Weather in Late May?

MESPal

We sailed the inside passage the last week in May last year and will being doing it again May 22 this year. Last year it was cool and rained all day in Skagway, but all the other ports were just mostly cloudy. My advice is to prepare for rain, but hope for clear skies.

The only thing predictable about Alaska weather is that it is -unpredictable.

We sailed the inside passage in May 2008. The weather was gorgeous - sunny and pleasant temperatures-glacier bay was beautiful!--We had no rain but a little cloudy in Skagway- otherwise sunny blue skies. Folks that were cruising southbound with us had been on the same itinerary the week before cruising northbound. Originally they were disappointed to find they were repeating the same itinerary only in reverse direction--but they had lousy rainy weather almost all week on nothbound leg and could hardly even see the glaciers--They ended up being glad they stayed on another week- the great weather really let them enjoy the scenery.

Anyone have an idea of what to expect from the weather in the Inside Passage in late May? We'll be sailing on the CCL Spirit on 25 May.

Past May's weather can be researched on numerous websites like weather.com, weather underground etc...

This May's weather will require me to go grab the crystal ball from the closet. If I could 100% predict the weather 5 months out, I'd be beyond stinking rich, and would be posting on these boards.

We have done 4 cruises to Alaska --- all the last week of May. Agree 100% with Budget Queen that you need to be prepared for everything. No need to overpack, just bring a few layers and you can work around any situation that arises.

Thank you for the replies. I was pleasantly surprised on my Alaskan cruise last June because the weather was so nice, except for lots of rain most of the day in Juneau. I thought I might see what others have experienced in May.

Thanks, again.

We are going on the May 11th cruise so beginning of May... I assume we will also prepare for anything, including rain... What is the best thing you can do to prepare for rain? Ponchos?

I've used the long Walmart ponchos, in the $5-6 range. More sturdy than the thin ones.

I have a nice, fleece lined rain coat and my husband has a very, very nice Frog Toggs rainsuit, so I think we'll be okay. I didn't need anything more than that as a coat/rain gear last June. I wore 2 layers underneath, though and this was my outfit from the time I got up till I went to bed and I never got hot or even warm.

Last May we encountered no rain on the trip and even wore t-shirts a few days but most of the trip a windbreaker was needed. It got very cool when the sun set. Many people in the pools indoor and out! Who knows though canchange daily.

Archived