Valor Vs. Legend: trying to decide

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post here, but I have lurked on cruisecritic for a very long time. My husband and I took our first cruise in 08, and we fell in love. We were planning a trip to Vegas this year, but last week we saw an episode of House Hunters filmed in the Caribbean, and 2 days later, we had an Excel spreadsheet of every Carnival Caribbean cruise we could afford, lol. We can't help it, cruising just calls our name.

We have it narrowed down to 2 cruises, and I was wondering if we could get some opinions. I would love any and all thoughts and suggestions.

Here's the info:

Both cruises we are looking at leave on the 21st of February. Both are the same length. The difference in price between the two cruises is small enough that it is not really a factor in choosing one over the other.

Valor's itinerary is as follows:

Sunday - Depart Miami

Monday - At sea

Tuesday - Costa Maya

Wednesday - Belize

Thursday - Cozumel

Friday - Grand Cayman

Saturday - At sea

Sunday - Miami

Legend's itinerary is as follows:

Sunday - Depart Tampa

Monday - At sea

Tuesday - Grand Cayman

Wednesday - Cozumel

Thursday - Belize

Friday - Isla Roatan

Saturday - At sea

Sunday - Miami

Here's where I am torn:

I like the idea of going to Costa Maya, as opposed to Roatan. We saw a few shore excursions that we are interested in at Costa Maya (biking and clear kayaking), where as I did not find a single Roatan shore excursion that interested us.

However, looking at pictures and reading about the ships here on cruisecritic, I feel that the Legend is more enticing ship. We prefer the decor, the layout, and the size over the Valor.

I guess I am looking for opinions on the importance of itinerary vs. ship. What would be more of a deciding factor for you? Have you been to these ports of call? Have you been on these ships? Do you know the pros/cons of either?

Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance! I look forward to visiting these boards often :)

edit: I should add some biographical info about us, in case you all feel that might impact which cruise is a better choice.

I am 24, my hubby is 27. We're not big drinkers, and aren't big in the "party" scene. We go on cruises for an equal mix of outdoor activity (hiking, horseback riding, boating excursions), trying things we've never tried before (like swimming with stingrays, trying local food/activities), and relaxing on the beach (we've spent some port days just being beach bums). We go cruising mainly to reconnect with each other. Romance is a big factor- we like being alone together when on the ship (really hoping for a table for 2 for this cruise).

I've never been on the Legend. I was on the Valor in Nov and have rebooked another cruise aboard the Valor in Mar. I've done both of these iteneraries and you can't go wrong with either one. I've read that there is a new dock in Roatan. I was there in 2004 and there was nothing there then, but I've since read that its improved a lot. I was in Costa Maya in November. Its a nice little port. It looks like the last storm that hit it devastated the flora there. There is a swim up bar and pool in the middle of the port. We took a cab/bus into the shopping district on the beach. Do not try to walk this. Its further than they tell you. There are lots of vendors and open air restaurants on the beach along with vendors providing massages on the beach.

Hi,

My wife and I have been on both ships. We sailed on the Legend out of NYC back in 2006 and we sailed on the Valor this past Sept. However on the Valor we did the same iternary as the Legend, we never went to COSTA MAYA. We like the LEGEND more then the Valor. We like the spirit class ships the best. Less people, easy to navigate. Plus the Legend was our first cruise that started the OCD(obsessive cruising disorder) lol. This is not to say that the we did not like the VALOR. I loved it, my wife not so much but she did like it. She says Legend was easier to get around, but the public rooms on the VALOR were nicer.

As far as the ports are concerned, My wife HATED Roatan. She did the island tour(through Carnival) and I went SCUBA Diving. I loved it, great time. She said the tour was informative but otherwise she was not impressed with the island. We have never been to Grand Caymen, so we both did the Island Tour. It was ok, we went to the turtle farm, seven mile beach, thown of Hell and then we went shopping by the port. Belize we have been there before, and we just hung out in port area. We did the ruins back in 2007, and well that was great, but other then that, we don't care for Belize. Cozumel, we LOVE Cozumel. Doesn't matter if it is just hanging out in the port, going SCUBA diving or going to Tulum. Cozumel is FANTASTIC. If either of you or both are SCUBA qualifed you HAVE TO DIVE here. Cozumel is probably our favorite port. We LOVE to go there. There is a store CINCO SOLIS in the port area. It has everything you would need for souvenirs. If you can think it, they have it.

I can't answer your question because we have not been on the Valor, nor have we been to Costa Maya. But we did take the Legend's Western Caribbean trip last year. Roatan was our favorite of the 4 ports we visited. We booked a tour ahead of time through Island Marketing called Garifuna Mangrove Tunnel and Iguana Farm Island Tour. It was wonderful. And we loved the Legend, although the wife thought the "urn" decor was a little gaudy. j

We did the Legend this summer, you can check out the review I posted linked in my signature. We had a great time. The ship never seemed crowded and we could always find things to do.

We went on the Glory several years ago which is the same class as the Valor and did find the layout a bit confusing sometimes, however I enjoyed both ships and could not pick one over the other.

Now, I will say that Roatan was our FAVORITE port. We did the beginner scuba diving and it was amazing. If you like snorkeling or diving Roatan is the place to go. We were diving at Anthoney's Key and it had the most beautiful tropical island feel to it. We have even thought about going and spending a week in Roatan. I have not been to Costa Maya, but will be going this Summer.

If it was up to me I would go to Roatan, but I would also think about cost of getting to each port. Will you be flying or driving?

I likewise love the Legend and LOVE Roatan. As for shore excursions, go (early) to Tabayana beach...it is fantastic if you beat the crowds, grab a chaise in the shade, a pretty rock outcropping to one side and nice snorkeling right from the beach. Or consider booking privately with Victor Boden. Or how about a dolphin encounter? Rainforest tour? Also, with the new facility, it looks like CCL has provided a fantastic beach all it's own.

Roatan is a rare gem in the Carribean and should be seen now before time and consumers over-develop her like Cozumel and Cancun. It is a mountainous island unlike the majority of the Carribean which tends toward flat. Roatan has the most amazing vistas.

Have not been on the Valor but just finished a Christmas cruise on the Legend. That was my first cruise and I had an excellent time (except lousy weather in Caymans). The Legend was large without feeling like I was getting lost. There were plenty of things to do every day. The food was wonderful and rarely was there any waiting (tenders usually have some sort of line).

In Roatan we went to Maya Key just for a day of relaxation. It was excellent! Small beach, snorkeling, good food and beer, and an animal rescue/rehabilitation facility.

We decided to just relax at Roatan since the previous 3 stops were filled with excursions. But if you want to explore, check out what is said on the Roatan boards. Lots of people like Victor Bodden.

Though my DW and I have taken over a dozen cruises many on Carnival, we have not cruised on these specific ships. Notwithstanding that fact, we have been on the same class ships with Carnival and have also been to all of the ports you mentioned. The one thing I can say, is that I think the ship makes a big difference, as the Legend will be so much nicer. However, out of over 20 ports we have visited on cruises, Rotan is our least favorite.

Hi everyone,

This is my very first post here, but I have lurked on cruisecritic for a very long time. My husband and I took our first cruise in 08, and we fell in love. We were planning a trip to Vegas this year, but last week we saw an episode of House Hunters filmed in the Caribbean, and 2 days later, we had an Excel spreadsheet of every Carnival Caribbean cruise we could afford, lol. We can't help it, cruising just calls our name.

We have it narrowed down to 2 cruises, and I was wondering if we could get some opinions. I would love any and all thoughts and suggestions.

Here's the info:

Both cruises we are looking at leave on the 21st of February. Both are the same length. The difference in price between the two cruises is small enough that it is not really a factor in choosing one over the other.

Valor's itinerary is as follows:

Sunday - Depart Miami

Monday - At sea

Tuesday - Costa Maya

Wednesday - Belize

Thursday - Cozumel

Friday - Grand Cayman

Saturday - At sea

Sunday - Miami

Legend's itinerary is as follows:

Sunday - Depart Tampa

Monday - At sea

Tuesday - Grand Cayman

Wednesday - Cozumel

Thursday - Belize

Friday - Isla Roatan

Saturday - At sea

Sunday - Miami

Here's where I am torn:

I like the idea of going to Costa Maya, as opposed to Roatan. We saw a few shore excursions that we are interested in at Costa Maya (biking and clear kayaking), where as I did not find a single Roatan shore excursion that interested us.

However, looking at pictures and reading about the ships here on cruisecritic, I feel that the Legend is more enticing ship. We prefer the decor, the layout, and the size over the Valor.

I guess I am looking for opinions on the importance of itinerary vs. ship. What would be more of a deciding factor for you? Have you been to these ports of call? Have you been on these ships? Do you know the pros/cons of either?

Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance! I look forward to visiting these boards often :)

edit: I should add some biographical info about us, in case you all feel that might impact which cruise is a better choice.

I am 24, my hubby is 27. We're not big drinkers, and aren't big in the "party" scene. We go on cruises for an equal mix of outdoor activity (hiking, horseback riding, boating excursions), trying things we've never tried before (like swimming with stingrays, trying local food/activities), and relaxing on the beach (we've spent some port days just being beach bums). We go cruising mainly to reconnect with each other. Romance is a big factor- we like being alone together when on the ship (really hoping for a table for 2 for this cruise).

My family and I are going on the Legend in Feb. and we are going because of the Itinerary. Haven't been on a Carnival ship in over 20 years, but are going because we are bringing our 5-year old granddaughter and Carnival is supposed to be good for the little ones.

I have been to Grand Cayman and you can swim with the stingrays there or kayak ... lots of activities and a beautiful beach. I have been to Costa Maya and it is nothing but a little expensive tourist stop.... that was 4 years ago & doubt if anything has changed. It is almost at the end of the Mayan Riviera and it was a little fishing village not long before that. Don't know where you would bike. As I said, it has been 4 years, but I wouldn't even get off the ship if we were stopping there. Have been to Roatan and I have to put it on my list of top 3 most beautiful beaches. What a beautiful, little island. It's one of the reasons I chose the Legend ... wanted to go back to Roatan. Have spent a lot of time in Cozumel ... great for snorkelling. Only new port for me will be Belize and I am looking forward to seeing at least one new port.

That's my opinion ... hope it helps.

I have sailed both itineraries and having just got off the Legend on 1/3/10.

I say without hesitation Roatan hands down. We did zip-lining and went to West Bay area to Mayian Princess resort @ Tabayana beach. It cost us $10 PP for a chase lounger in the shade on the beach with full use of the resort pool,spa,restrooms etc.

We also booked with Vic and cant say enough good things about how professional he is and how much he really caters to you. Everything was exacttly as everyone described prior and he confirmed in his email.

Exit ship ASAP to maximize port time, leave port area, walk up road (small hill - 5 min walk) there will be someone will Victors tour sign who will drive you to awaiting tour guide 1/2 mile away at a staging area. After end of the day they will allow you to be dropped off next to port area.

We were back and forth on what ship to pick for our first cruise... and were ready to book the Valor but decided we might have an easier time getting to / from Tampa especially considering we are going to be near Tampa after the cruise. You can see from my sig. which way we decided.

It is a smaller ship but I'm OK with that... less size = less people. It's our honeymoon and a little less chaos is fine with us :)

My decision would come down to the class of ship and what you are looking for. Our first cruise was from Tampa when the Miracle was still there. :D I haven't sailed either ship but have noticed the Conquest class ships like Valor tend to have more nightlife, more "buzz" along the promenade - they are busier and better for fun, dancing, meeting lots of new people.

The Spirit class ships like the Legend (I have been on the Miracle and Pride) tend to have a quieter, more laid back atmosphere since all the lounges are spread out on different decks and aren't all together.

If I were looking for quiet, relaxing, more romantic I'd go with the Legend. More upbeat or with groups of friends I'd pick the Valor.

I haven't been to Roatan but we visited the Mayan ruins at Chacchoben with a local company - "Native Choice." They were fantastic and it was one of the best excursions I've ever done. I'm sure since the hurricane a few years ago the immediate port area and what used to be the little town are the sanitized tourist experience now, but if you get out and explore away from the coast in Costa Maya there are some really cool things there.

You'll still have a great time whichever one you choose!

I think you picked the right ship. I sailed on the Legend last year and every aspect was perfect. 7 perfect sunny days, nice people just perfect. I picked Tampa because I was taking my mother along and she lives near Tampa and I didn't want her to have to drive far. It was first cruise and could not have picked a better ship.

Archived