$12.00 question

Kelly07

The minute you leave your cabin, your steward or his/her assistant goes in and "spruces" up. Once you ask for something, like ice, they will automatically make sure there is fresh ice for you every day. I love not having to worry about a thing...no cleaning, no dusting, no laundry, no cooking...just having a great time! We have been very happy with our stewards on every NCL cruise and always give an extra tip at the end. Actually, we give an extra tip to any one who goes above and beyond to make our trip more enjoyable. Have a great cruise!

I thought he was under the bed?:eek:

This reminds me of a review I read a while back... The reviewer was talking about how wonderful the cabin steward was. He said he got up one night to use the bathroom and when he returned... his bed was made. :p

I'm 67 years old and I won't use a bath towel more than once. I refuse to wipe my face with a towel that I (or someone else) has used to wipe their butt!

I can't argue with that. However, that's why I always use a smaller face towel to dry off my face. I use the larger bath towel for the rest of my body. That way, I have no problem using it more than once.

I thought he was under the bed?:eek:

You know, all those little errands my wife sends me on (like going to the bar furthest away to get her a drink, or going to the blue lagoon to get her a burger) are starting to make sense now :eek:

Especially when she says, 'don't worry about an extra tip for steward...I took care of him' :eek: :eek:

Do you all really expect new towels everyday? Do you wash your towels at home everyday?

And do you really expect towel animals?

As a matter of fact, I do use a new towel at home each and everytime I shower. Its kind of gross to use the old one again. Esp when I have a entire closet of clean ones.

As far as a towel animal, I see it as a perk of being on a cruise vacation.

Diana

Thank you for your replies, I am just happy having clean towels for the next day and having our bed made. Im not really picky or demanding but would like to know what is available. Thanks also for letting me know that the tips aren't only for the cabin keepers!

Some people need extra hangers and bring them from home. No need to do that. Just ask your wonderful steward for more hangers - and there they are!!

Some people have those packing thingies where the air is sucked out of them. The room steward will lend you his/her vacuum for that (I am told).

Ask them for an extra copy of the Freestyle Daily. Some people want an extra unmarked one for their scrapbooks.

They will remove everything from the fridge for you if you ask.

Stuff like that.

Kathy

Do you all really expect new towels everyday? Do you wash your towels at home everyday?

I actually find the towel animals somewhat annoying and never know what to do with them, so I told our room steward on one cruise that we did not really need them. He said he was required to make them.

Kathy

Yes.

Yes.

And Yes.

...I also tip my room steward $2.00 every morning if I see him/her, (oddly, after the second morning, I seem to see him/her every morning after that!) I also leave a thank you note at the end of the cruise with at least $25 in it.

I'm 67 years old and I won't use a bath towel more than once. I refuse to wipe my face with a towel that I (or someone else) has used to wipe their butt!

In most sets there is a bath towel, a FACE towel, and a washcloth. No need to wipe your face with a bath towel. We use face towels for faces. My hubby and I each have our own, color coded.

I actually find the towel animals somewhat annoying and never know what to do with them, so I told our room steward on one cruise that we did not really need them. He said he was required to make them.

Kathy

He is not required to make them if you tell him NOT to make them. If he says he is then you call the Housekeeper and inform her/him that you will NOT have towel animals.

As a matter of fact, I do use a new towel at home each and everytime I shower. Its kind of gross to use the old one again. Diana

Why is it gross? Isn't your body clean from the shower when you use the towel? I've never understood why people think a second use of a towel that no one else has used is somehow dirty.

OP ~ This is from NCL's website under the FAQ's. It discusses the $12 service charge.

The "tipping" section is there too.

One thing you may not know, but on NCL ships, except for Pride of America, any drinks you order, alcoholic or non, already have the 15% tip added.

Spa services also have the 18% gratuity added.

OP ~

One thing you may not know, but on NCL ships, except for Pride of America, any drinks you order, alcoholic or non, already have the 15% tip added.

Hey Wink!

In December on Pride of America the 15% tip was added to the bar bill each and every time. Total for a drink of the day was always $9.50. And we had a lot of them!

NEWBIE - I pay the service fee of $12.00 per day for tips, the room keepers come in and make the bed and clean the bathroom. What else do they do or can we ask them to do? I don't mind paying the fee and will definately add more for good service but what is beyond their standard quality service to deserve the extra tip? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Kelly that $12 goes for more than the cabin steward. It goes to the wait staff and people who work behind the scenes that you never think about. What can you ask for? You can ask for ice which you get anyway, you can ask to have the refridge cleaned out so you can put your own stuff in it, you can ask for lots of little things. Believe me, they do more than just make your bed and clean the bathroom.

Nita

Hey Wink!

In December on Pride of America the 15% tip was added to the bar bill each and every time. Total for a drink of the day was always $9.50. And we had a lot of them!

Good to know, Phyllis, thanks! :)

He is not required to make them if you tell him NOT to make them. If he says he is then you call the Housekeeper and inform her/him that you will NOT have towel animals.

Why not simply place them in the corridor outside the stateroom? Should help get the message across! Towel animals, to us at least, are childish and irritating...we simply unravel them, and would not consider mentioning it.

I normally have other uses for the fridge as well, and will just talk with the steward prior to emptying it myself (& placing the contents on some shelf I've agreed upon with the steward)...so far, they've all been happy with that arrangement (and then I'll ask for ice or whatever & give a little extra to him/her as well) :D

I don't know how they do it, but sometimes, it's almost like they come in every time I leave the room. Does Steward sleep in my closet?

This is exactly how we felt on our first cruise last May. Our room was always in perfect order, we were in and out of it many times each day, and yet we never saw any of them. I felt like they had a sensor or something that told them when we left the room!

It's not worth making that much over it. We just thought, since we don't enjoy them like others seem to, that we would save him some time. If he still wants to make the little critters, then we'll admire them and then use the towels.

Kathy

Why not simply place them in the corridor outside the stateroom? Should help get the message across! Towel animals, to us at least, are childish and irritating...we simply unravel them, and would not consider mentioning it.

Not trying to get any message across - just trying to save the poor guy some time in his busy day. If he still wants to make a towel animal, so be it.

Kathy

If you are clean then drying your butt is no different than drying your arm. Do you change your sheets every day too?

Archived