Oh No! Another Tipping Question

qm2lover

Hi,

On impluse yesterday we booked the 4 night Eclipse 29 April cruise for ourselves, some family members and some friends. So we have no knowledge or paperwork or brochures on Celebrity yet.

We are all new to Celebrity and have no previous experiences of pre-paid tipping or Celebrity policies on this subject. I have looked back over this forum, but cannot find exactly the information I require for us to made a decision or to be able to explain it to the rest of our family and our friends. Obvioulsy I cannot decide for the others in our party until I have found this information.

We have been told by our TA that to pre pay tips for 4 nights would be £30.76 per person for the 4 nights. They also told us that the auotmatic daily tipping charge is $6 per person per day. Is this correct? Or we can have the tips removed from our onboard account and we can pay in cash (presumably in $).

What is the best way to go? We have no problems with tipping, but obviously would prefer the cheapest option and then reward good service with additional cash tips in person.

Any ideas? Views on costs? Uptodate information?

TIA

Hi,

On impluse yesterday we booked the 4 night Eclipse 29 April cruise for ourselves, some family members and some friends. So we have no knowledge or paperwork or brochures on Celebrity yet.

We are all new to Celebrity and have no previous experiences of pre-paid tipping or Celebrity policies on this subject. I have looked back over this forum, but cannot find exactly the information I require for us to made a decision or to be able to explain it to the rest of our family and our friends. Obvioulsy I cannot decide for the others in our party until I have found this information.

We have been told by our TA that to pre pay tips for 4 nights would be £30.76 per person for the 4 nights. They also told us that the auotmatic daily tipping charge is $6 per person per day. Is this correct? Or we can have the tips removed from our onboard account and we can pay in cash (presumably in $).

What is the best way to go? We have no problems with tipping, but obviously would prefer the cheapest option and then reward good service with additional cash tips in person.

TIA

We were 13night on the Equinox and we had a letter asking if we had wanted to remove pre paids we had to do it 72 hours before check out but it maybe diffrent for you.

Hi..we are on the 4 nighter on Century in March and I presume that you've booked to do Select Dining? My understanding is the prepaid is to compensate for not having the same waiters every night to build a relationship in the dining room doing traditional dining, in which case, you would have had the same waiters etc to give an envelope to for that cruise. I'm sure you could pay extra cash if you had a waiter in Select who deserved that extra on top.....now that's MY understanding..waiting to hear more because I am confused by all the prebooking for Select times..I just thought we'd be doing that onboard like on HAL and Princess.

You did bring up something that reminded me though....the cabin steward!!!! I thought that $6 was low on the recommended side but of course that would just be dining staff and you'd still be doing the steward with cash envelope??

I'm waiting for replies for your question too now you've got me thinking as this is the first time we've sailed Celebrity....so thanks for asking.

the best way is really up to you. If you pre pay tips I think you are stuck...you can always leave more cash but you will have trouble removing them...the maitre d on Equinox was the only con of our whole cruise. We attempted to remove that portion but were told it wasnt possible since we had pre paid the tips. If you charge them to your seapass and then for whatever reason want to change the amount you can remove it then leave cash

Thanks for these speedy replies.

We have booked 2nd sitting. Not Select. So I presumed the $6 per day per person automatic tip (that our TA told us) was for everyone. This did seem rather low which is why I would like some uptodate information if this figure of $6 pppd is correct. Or if £30.76 per person for all staff/crew for the 4 nights was the best option.

Too much choice! It get confusing!

Thanks again.

The best way is to either pre-pay or let them do the automatic tipping. It is not a huge amount, the cost isn't that different between the two (I'm presuming it is just the potential currency exchange rates) and the staff more than deserves it.

Service on Celebrity is tops. One can debate the whole purpose and customs of tipping but the sad fact remains that tipping is the primary compensation of so may employees on the ship that it would be a hassle for you to give them each cash individually. Yes this system stinks and it would be much better if they just received a fair salary, but it is what it is. One should consider the recommended tip amount as a service charge and just pay it.

Do take a little extra cash and give a little extra to those who make your cruising experience extra special - we always do. US dollars is preferred, second choice is the currency where the cruise departs, or its final destination and third would be whatever your own currency is - they can exchange this if need be for a fee.

TIA

Current rates on the Celebrity site are:

$11.50 a day for staterooms

$12 a day for Concierge

$15 a day for suites

These ar per person per day, and cover dining attendants, stateroom attendants etc.

The difference might be in the exchange rate being applied. We usually fin the exchange rate used on the ship to be fairly low, so you just need to make your own judgement there.

Beware - we booked our 1st cruise on impulse, and that was a 5-day - we haven't stopped cruising since. I'm sure you will love Eclipse - her sister ships the Solstice and Equinox were fabulous!

Angie

Hi,

TIA

In the UK the price is always quoted with tips in.

If you do not prepay then they are automatically added to your on board account - this is $11.50pp upwards depending on the grade of room you have, so your TA was a bit out on the costing there!

You can ask to have them removed and then you will get envelopes in which to place the appropriate sums of cash.

IMHO life is too short, esp on a 4-night cruise to do this and I would just prepay them!

£30.76pp covers everyone you have to tip but there will also be 15% tip added to every drink you buy and this is non removable if your TA didn't mention this.

I have read many reveiws where people favourably compare Solstice class to the Queens - so I hope you will be equally impressed!

Hi

We are also from the Uk and cruised from Southampton in October, fab weather unlike the awful weather we are having now.

We have prepaid out tips for the last three cruises so that we can My- time dine, the last time their was ten of us on Independance of the Seas, It was great we were able to eat when we wanted rather than a bit too early at 6pm or maybe to late for some at 8.30pm. We still had the same waiters and table everynight.

You can usually sign up for my time when you board and pay your tips on your onboard account at the start of your cruise, (this may work out a more favourable dollar exchange rate, I usually pay my on board account with a Flexaccount card as their charges are favourable).

The tips for Celebrity are as previously stated more like $12 per day per person and in our experience they earn every cent of it.

Unfortunately British people have got a reputation for not paying the required tips and agents giving out incorrect information doesn't help.

I hope you have a lovely cruise and feel that it worth every penny that you have spent.

Jem

Thanks for these speedy replies.

We have booked 2nd sitting. Not Select. So I presumed the $6 per day per person automatic tip (that our TA told us) was for everyone. This did seem rather low which is why I would like some uptodate information if this figure of $6 pppd is correct. Or if £30.76 per person for all staff/crew for the 4 nights was the best option.

Too much choice! It get confusing!

Thanks again.

$6 USD is not correct. The correct amount is $11.50/day/person in regular cabins, $12/day/person in concierge class, and $15/day/person in suites (because of the butler).

Are you sure that's not 6 euros a day? I believe the tips total around $11. per day. I consider that a minimum for the great service we get. The dining room staff and cabin stewards are paid a minimum ( about 50. per month) and depend on their tips for compensation.

It's the United States way not the way they do it in other countries.

Hi,

TIA

I booked the 4 nighter on Century with an American agent and because we booked Select dining she said that choice meant you were required to pre pay tipping...$46, which makes sense at $11.50 a day...It didn't seem to be necessary if you picked a fixed traditional dining time though.

Service would have to be pretty bad to find it bothersome to be charged that little amount ahead but why not do that cruise-wide, no matter which dining time, to assure the money got into their pockets and have the extramoney come as bonuses for excellent service rendered.

I booked the 4 nighter on Century with an American agent and because we booked Select dining she said that choice meant you were required to pre pay tipping...$46, which makes sense at $11.50 a day...It didn't seem to be necessary if you picked a fixed traditional dining time though.

The $11.50 is spot on p/p

Suggested tip, per person per day

Waiter - $3.65 per day per person

Assistant Waiter $2.10 per day per person

Dining Room Management $1.00 per day per person

Stateroom Service - $3.50 per day per person

Other Service Personnel - $1.25 per day per person ( not sure what this is )

That is the break down from my TA after I questioned the charge on my upcoming

7 day cruise on X

What do you all rec. tipping on room service delivery? Thanks is advance!

Here is what I do, I tip the $2 or $4

I go to my local bank about 30 days before the cruise and order $2 bills

takes up half the space and they seem to like them after they find out they

are real.

What do you all rec. tipping on room service delivery? Thanks is advance!

On most cruises our room service is delivered most of time by our room steward or asst. If that is the case we don't tip on the spot - but do consider it when deciding how much extra to tip at the end of the cruise.

If someone else delivers we tip a dollar or a few dollars depending on the order.

Archived