Where to view Pipeline up close?

henny

We were in Alaska 11 years ago (land only) and drove from Fairbanks to Artic Circle on the Dalton Highway. We are now planning a cruise/land with our family (me, DH, DS12, DS9 and my parents). I know my Dad would love to see the Pipeline as well as my DS12 who loves to tell people he touched it but was too young to remember it. So my question is - where else can you access it other than from Fairbanks? We are debating between the cruisetour or doing it ourselves (leaning towards on our own for flexibility). Can you get up close to the pipeline on any of the cruisetours? Looking at a Princess in August right now but nothing booked as of yet.

I've been scanning and reading these boards for a week and have learned so much. Thanks to everyone for sharing all this info!

So if we do our own land tour package and we don't go up to Fairbanks. Any other areas the pipeline comes near an area you can drive to? If we do Princess and do land first, flying into Anchorage and will definitely do Denali any places within a couple of hours to go view it? Or would we be best to include Fairbanks and see it there? I know the pipeline goes down to Valdez. Can you drive from Anchorage and see it there? Other scenic things to see in that area?

Yes, we know that driving a rental on Dalton is a no-no. Shhhh don't tell anyone but we did it anyway and we were fortunate we only got one flat tire. Not planning on doing that trip ourselves again. :)

You can see the pipeline from the Princess Copper River Lodge. The lodge is on a bluff and the pipeline is down below (I think this is from the southeast corner of the lodge property). Also saw the pipeline from the highway driving from the Copper River Lodge to Valdez.

There is no viewing area for the Pipeline anywhere near close to Anchorage.

The rental car companies now have computers in the cars that track where you go. I would not ever suggest that anyone drive the Dalton Hwy.

It is very easy to crack up a windshield (major cost to repair in Alaska) and body damage from rocks is a major problem.

My old Subaru looked like a train wreck by the time I was forced to retire it, but it did excellent service until almost the end of its life.

So if we do our own land tour package and we don't go up to Fairbanks. Any other areas the pipeline comes near an area you can drive to? If we do Princess and do land first, flying into Anchorage and will definitely do Denali any places within a couple of hours to go view it? Or would we be best to include Fairbanks and see it there? I know the pipeline goes down to Valdez. Can you drive from Anchorage and see it there? Other scenic things to see in that area?

Yes, we know that driving a rental on Dalton is a no-no. Shhhh don't tell anyone but we did it anyway and we were fortunate we only got one flat tire. Not planning on doing that trip ourselves again. :)

Take a look at a map and get a copy of THE MILEPOST. Since you have already been there, no, there is NO viewing from the Parks Highway. You realize the distance to Valdez? If you want to skip Denali Park- if short on time, consider the ferry from Whittier to Valdez, with a Avis rental car, then drive the Richardson.

When we were there before we did Anchorage, Seward, Denali & Fairbanks. I'm not familiar at all with Valdez, Whittier, Copper River area and I know enough to know that what looks fairly close on a map is not the reality when dealing with Alaska. So... is there an area you can get decently close to the pipeline in the Valdez area, legally, in a rental car? And what kind of time to drive to Valdez from Anchorage are we looking at? I really don't care to go back to Fairbanks - for me that was a one time visit place, but I know my Dad would really like to see the pipeline and I'd do it for him if that's the only feasible option.

When we were there before we did Anchorage, Seward, Denali & Fairbanks. I'm not familiar at all with Valdez, Whittier, Copper River area and I know enough to know that what looks fairly close on a map is not the reality when dealing with Alaska. So... is there an area you can get decently close to the pipeline in the Valdez area, legally, in a rental car? And what kind of time to drive to Valdez from Anchorage are we looking at? I really don't care to go back to Fairbanks - for me that was a one time visit place, but I know my Dad would really like to see the pipeline and I'd do it for him if that's the only feasible option.

You do not mention, how much time you have and what else are you planning on doing???? IF you want to add 2-3 days for the Whittier/Anchorage "loop" then you have excellent pipeline viewing. As I have already mentioned, this is fully detailed in THE MILEPOST. I suggest you make it a priority to get a copy. Try your library. New editions come out in March, so I do not suggest you purchase the 2009 edition at full price. But, the key here is WHAT else are you doing, I would think spending significant time getting to a pipeline viewing area is not going to be worth extra days??

I suggest you list what is your plan for interior travel areas, where you are going to route, and how much time. I can then give you far more useful detailed information.

IF you are going to Valdez, then having a full day there, for one of the excellent boat tours is well worth the time. Frankly, it isn't worth going to the area without it. It's 300 miles Valdez/Anchorage. But plenty to see and do in between, which I only recommend this route, if adding activites along the way. Hardly worth just going between the two cities otherwise.

Thanks for that info Budget Queen. That is exactly what I was needing to know. I needed to get an idea of how far and if it's worth it to head to Valdez. I will get the MilePost and check that out.

Archived