Auckland question for Kiwi Kruzer (or anyone else!)

When we go to Auckland in February, we are docking at "Queens" instead of where most ships seem to dock at Princes. I googled it, but it was unable to find a Queens Wharf. It found "The Wharf" at 2 Queens St, which appears to be a restaurant. Could you shed some light for me? We want to go bungy jumping off the harbour bridge and I just need to know where I am for transport purposes. Thanks so much. :)

When we go to Auckland in February, we are docking at "Queens" instead of where most ships seem to dock at Princes. I googled it, but it was unable to find a Queens Wharf. It found "The Wharf" at 2 Queens St, which appears to be a restaurant. Could you shed some light for me? We want to go bungy jumping off the harbour bridge and I just need to know where I am for transport purposes. Thanks so much. :)

when we have docked at Auckland we always dock next door to the Hilton and sometimes they dont close the curtains and you can see right into their bedroom

rkmw

thank you! knew you'd know!

and rkmw, that sounds like fun! I made that mistake at some port and left our curtains open, not realising we were about to dock as we exited the shower, not sure if they on shore could see me and hubby? oops!:D

yes thats right. I checked as many other ships as I could think of that were touring New Zealand, and thats the only day we meet up with another ship. The Pacific Sun is doing the opposite trip and we miss them by 4 days in each port. However, the Diamond Princess and Rhapsody of the Seas will be doing similar tours, with Diamond Princess starting from Auckland on 9 February and meeting Rhapsody on 10th at Tauranga so they'll have to share the available shore tours. We'll be able to wave at them as we pass down the coast of New Zealand! :)

Queens Wharf is the next one over.

They use it when more than one ship is in port.

Virtually the same area, although no facilities on the wharf and public cant get past the front gate.

3map.jpg

Dear David

Thanks for the map - we are on the Sun Princess in Feb and 14 Feb in Auckland. Am I right in thinking that if we didnt do a shore tour we could just walk off the ship and make our way into town. The Princess shore tours for Auckland dont see that exciting and I just want to wander around the city getting a feel for the place.

Having said that, if you or any others have some ideas for 'must sees' that would be great.

Is it the same for Wellington - can we just walk off into town.

Also I saw a photo you posted of a ship at Tauranga - looked like it was next to a lovely stretch of beach and a little township - good for exploring ??

We have booked shore tours for Tairi Gorge, Christchurch and Napier so far ...

Thanks David - any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Jane

Hi Jane,

Yes, in Auckland, Wellington and Tauranga

( Mount Maunganui) you are right there and can easily wander around.

If you go to the Ports of Call Board, Australia and New Zealand, there is heaps of info on those ports.

Hi Jane,

In Auckland I recommend going to Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World. It is superb. When we were in Auckland there was someone selling a hop-on/hop-off sightseeing tour just outside the wharf. We should have gone on that. I am pretty sure it stops at Tarlton's.

Hi Jane,

Yes, in Auckland, Wellington and Tauranga

( Mount Maunganui) you are right there and can easily wander around.

If you go to the Ports of Call Board, Australia and New Zealand, there is heaps of info on those ports.

Thanks for that David, will check out the ports of call board.

Kind regards

Jane

Archived