Getting to Grand Anse Beach?

jbu

Hi, all -

I'll be in Grenada in a couple weeks, and have read that Grand Anse Beach is one of the nicest at this port. I'll be on the Ruby Princess, but I don't know where that ship will dock (I've never been to Grenada).

1) How far is Grand Anse Beach from the ship?

2) What is the best way to get there? Taxi? Water taxi?

3) How difficult will it be to get either a regular taxi or a water taxi?

4) Can I pay for these taxis with US $$?

Thanks all!

Hi there..You'll probabley dock or tender in St George. Grand Anse is a couple of miles around coast from St George town, can see the beach if you're anchored off shore. First time we went caught land taxi round was US$12 one way. Caught water taxi every trip since, much more fun than sitting in traffic! Only takes about 10mins, cost was US$3 or 4 dollars each way and run constantly throughout the day, just leave when the boats full. Look out for George one of the many beach waiters, great guy and will keep you served with Caribs all day! Now I'm jealous...Have a great timeicon7.gif!!

b863551f.jpg

A view of the town, from across the bay!

This is where the ships dock at St.Georges, GRENADA

Gda-490.jpg

-on this Western side of town

StGeorges-511.jpg

the long red roof you see,at left ..is the new Mall connected to what is their cruise terminal.

and this is Grand Anse Beach, where you want to go.

GrAnse-559.jpg

8274944a.jpg

Hi there..You'll probabley dock or tender in St George. Grand Anse is a couple of miles around coast from St George town, can see the beach if you're anchored off shore. First time we went caught land taxi round was US$12 one way. Caught water taxi every trip since, much more fun than sitting in traffic! Only takes about 10mins, cost was US$3 or 4 dollars each way and run constantly throughout the day, just leave when the boats full. Look out for George one of the many beach waiters, great guy and will keep you served with Caribs all day! Now I'm jealous...Have a great timeicon7.gif!!

Where are the water taxis? Are they easy to find? Are there full facilities at Grand Anse Beach ( restrooms, snorkel rental, etc?) . Looking for something to do with my 13 year old daughter at this port and the shore excursions from my ship do not look that great.

I'm sure you'll spot the water taxi running to and fro. They were running from a smaller pier to the left of the cruise terminal when we dock this time. If you're tendered into port, they were also running from where the lifeboats dropped us, which wasn't at cruise terminal, next harbour around. Don't worry, they find you! They also had a shuttle running from here into cruise terminal, to grab your $$! Worth a look, a few nice shops. Restrooms at the craft market, right on the beach, to the right when we get off water taxi.$1 a visit. No snorkel rental, as i remember, but my girls take their own. Buy before you go, works out cheaper, not much to carry really, they don't take the flippers! They have jet ski's and other rides here to. She'll have a great time, this is voted my kids favourite beach. Happy Holsicon7.gif

Just to clarify there are no jet-skis in Grenada. If you saw some they will have come of a mega-yacht and they have to gain special permission to use them from the Port Authority. There are definitely guys that tow rings and tubes though.

• 4 months later...

If you want a little local color, you can take the local bus--about $1 USD a year ago so not sure what it is now. After you leave the cruise terminal, go left for about 3 blocks. The buses are Toyota Hi-Ace vans and when we were there, the bus to the beach was at the front of the line, but ask. The destination is on the top of the windshield. You need to say you want off at Grand Anse as you will need to walk a couple of blocks to the right off the bus line to get there. To return, go to the main road and wait on the correct side of the road--if there is a bus coming they will stop--They have 2 guys on the "bus," one to drive and one to recruit passengers.

A caution, if a bus is off their main route, they will charge taxi rates. We walked over the hill to the next beach and vans kept trying to pick us up at very high prices. Since we actually wanted to walk, we brushed them off. The other caution is making sure what kind of currency the price is in--they will give you a price and call it dollars, but it may be in Grenadian dollars which will be a larger number.

Archived