Princess dunns single cruiser !

Eddie4Paws

The solo cruiser is screwed again. :mad: Princess is offering $100 shipboard credit on select cruises. The fine print states that solo travelers must pay a 200% supplement in order to qualify for the shipboard credit. So if you book an inside cabin, which is a 150% supplement, you don't qualify for this onboard credit. This type of discrimination really, really makes me angry. Any thoughts on the topic?

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Travelocity and was told that this applies to any cabin category if a single guest wants to be eligible for a $100 shipboard credit. I asked if there was ANY allowance given for an inside cabin and was told nope...nada...zero...zip!

From the Travelocity site:

This offer is valid for new bookings only and is per stateroom, not per person. Single occupancy staterooms will only receive half of the applicable Shipboard Credit amount and only one per stateroom may be applied. Shipboard Credit may not exceed $200 per stateroom.

Based on double occupancy or better. Single guests must pay 200% of the cruise fare to be eligible for this Offer.

• 4 weeks later...

The American Queen did the same thing to me. They had a 2 for 1 sale - two people go for the price of one - however, if just one wants to go, I have to pay double. Forget that noise. What are these companies thinking? Some of us singles would sail a lot more often if they would give us a break in the price.

I have gotten 1/2 of the offered on board credit and have been sent some email specials recently that stated single passengers would get $50 of the $100 offered. You may want to visit some of the large cruise agent's websites and sign up for their email specials.

Good luck!

To be fair, they really ought to give xx% based on the supplement you pay. If you pay 200%, you get the full credit. If you pay 150%, you get 75% of the credit.

I have noticed that many of the cabin credits outright disappear when going further into the site. If you choose 2 pax they say "you may still be eligible", but choosing one and *poof* it is never seen again.

krosmon, you got handled with the 2 for 1 sale. I've cruised many times on those offers and never had to pay the double rate. That's what 2 for 1 means, you only pay the first person fare. It doesn't matter if there are two people in the cabin, or just one, you should only have to pay the first person fare. I've done the 2'fers on Radisson, Princess and a couple of other cruise lines. Someone messed up good, and if it was your travel agent, you need to find another one.

It wasn't a travel agency - it was the Delta Queen Steamship Company "customer service rep." Really made me disillusioned with that company. There are many places I wanted to sail on one of their boats, but I'll do something else instead.

I have always assumed that with the 2-for-1 they basically just doubled the fair (or restricted it to cabins with less discount), so a solo traveller would essentially be paying a 100% supplement anyway. Sounds like they have it all backwards. I wonder what they'd do if you booked a 2nd person and that person happened to get sick and miss the cruise?

Of course, this isn't all that different from the whole "double occupancy required" pricing scheme. I 've always wondered if that could be challenged as deceptive advertising based on the fact that you cannot actually book the fare shown. I'm sure that is why they have the small print though...

Archived