Haggling in Ports of Call

cjackso8

We Americans aren't good at bargaining because we do so much less of it than the rest of the world.

About the only time I ever bargain/haggle is when buying a car and I always feel taken. As our economy changes, bargaining is becoming more common even in those "real stores" with prices on items.

I think a good rule of thumb is that a reasonable starting point is about 50% of the initial price.

Carry small bills...You do not want to bargain down from $20.00 to 5.00 and then hand the person a twenty to pay for it...and DO not take a large amount of cash out of your pocket..put a few bills in several pockets....We have had sucess at all ports we have visited, even at the larger shops.

I find it is part of the cruise experience!

I have no problem walking away after I have haggled. I simply say "there's plenty of other vendors around that will take my money." I don't buy that much anyways, mostly jewelry, and I don't shop at Carnival recommended shops either. I find better deals elsewhere. Also, don't wear a lot of jewelry or dress to the hilt when you plan on shopping, they know you have the money to pay.

I don't always haggle... sometimes I feel bad and think they need the money more than I need the deal. :)

While I always haggle I will leave a little room in the middle so they will make a small profit.

Best places to haggle prices, Cozumel and Progresso

Worst (for me) Grand Caymon

Ever try to haggle a price here in the US? You do it every time you buy a car. Play hardball with them if need be. Most big US retailers will not haggle but sometimes you run into a localy owned place that might.

I wouldn't normally suggest it, but I had great success in Ohco Rios. I got a wonderful painting by a local artist just because I didn't have any more money in my pocket than I wanted to pay. Got a bag and a wooden turtle along with the painting for $20. I was happy. :D

I love to bargain, but I don't do it much. I always get a guilty feeling.

I was in Cozumel last year and was looking at a silver bracelet and the girl came upt o me and without me saying a word, knocked $25.00 off the price, SOLD. I didn't get a chance to haggle. Then in Panama I was looking at a nice golf shirt, I was willing to pay the $15.00 and the girl, not the same one, walked over and said $10.00, SOLD. I never get the chance.

If the place you are shopping has glass front windows and doors they will not let you bargin the price down. This is in Mexico. If someone offers you something without you doing any bargining drop the price. After living in Mexico the rule of thumb there is if they are asking 10.00 US dollars offer then about 1/2 so $5.00. The general markup in Progreso with the street vendors and beach stores is you can get it for half of the asking price. If you get it lower you have scored a win....;)

I will be heading out on only our second cruise 1/31/10 from Baltimore on the Pride. Our first cruise was the honeymoon now over 13 years ago on RCCL. I do not remember the haggling details from our last cruise, but on a trip to the Dominican Republic two years ago it was classic! We left the resort (with warning from security) and wandered down the beach with a drink to check out some small markets. While inside the hut i was being served beer and cigars! The wife and I had 2 t-****s for the children, a bathing suit wrap for her, and a box of "cuban" cigars. The price i was quoted was $125.00. I told them I did not have that in my budget and would give $20.00 for the shirts and wrap and ended up with everything for $20.00! I was gracefully working my hand in my pocket to ensure all that came out was 1 $20.00 bill when my hand came out so my "this is all I have"would be believeable.

I haggled a ring in St Thomas several years ago. It was my first experience at haggling. I saw a Tanzanite & diamond ring I loved. Price was $4000. When they told me the price my eyes almost bugged out. I said "NO, I dont have that kind of money. They said $3000. I said "No too rich for me." and I left. Walking past the shop about 1 hour before departure the guy came out and said $2000. I told him "I have $1200. cash. Take it or leave it." He took it!!!!. I handed over the $$ and went back to the ship very happy.

I had that ring appraised at home and it was valued at $4500. It is a very dark colored stone and 10 very nice diamonds in an unusual setting.

So I had all this confidence when we went to Colombia 2 years ago. Again I haggled a ring. This time an emerald. Got them down from $3500. to $1100. Before I left I was told to be persistent and I was.

Who knows what I will come home with this time from Cozumel in just 2 weeks.

Archived