Live Silver Spirit Maiden TA Crossing

DebbieH103

NJBelle--WE MISS YOU! We look with a forlorn glance toward our old "places" where we sat together in Panorama and WE MISS YOU GUYS!

Tell Eric--we're having dinner with Alfreda and Vladimir tonight and we're serving the Spanish bellota ham there, just like the other night.

We will toast you guys tonight at Panorama and stone grill!

Live from the Spirit, we did measue the clearance between the foot of the bed and the dressing table. I'm temporarily relying on a walker...it was either this or cancel the cruise, but I did not anticipate the lack of attention to the needs of those with mobility impairments.

The narrowest point with the bench in place is 18". It is cumbersome to try and move the fairly large oval bench, so it stays in place at least in our cabin. You pretty much have to use the dressing table first of all because it has better lighting and because the only other US outlet is taken by the clock/entertainment equipment. Remove the bench and the clearance is approximately 22". To clear the corner between the hallway and sleeping area there is 25" between the wall and dressing table. Our butler is only now mastering her entry with a large (and very heavy) tray gracefully. The entry door is too narrow for a walker or wheelchair, so we have to fold up the walker before bringing it in the room. There are a number of indivudals on board with wheelchair, walker, and other mobility assistance equipment so I am puzzled by the lack of concern by those in charge.

Individual staff have been marvelous. The minute they see the walker they go out of their way to accomodate me. Their smiles make a difficult situation much easier.

However, access to the theater is an unneccesary problem. I have only attended two lectures that I really wanted to see. We left once when there was no viable way to get to a seat and no space to sit in the back. There is virtually no accommodation for wheelchairs and very limited access to seats. I think the concensus is that the theater is poorly designed. Unless you can snag an aisle seat in the very back row, there is only stair access to seating. Otherwise I and other people with impairments have to sit in the rather small back walkway either in a straight back chair or in the walker or chair itself. Not only is it uncomfortable, it also blocks the area for those coming in or leaving. And there is only access for one or two chairs. It would be helpful if they at least designated the back row or two for handicap seating. But although I have received numerous apologies from individual staff, the problem is just ignored. The theater in general is uncomfortable, but for those of us with mobility challenges, it is almost impossible.

There are a number of other issues with access, which I will discuss when I am not paying 25 cents a minute.

Love the calm seas and sunshine. This ship has enough food venues to please almost all tastes. And to get my vote in, we love dinner at the pool grill. It is simple food done well. Phil did learn not to wear a "good shirt" as the rocks do sputter grease. It may be a "fad", but in my book it is the best food on the ship. We have eaten there twice and have more reservations.

Just a few points from reading this forum and from emails received from PAX on board.

Congratulations to Ida and Wes on the renewal of the vows.

2 Gentleman went up to the Panorama lounge on Friday and Saturday evening at 7pm for a pre dinner drink, by the time they left at 7.30 for said dinner, they had not been offered a drink on either evening, the lounge was very over crowded and under staffed.

I also believe that the theater only seats around 300, strange for a ship that carries over 500. The captains welcome cocktail party had to be done in 2 sessions. This is the norm on large mass market cruising, but not on 6 star.

As for the dining options all I have heard is very positive feed back, everybody loves the new out door grill, by the sound of it, except "LORD OF THE SEAS" I am not as polite as others here, I would like to know if "LORD" is always such a negative pain in the behind or is it just on this board:):), also very glad I have not cruised with him:D:eek::D.

With the talk about the changing rooms, and the gym class rooms, the pool area size, ect ect, I think that it would be very easy to say the the designers of this ship have not lived up to the usual SS standard, as long as service standards remain to the level that would be expected on such a ship, I am sure all the other problems can be sorted with time.

It is also important to remember that since being in business from 1994 this is only the second SS voyage to ever carry over 400 PAX never mind the 500 that are on board right now.

Just a few thoughts from a cold wet Emerald Isle:(

Irish,

Yes,it does look like most of the guests that have tried the Hard Rock restaurant have had a good time,I am saying that this sort of dining experience is not for me. it is not a negative point.Debbie has posted that she had a less than perfect time in this restaurant.Some guests will not like the Seishin,Le champagne or the supper club for various reasons but thankfully there are quit a few options for all of us.

I see that you are commenting on the spa and pool area in a not too positive way but unlike you I will not moan about your post.

Yesterday was another Glorious sunny, seaday on the Spirit, temp was a balmy 82 with high humidity. Dining and service (La Terraza (B/L) and the Restaurant (D) continues to be exceptional (had a delicious beef tenerloin with foi gras). We will eat in the pool grill for the thrid time tonight with a group of 12, then we have our meal (journey through Italy) at Le Champagne Thurs eve.

Went to see the Observation Loung yesterday morning for the first time..what a very nice quiet space on deck 11...sat with Malcomb, Jean

and Dusababy (Mary Ann) for a couple of hours...wonderful company & conversation.

Doug, Lynn, Ida and I had lunch with Captain Corsaro...I kindly invited him to

join me in my daily deck run (up/down decks 7,8,9; 75 min) at 0545 on Thursday, he politely declined but then invited me to join him at 7 am for the docking into Antiqua..can't wait!

Venetian society event held on the pool deck for the first time on the spirit...very well done, but warm & humid, we left as soon as remarks were finished to head for the Lobby Bar and a/c. SS recognized about a dozen 100 day SS freguent loaters, about a half dozen with more than seven hundred, and a couple of cruisers with more than 250 days on SS, and a couple of frequent floaters with more than 800--many different nationalities (US, Mexico, England). There were over 380 Venetian members or 80% of the 500+ pax.

ps..Irish, thanks very much for the renewal wishes.

pss..concur with JoAnn on veranda suite access issue (frankly, most narrow veranda cabin we have been on in any luxury cruise (Regent or SS)

and I do not like climbing over the bed to get a drink or step on the balcony while Ida finishes getting ready for dinner)...empathize for the

mobility challenged...saw a couple of wheelchairs (that do not fit in the suite) outside their cabins enroute to the observation lounge yesterday

morning.

Lord; Please go back to your favorite Seabourn and stop slamming everything about SS. If you have questions we'll be happy to answer them, but we don't need your negativity when you haven't even been there and done that. As for irishteddybear's post relative to service in the Panorama Lounge in the evening, we're there every evening and have not experience any lapse in service. If the lounge is crowded, which it sometimes is before dinner, you may have a short wait to get your drink, but I wouldn't just sit there and wait for someone to offer when it's crowded. As my Mom used to say, "You have a mouth- ask!" When I've seen minor glitches in service, such as understaffing at certain times in certain spaces I've privately talked to Helmut(F&B Manager) about it. They want pax to do that. As my friend, Wes, says, and I know from my Navy career, "Praise in public, but criticize in private." It's Wed morning and another beautiful, calm, warm day at sea. The Venetian Society affair on the pool deck last evening was well attended and it was very well done. 95% of those aboard are members; very few first timers.

I second what Doug says. We've gone to Panorama every evening, and service has usually been beautiful. On a couple of occasions it was mostly full (we've arrived at something like 7:30 or 7:45 on those occasions) and immediately went to the Observation Lounge where they have a bartender and a server. Since there is almost no one up there before dinner, its like having your own personal bartender and waiter.

Last night we had a beautiful dinner at stone grill with Alfreda and Vladimir, who had the night off. We started by giving our butler two cryvac sealed packages of the jamon iberico bellota we bought in Barcelona (had it hand sliced) and asked him to have it plated and brought to us in the Panorama Lounge at 7:15 with our bottle of Dom Perignon 2000. This he did--right on the dot at 7:15, there is the butler with the beautifully plated iberico ham and the champagne. Fernando joined us and we had a beautiful time. Dinner which followed at the stone grill was, as always, superb.

Back to Panorama after dinner, where we chatted with some other guests and Mark, the pianist in the Panorama Lounge.

And today, our last day of the crossing, is another beautiful day aboard Silver Spirit.

Another great day!

PS Just to again echo what Doug says, on one occasion, they were fairly busy in the Panorama. On that one occasion, I got up, walked to the bar, gave the bartender my order, and had my drink in about 3 or 4 minutes.

Doug,

thanks for the info on the Panorama lounge.

In the theatre I know that there is no bar service but can you tell me if there are tables to put drinks on in front of most seats.

Just a note Doug,Seabourn and Silversea are both my favourite lines,but as you know nothing is perfect on either,just very good on both.

Irish,

I also see in previous posts that you have never sailed with Silversea,but you have gained experience from your mother and uncle.

I hope that you will one day sail with Silversea so that you may try a line that is a cut above the ones that you have sailed with already.

Lord I have sailed Regent and would find it very hard for SS to be above it, maybe level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

PS Just to again echo what Doug says, on one occasion, they were fairly busy in the Panorama. On that one occasion, I got up, walked to the bar, gave the bartender my order, and had my drink in about 3 or 4 minutes.

The 2 men that I refer to in earlier post not being offered a drink, are both over 70 years of age, and one is on a walking stick.

I must add that beside the 2 nights of not being offered a drink in the Panorama, they have said the service is up to SS normal 6 stars everywhere else.

They ate in the outside grill last night, said every seat was full, food fantastic!!

We enjoyed the pool grill, but I would like to see things like scallops and such offered there and just can't eat fast enough. I did present all my ideas to Helmut, and he also now reads this board since I directed him here. He is open, as are all the managers when they can actually do something. Logistics problems around the ship are things they are trying to work around. At this point, that is all they can do

There are no tables in the theater, just a wooden area attached to the armrest to set you drinks The seats are fairly tightly packed and most are intented to seat two individuals, but unless you are a "couple" it is a little too close for comfort. At least in my book. I guess it shows that I'm not a fan of the theater setup.

But we have experienced no lapses in placing drink orders, obtaining refills, pouring of wine, water, etc. It has been spot on. For example, Phil wasn't feeling up to par last night so we had room service, served in three courses. Our butler came in this morning, took the half empty bottle, and replaced it with a fresh bottle. I told her that wasn't necessary, but she was pleasantly insistent that we did not have to settle for a bottle that had been exposed to air all night. With a few exceptions early in the cruise, that is typical of the service aboard.

I am going to hate to leave next week. They may have to throw me off, walker and all.

The Venetian Society affair on the pool deck last evening was well attended and it was very well done. 95% of those aboard are members; very few first timers.
On the pool deck, did they get everybody in at the same time or are there two sittings? That is also an indication of how big the pool deck is.

They got everyone on it; no two sittings needed.

Let me go to the heart of your many posts reflecting an apparent huge (and evidently unresolved thus far) concern about size of the ship relative to number of passengers.

THERE IS PLENTY OF SPACE. SPACE/GUEST RATIO IS NOT AN ISSUE ON THE SHIP.

All is indeed lovely, but the most frightening thing is the concept of that Army guy, Wes, on the bridge tomorrow morning for the docking in Antigua. I hope that he knows not to pull levers or push buttons.:):)

Dieter

I don't think Colonels get too involved in manual work.

it's the lower ranks that get stuck in.:)

We saw that at first, most people brought in their own drinks to the theatre and as time moved on, it was maybe a half dozen people. What difference does it make how many bring them in? I still wish Helmut would have the greeters stand there with a few types of drinks. At any rate, we will continue to bring our own until that time comes.

If fitting in is an issue, I would think more people would think, "Why didn't I think of that" than "I can't believe they can't sit here an hour without a drink". It IS vacation.

I mean, once in a while we have encountered someone somewhere during the day that said something like, "you Americans aren't as civilized as us having drinks during the day". I then would say something like, "I have been awake since 3 a.m., and this is a holiday". Just have fun!

Anything that occurs that would possibly be a crowd issue has already been thought of by now, and the excellent management and staff are on top of this stuff all day every day.

Even the library/internet room is not crowded. People are not beating down the doors to all get to the same spot on the ship. There is more than one place to go on the ship.

When we were on, there was never more than 4-20 people outside ever, and the ship was still not crowded.

For those that frequent Regent, think about the Voyager lounge as something to compare to the Panorama. I certainly have not over-analyzed the size comparison (and though I have many thoughts regarding comparison of Spirit vs. Voyager, I am holding off on voicing those thoughts for quite some time), but I am pretty sure that Panorama is larger. Yes, the Voyager lounge fills up, but no, it is not a big problem. Usually, people are just happy to find out something is going on at night. Just think of Panorama like that.

Archived