IFE no more?

voyager70

Due to the events on Christmas Day, I understand airlines are turning off the IFE (personal TV's) on international flights because of the airshow/GPS display. We are due to fly to Brazil in a couple weeks and I'm curious to know if this will be something permanent or if it will be lifted in the near future. We will be flying Continental via Houston. I hate to image a 10 hr flight with no IFE.

You shouldn't have a problem going to Brazil. It'll be on the return flight from Brazil to the US that they cut the IFE an hour before landing. Some airlines even take it one step further by preventing you from standing up during that last hour, as well as having anything in your lap - books, iPods, etc.

I flew from the UK to the US yesterday and once onboard (and past the secondary security checkpoint) it was no different to any other flight.

IFE (including moving map) on right up until final approach, moving map on, no restrictions on movement within the last hour of the flight etc. This was flying BA.

Archived