Haggling in Ports of Call

cjackso8

How many of you have been successful doing this? and in what ports? I was on the Inspiration last January, did all my souviner shopping, then found out once back on the ship that you aren't supposed to accept full price. I had no idea. Does this really work?:confused:

My mother is an antique collector, and could haggle someone out of their home given the oppertunity. Me on the other hand. Not so great at negotiations. In a standoff situation I would be awful. Luckily, this isn't a matter of life or death, it's a matter of full price or deeply discounted nick nacks.:o

I'm not a big shopper. But, I can tell you before you bid, know what you're willing to bid and stick to it. Nothing shows you mean it like walking away.

In Belize last year, my DD saw a bathing suit wrap. I told her we'd check on the price after our excursion. Well, we went cave tubing and were returning to the boat when DD reminded me about the wrap. I walked over and decided I wouldn't be paying more than $7 for it. ( I've gotten them as low as $5 in St Martin ) Asked the price, the vendor told me $20. I said no thanks, and started walking towards the boat ( It didn't hurt that the boat would be leaving soon so all the customers were heading out ) He asked what I'd pay for it, I said $5. He said $10. I again thanked him and headed towards the tender line. I got it for $7.

You must develop a poker face.

Learn to look disinterested.

Shake your head no, slowly turn around and slowly walk away.

It doesn't always work.

Remember, if you appear to really want the item, the seller has you hooked.

Don't set your heart on anything (or at least don't show the vendor that you have) and be prepared to walk away. If it's for small nick nacks after a bit of bargaining I pull out the amount of cash I'm willing to pay and say "this is all I have, take it or leave it". They usually take it.

Thanks for the suggestions! Its so funny, I'm ust so used to shopping, and paying the list price, that the thought never crossed my mind to argue pricing. I'm excited for my upcoming cruise to see what I can do! :D

How many of you have been successful doing this? and in what ports? I was on the Inspiration last January, did all my souviner shopping, then found out once back on the ship that you aren't supposed to accept full price. I had no idea. Does this really work?:confused:

My mother is an antique collector, and could haggle someone out of their home given the oppertunity. Me on the other hand. Not so great at negotiations. In a standoff situation I would be awful. Luckily, this isn't a matter of life or death, it's a matter of full price or deeply discounted nick nacks.:o

Ports of Call? YES!

I haggle HERE! Its part of the fun.

On a recent trip to the Straw Market in Nassau, I asked the price of a purse, and the lady said "the price is $20, but ya know........we got to work it, honey"! She was ready to bargain! Personally, I hate to haggle, bargain, whatever you call it. But, I find if it's done with a smile and a little kidding, it can almost be a game that both sides enjoy.

COZUMEL is a must Haggle port. My wife did very well there.

Let's see.... Nassau, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Cancun, Progresso... :)

Cozumel they wanted to sell us a necklace and 'diamonds' for $250... DH talked them down to $20 for the necklace (he really wanted it) and we skipped the diamonds, but they got down to $50 for all. I talked one of those abalone masks down from $25 to $9.

Cancun, I talked down a little figurine I loved from $35 to $15.

Haggling is a way of life in these places. Actually they are quite amateurs. If you have ever been to the middle east, there you have seen the pros. The last time I was in Jerusalem, there was a group of us and it was almost a competition to see who could get the best deal. I thought I got an amazing deal an extra piece of luggage I picked up where I talked they guy down from $70 to $25. Then someone in our group showed up with a far nicer piece of luggage that they had gotten (from a different stall) for only $20. Took some of my victorious feelings away :p

We don't usually buy much on our cruising stops though, so I haven't haggled too much in the Caribbean. We'll probably be looking for a few items in Cozumel this time though, so we'll see what deals we can find.

NEVER pay the asking price! Always "negotiate" at every port. There is always someone who will sell you the item at a lesser price.

The only time I would even consider paying the asking price is if it were a handmade specialty item being made right in front of my eyes.

1. learn NOT to love it tooo much..

2. be prepared to leave it behind..if you dont get it for what you will pay

3. dont act tooo anxious, keep a poker face

4. look at it casually, not hungry..ask to see a jewelers loop to inspect(jewelry)

5. hand it back (one or two times) with a very sincere "Thank you, tho"

6. price starts to come down

7. another "no thanks, too much for my budget"

8. hitch up your bag, pants, soda, child,hubby, look at your watch, and take small steps to leave,or killing a few moments glancing at other stuff in the shop..he will start to circle

9.the sales peep will start to bargin, and ask "what you pay"

10. (if it is, say $100) start about 1/3 the asking price..dawdle around near the door or another area of the shop..he will re-price item for you, lower of course, thank him again, but NO

11. look at it again, touch it, shake your heard and again say, gee, "my budget is not for that much"

12. then he will ask again , how much you pay..STICK TO YOU PRICE

13. walk slow to door..price will drop more..nowwww, your talking

14. it will be afew $'s more than your original offer.always smile and say thank you, NO..DONT insult clerk, by turning down totally if he meets your real in your head price

15. this is where the deal is made..cash or CC....if it is alot, I have part $$ and part CC

16. Be very pleased at yourself..and clerk will have mande some pesos too..always say "Gracias"..and mean it

17.If you dont strike a deal..go out the door, and wait/dawdle, usually he will follow you out, and then all is made good..he has $$, you have what you came for

18. count your $$, look at your CC receipt..watch it being bagged or wrapped

19. try to sweeten the deal if they sell trinkets.souvvies

20. pat yourself on the back for being so clever, and have a new "whatever"..on to the next shop

Most of my purchases..were "chases"...ie: $100 piece of jewelry ends up being about $30 to under $40...so my rule of fingers(thumb)..about 1/3 to under 1/2 of the original asking price

GOOD LUCK ladies..and gents!..let me know how it works out!!!

A rule of thumb: Haggle everywhere unless you are in a real store where merchandise is clearly marked with a price. If it's not marked, it's fair game.

Street vendors, market stalls, etc. are perfect places to do this.

Haggling is a way of life for many local vendors throughout Mexico and the Caribbean (and other places around the world)...some folks feel uncomfortable doing it but that's only because they're not sure what the fair price should be.

I generally start off with 1/2 the price being asked and go from there.

Sometimes the price seems more than fair and I don't haggle at all.

Archived