NCL's Deceptive Letter to Gem Passengers

defreeze

Just off the Gem today.

As some may have heard, there were engine problems on our sailing resulting in one port (San Juan) being canceled and replaced by a day at sea.

NCL delivered a letter to all passengers informing them of the itinerary change and stating that each cabin would receive a $75 onboard credit due to the inconvenience.

In fact, upon further questioning of the reception staff, it was learned that the $75 credit was, in reality, a refund of the port taxes for San Juan.

So, NCL was only refunding what they were legally required to refund, yet the letter made it seem as if we were being compensated for missing a port.

I realize that NCL's passenger contract allows them to skip ports for no reason and with no compensation. But it was deceptive to write a letter like that wrongly suggesting that they WERE compensating us when in fact they were merely refunding our port charges.

Lots of people were angry about this - personally, I would have been ok if they just came out and stated that they were refunding the port charges. But the way they did it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Just off the Gem today.

As some may have heard, there were engine problems on our sailing resulting in one port (San Juan) being canceled and replaced by a day at sea.

NCL delivered a letter to all passengers informing them of the itinerary change and stating that each cabin would receive a $75 onboard credit due to the inconvenience.

In fact, upon further questioning of the reception staff, it was learned that the $75 credit was, in reality, a refund of the port taxes for San Juan.

So, NCL was only refunding what they were legally required to refund, yet the letter made it seem as if we were being compensated for missing a port.

I realize that NCL's passenger contract allows them to skip ports for no reason and with no compensation. But it was deceptive to write a letter like that wrongly suggesting that they WERE compensating us when in fact they were merely refunding our port charges.

Lots of people were angry about this - personally, I would have been ok if they just came out and stated that they were refunding the port charges. But the way they did it left a bad taste in my mouth.

At least you got something back. I was on the Spirit a few years ago and we missed Roatan. I didn't get one thin dime back for that. Be glad you got something back.

I shouldn't be "glad" that I got something back. It was my money that I got back. I do not expect compensation for missing a port - I understand that that happens. But don't make it look like a gift, when, in fact, it is money they legally must return to me.

I think you would be surprised how many threads exist on CC about ships missing ports and the passengers got no refund at all (and not just NCL board)

So I wouldn't worry too much about the wording

Just off the Gem today.

I think you would be surprised how many threads exist on CC about ships missing ports and the passengers got no refund at all (and not just NCL board)

So I wouldn't worry too much about the wording

I guess I am surprised if cruise lines don't refund port charges for skipping a port. On several voyages I have sailed where a port was missed, I always was refunded the port taxes for that port.

I wonder why sometimes it happens and others it does not?

I guess I am surprised if cruise lines don't refund port charges for skipping a port. On several voyages I have sailed where a port was missed, I always was refunded the port taxes for that port.

I wonder why sometimes it happens and others it does not?

I've no idea either...I've been on (I believe) 4 cruises that missed ports.

We were issued a refund once (NCL)

Another time they opened a bar for 1 hr with no charges (RCCL)-limited to select well drinks

Two times, nothing at all (1 NCL & 1 RCL)

I've no idea either...I've been on (I believe) 4 cruises that missed ports.

We were issued a refund once (NCL)

Another time they opened a bar for 1 hr with no charges (RCCL)-limited to select well drinks

Two times, nothing at all (1 NCL & 1 RCL)

The one time I missed a port on NCL, I did get a refund and it clearly said it was a refund for port charges.

So since there seems to be a 50-50 chance in getting some sort of compensation due to a missed port, should we inquire at the front desk if we know that a port is going to be missed to see if a refund/gift will be given?

Like "the squeeky wheel gets the grease?" and "you snooze you loose".

You sure it didn't say 'taxes'? ;)

LOL, disregard my last post.:o It CLEARLY said for 'taxes'. Trust me, this time I know what I'm talking about. ;)

BTW, I'm not disputing what the OP said. Just saying they did let me know what the refund was for on my cruise.

DeFreeze, I must agree with you. There is very little "truth" in our society today. If it was a port refund, NCL should have called it one. If the $75 included an OBC in addition to the port charge refund, NCL should have listed it as x dollars for port refund and x dollars for your inconvenience.

Too much in our world today has been padded, plumped, fluffed, lightened, darkened, sucked out, stretched tight, made less than, made more than, been adjusted, readjusted, made politically correct and conformed, that we don't question anything and just stare vacantly ahead. If a question arises, ask. If a wrong has been committed, right it. If an apology needs made, make it.

Lend a hand, shed a tear, pat someone on the back, and make something better.

LOL, disregard my last post.:o It CLEARLY said for 'taxes'. Trust me, this time I know what I'm talking about. ;)

BTW, I'm not disputing what the OP said. Just saying they did let me know what the refund was for on my cruise.

I think I'm familiar with that cruise (and refund) LOL (in fact, somewhere around here I still have the letter)

The port charge per passenger for Puerto Rico is $20.00 per passenger.

That puts a new slant on things then.

I think I'm familiar with that cruise (and refund) LOL (in fact, somewhere around here I still have the letter)

That puts a new slant on things then.

Two per cabin $40.00 then the rest would have been for "inconvenience". I agree they should have defined how much was for what so cruisers would know they are getting back what they already paid for and some extra.

We had 4 in our cabin, so they owe me $5, but I'll let is slide.;) The thing that caused me MUCH aggravation was the way they changed the order of the other ports. I had specific plans that I researched carefully and then to have them move the ports around with no explanation was not good for me. The reasoning they gave that we are leaving St. Thomas 5 hours later than usual didn't make sense as it was a very short distance to either port. Luckily we were able to re-arrange our plans so no damage was done.

We had 4 in our cabin, so they owe me $5, but I'll let is slide.;) The thing that caused me MUCH aggravation was the way they changed the order of the other ports. I had specific plans that I researched carefully and then to have them move the ports around with no explanation was not good for me. The reasoning they gave that we are leaving St. Thomas 5 hours later than usual didn't make sense as it was a very short distance to either port. Luckily we were able to re-arrange our plans so no damage was done.

Good that you were able to rearrange your plans!

I hope everyone in your group enjoyed your trip and that nobody got sick either. Remember that you were quite worried about your son.

LOL-don't know about San Juan, but I do know some places charge less for children under certain ages

Archived