the PP gang for NP05, Capri

Sicily/Messina - waiting on a reply from small tour company that has a good rep for doing Mt Etna and Taormina. TBD.

Corfu - joining PP for CG05, Palace and Town

Egypt - Cairo Overland

Ashdod - AviTours came highly recommended, so I'm doing them for Bethlehem and Jerusalem. It looked more complete than the ship's option. I can add 2 or 3 other folks if there's interest and we can divide the cost.

Haifa, 10/27 - joining PP for HF16, Nazareth and Galilee

Haifa, 10/28 - Avi Tours is meeting me at 7:30am, and we'll see Akko and Baha'i Gardens, and back to the ship by noon for departure. I wanted to make use of the 1/2 day and Celebrity didn't have anything. If anyone is interested in joining, I can add 2-3 folks to this, too.

I love having these things booked (and paid for!) before the trip....

John

A note of clarification, I think. I will individually take Airport to Hotel trip. I just bought a brand new stunning (31st floor) Condo in downtown Toronto (clear view of Lake Ontario and our downtown skyscrapers; also near the Village), which I am finalizing with my Designer right now. Exhausted (even before trip). Move in Sept. 1. Money focused there. So, I have booked only economy class for my round trip (ugh). Therefore, I have only common areas to wait in for about 6-7 hours (if I recall your flight time)until you arrive afternoon 17th. Pretty sure I cant handle it. I am truly sorry about that. If I had my normal business/1st class, I wouldnt mind waiting in the business class lounges until you arrive and then we go to hotel together.

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct please confirm those two pickups

I received my pickup confirmation yesterday for Montecarlo hotel. Congrats on buying the new place in Toronto, it sounds gorgeous!!

right on.

thx on condo.

take care.

will (bill)

I received my pickup confirmation yesterday for Montecarlo hotel. Congrats on buying the new place in Toronto, it sounds gorgeous!!

Hi John

I have emailed both Hotel Montecarlo and Romelimousinetours.

I have also had to call long distance (with card) to both Hotel and Limo to clarify some things in their emails.

(1) You and I will both separately pay our 55 Euros for transport from FCO to Hotel Montecarlo by their staff on Oct. 17. Please note that payment policy is, surprisingly, cash only. I like my Visa Card for my transporation. The Desk Manager said he would contact his Head Office and see if they would allow a change in policy such that we can pay the 55E by Credit Card. I assume you would prefer that as well. I will advise you when I get a second email confirmation from the Hotel on the payment method.

This is important for point number (2).

(2) You and I are confirmed by Hotel Montecarlo for a Hotel Transport to the Port on Oct. 18th. Given the details I gave him about the ship, we will be leaving at 130pm and arriving at Civitavecchia at around 300pm. This gives us the right amount of time to do the whole check-in process, security, etc.. 600pm Embarkation time as you know. Now, they have re-confirmed the lowest rate out there (vs. Romelimotour), which is 130 Euros total. So we each pay 65 Euros for the trip. They initially expected this also to be paid by their company CASH (not Credit Card) payment policy. As noted above, I am waiting on them to change their tune and allow us to each pay by our Credit Cards. Again, I will advise you when I receive management news back on this leg of the trip. From my discussion, I am pretty confident they will take our Cards for transport. They are trying to go out of their way to provide good service ahead of time.

(3) Romelimousinetours - mgr Gaetano, is tentatively confirming us for pickup at the Port in the Customs area at 700am, arriving at FCO just near 745-800am. This is perfect for my 1035am flight. And, you are fine with waiting in the comfortable business lounges until your flight a few hours later. Thx. Gaetano has all my contact information and will have his sign ready for identification. Since disembarkation is 500am Oct. 31, given the customs process, etc..., 700am his limo pickup time seems perfect. He has my cell number in rare case we are delayed further.

PLEASE NOTE HIS COMPANY POLICY ("BRI" - you didnt tell us this) IS A CASH QUOTE OF 170 Euros. We split: 85 Euros x 2. The price is right. I am disappointed that he will not budge on taking Credit Cards.

REQUEST: I WILL GRUDGINGLY ACCEPT PAYING 85E CASH. BUT I WANTED YOU TO KNOW THIS. HE ASKED ME TO ASK YOU IF YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY 85E CASH AS WELL. (hope you are). PLEASE CONFIRM THIS WITH ME ON THIS POST AS A QUOTE. IF YEA, THEN I WILL EMAIL HIM BACK, SAYING YES, WE WILL BOTH PAY CASH TOTALING 170 EUROS. THEN HE WILL SEND ME HIS FINAL EMAIL CONFIRMATION REGARDING THE RETURN LEG FROM PORT TO FCO AS I DETAILED ABOVE.

Once this transport is finalized, one less thing to worry about.

All the best,

Bill.

P.S. More complicated than I expected (and I have seen most of Italy, except Siciliy ! (cant wait))

Hi Brian

For the quote from FCO to Hotel Montecarlo for John and I, Hotel is cheaper transport.

For the quote from Hotel to Port, Hotel transport is way cheaper.

We accepted his Port to Airport rate and are reserving.

One thing I do not like about them is Gaetano only works with CASH !

I cannot recall limousine trips I have taken around the world where a Credit Card was not accepted, and especially those Limos that do Tours. Private tours can be in thousands of dollars. Who would care that kind of cash around?

Have you guys and others actually used them for expensive private tours and paid cash ?

I would be interested in finding out more on that angle.

Cheers,

Bill.

William

Romelimostours is great. I just used them again in July and am using them again in October.

There are 6 of us (only 2 PP). You are welcome to join us but 4 of us will be at the hotel and picking up 2 at the airport on the way to the cruise so we are not going to be getting to the ship too early...though in plenty of time.

There is room fo 7 as we have done 7 to the ship with them before.

If you are looking to go earlier, I am sure there are plenty who would share a ride...it is much less splitting the ride among 4 or more than footing it alone :)

LOL....John....you could entice people to become pickpocketers with that kind of dough in your pockets :)

Bill....yes I have used them several times and for tours, including Rome, Castel Gandolfo, the Vatican and Pompeii/the Amalfi Coast. I have used them also for airport and port transfers.

We have 6 people this time so the cost among 6 is not bad. I just used them in July from Port to Airport when there was only 2 of us ...we were picked up in a nice new Mercedes and again prompt, etc. I like the peace of mind of using the same company. For larger groups they have a bigger vehicle but they are always reliable, always early, and always pleasant. We had 7 last August with no problems.

This time 4 of us will be at the Grand Hotel and 2 will be flying in the same day...so we will be doing hotel to airport to port in one trip. I would be nervous with a company I did not know, but I trust them without hesitation. Again...peace of mind. You are not under the same cost constraints and time is not as much a factor.

Thanks for the info, Brian !

The main messages I am getting from you is: peace of mind, professionalism, trustworthiness, quality and comfort.

And I will add one of my own: one less thing to worry about, on this trip.

I'll pay for that :D

LOL....John....you could entice people to become pickpocketers with that kind of dough in your pockets :)

Bill....yes I have used them several times and for tours, including Rome, Castel Gandolfo, the Vatican and Pompeii/the Amalfi Coast. I have used them also for airport and port transfers.

We have 6 people this time so the cost among 6 is not bad. I just used them in July from Port to Airport when there was only 2 of us ...we were picked up in a nice new Mercedes and again prompt, etc. I like the peace of mind of using the same company. For larger groups they have a bigger vehicle but they are always reliable, always early, and always pleasant. We had 7 last August with no problems.

This time 4 of us will be at the Grand Hotel and 2 will be flying in the same day...so we will be doing hotel to airport to port in one trip. I would be nervous with a company I did not know, but I trust them without hesitation. Again...peace of mind. You are not under the same cost constraints and time is not as much a factor.

Was wondering if any of you guys might be interested???

We have two couples on the Ramses overnight to Cairo described below. Would like to get two more couples.

If interested in joining us contact Steve @ Pacaya07@aol.com or

Brenda at RJones8656@aol.com

Day01:

Upon arrival you will find our guide waiting you with sign of your name start your tour to visit Sakkara that is part of Memphis's massive necropolis, and the burial site of the most ancient Pharaohs where you will see the first pyramids build in Egypt "Step Pyramid of King Djoser that was designed by Imhotep, the ancient Egyptian architect also you will visit tomb in Sakkara then you will be transferred to Memphis, the ancient Capital of Egypt to visit the colossal statue of Ramses II and nearby a still half-buried Hathor Temple then drive to the famous Giza Plateau, home of Egypt’s signature attractions to visit the Great Pyramids, ONE of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world including the Great Pyramid of Cheops, middle pyramids of Chephren and the little one of Mykerinos and mysterious Sphinx, the Father of Terror for the ancient pharaohs, the tour includes visit to the valley temple facing the great sphinx with shopping tour at the traditonal bazaars aand From there you will be transferred to your hotel for check in and having settled in and overnight stay.

Optional Evening tour you will be accompanied to attend the fabulous sound and light show at the Pyramids or and you will be accompanied to board your luxurious Nile cruise ship for dinner, belly dance and oriental show for 2 hours then you will be transferred back to your hotel for overnight stay

Day02:

Breakfast at hotel then start you visits today with The Museum of Egyptian antiquities that was built in neo-classical style designed by the French architect Marcel Dourgnon which exhibited collections now exceed 120000 masterpieces ranges from pre-dynastic era, Pharaonic era to the Greco-roman period in Egypt including the treasures of the child King Tutankhamen, Pharaonic Gods and Goddess. Then you will be move on to the Citadel of Saladin that is overlooking the city from the Muqattam Hills and Mohammed Ali Alabaster Mosque inside that was built in Turkish style and very similar to the Blue Mosque in Turkey and simply considered to be one of the landmarks in Cairo whose minaret can be seen from any part of old Cairo. Finally you will be escorted by your guide back to the cruise when you arrive Alexandria "quick" stop by the new library in Alexandria as well as a quick stop to the Alexandria lighthouse for pictures: departure time from Cairo depends on the departure time of your ship (200km)

Prices per Person

2-3 Persons 4-6 Persons 7-10 Persons 11-15 Persons

300 USD 260 USD 220 USD 210USD

** Children Policy

§ Up till 3 years Old totally free of Charge

§ From 3 - 12 years old, 50% discount on adult’s rates sharing Parent’s rooms.

Include:

 Pick up services from Alexandria Port & return (by the cruise exit door)

 All transfers by a private air-conditioned vehicle

 Accommodation in 5star Hotel

 Breakfast at your Hotel

 Private English Egyptologist guide

 Entrance fees to all the mentioned sites

 Mineral water on board the vehicle during the tour

 Lunch meal in a pyramids view restaurant in the first day (drinks not included)

 Lunch meal at Nile view restaurant in Cairo in the second day (drinks not included)

 All Service charges & taxes

Exclude:

 Any extras not mentioned in the itinerary

 Tipping Kitty

Why Ramses tours?

1-Pick up time according to Cruise Liners Schedules

2-Flexibility: it is private tour so you can spend more time at any site

3-Our vehicles:

Kindly note that all our vehicles are air conditioned modern vehicles. Always

arranged with extra spaces, which means that if you are between 2-4 persons, you will

be in a vehicle that can hold up to 7, if you are between 5-10 then you will get a

vehicle up to 14 , and so on.

4-So much variety of hotels choice

Accommodation offered: (upon hotels availability)

1- Mercure

http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-1789-sofitel-le-sphinx-cairo/index.shtml

2- or Pyramisa hotel down townhttp://www.pyramisaegypt.com/PyramisaSuitesHotel/gallary.asp

3- or Movenpick pyramids

http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/en/pub/your_hotels/worldmap/cairo_pyramids/overview.cfm

4-or Le Meridien Pyramids hotel upon availabilityhttp://www.starwoodhote

A pool of bodyguards in a black mercedes w tinted windows always follows behind me, so I'm safe LOL

Its funny though, I deal in ruby, sapphire, etc and most times cash is the only way to make a deal. I remember being in a town in Malaysia trying to buy Star Ruby from a Burmese trader with a wad of cash in my pockets thinking to myself, "what the hell am I doing here?"

Sorry I digress.

Archived