Antarctica demographics & more questions

CincyAL

I am just starting my search for the perfect Antarctica cruise in 2011-12.

With cruises running 8K or more, plus airfare to Ushuaia (or other port), just wondering what the demographics are for most cruises. (I am looking

in the 2 week range which includes travel).

Are some more English speaking than others? Who supplies the winter gear?

I am just starting my search for the perfect Antarctica cruise in 2011-12.

With cruises running 8K or more, plus airfare to Ushuaia (or other port), just wondering what the demographics are for most cruises. (I am looking

in the 2 week range which includes travel).

Are some more English speaking than others? Who supplies the winter gear?

The demographics depend on who you book with. My first Antarctica trip was on the Nordkapp, of which German speakers were the largest contingent, other Europeans and Americans & Australians. That cruise was bilingual in German and English. Hurtigruten provided a windproof parka once onboard and gumboots in a mudroom (wellingtons) - ie you just picked the size you wanted for each excursion. There were very few children on that cruise, age range from a couple in their late 20s on honeymoon through to people in their 80s.

My second trip on the Minerva was mostly Americans and Australians, Canadians. There were some Spanish speakers from Spain and Argentina, however the cruise was English language only. Minerva provided a parka backpack and gumboots (loaned for the duration of the cruise) once on board. There were quite a few children on this cruise (marketed as a 'family' cruise) who had their own program of activities. Age range from 8-9 through to people in their 70s.

My next cruise (South Georgia and Falklands only), Lindblad provide a parka if I order it and pack it in luggage from my departure city and DO NOT provide gumboots. I expect the demographics on that expedition to be European/American and English language only, but who knows what it may turn out to be - it may turn bilingual if there is a large group booking. Not expecting kids, age range probably 40s to 60s.

Other cruises market themselves to particular segments - eg Aurora expeditions has primarily Aussies, Quark a lot of Americans. Le Diamant and Hanseatic (both are ships) usually have bilingual cruises to cater for their primary markets (France and Germany respectively), although both have run English language charters.

Cheers

Thanks for the comprehensive and the first hand answers provided.

My research indicates that it's really not all that cold in the Nov-Mar timeframe, perhaps highs from 20's to 40"s or even better. Sounds like the gumboots would be the key for both keeping warm and safe mobility once ashore.

We just returned from the Minerva Jan 4 cruise. We were given parkas and a water resistant backpack to keep. We were also given Wellington boots to use during the cruise. The average age was well over 55.

225624885_P1010026(2).jpg.e1f0c380974c34caecbae080c07b8375.jpg

I went with Quark Expeditions for a peninsula cruise in December 2005. They are really experts is polar cruising and provide a parka (yours to keep) and boots. The temperatures were around freezing most days. My trip was a rather specialized photography trip so I don't think the demographics would apply, but call them up and ask. They run multiple boats and have such great experience that I can't recommend them highly enough and just booked another trip for end of 2010.

My next cruise (South Georgia and Falklands only), Lindblad provide a parka if I order it and pack it in luggage from my departure city and DO NOT provide gumboots. I expect the demographics on that expedition to be European/American and English language only, but who knows what it may turn out to be - it may turn bilingual if there is a large group booking. Not expecting kids, age range probably 40s to 60s.

Other cruises market themselves to particular segments - eg Aurora expeditions has primarily Aussies, Quark a lot of Americans. Le Diamant and Hanseatic (both are ships) usually have bilingual cruises to cater for their primary markets (France and Germany respectively), although both have run English language charters.

Cheers

Your next cruise sounds absolutely wonderful. What do you expect the weather conditions and wildlife stages to be late October? (advantages/disadvantages)?

Your next cruise sounds absolutely wonderful. What do you expect the weather conditions and wildlife stages to be late October? (advantages/disadvantages)?

Hi Marion,

The weather could be anything at that time of year - although I'm expecting more icy conditions land and sea wise. Late October and early November is seal and albatross breeding season, so looking forward to a lot of shirt-fronting fur seals competing for the girls and wandering albatrosses in courtship mode and egg laying mode. The Kings will have large chicks from the previous laying, and the gentoos will be laying the next clutch of eggs. Given the fur seals will be breeding, there may be less opportunity to land/more exciting landings due to their aggression but I'm sure we'll cope!

Most of all I'm looking forward to an entire week at South Georgia, more than double the time the other cruises spend!

Cheers

Hi Marion,

The weather could be anything at that time of year - although I'm expecting more icy conditions land and sea wise. Late October and early November is seal and albatross breeding season, so looking forward to a lot of shirt-fronting fur seals competing for the girls and wandering albatrosses in courtship mode and egg laying mode. The Kings will have large chicks from the previous laying, and the gentoos will be laying the next clutch of eggs. Given the fur seals will be breeding, there may be less opportunity to land/more exciting landings due to their aggression but I'm sure we'll cope!

Most of all I'm looking forward to an entire week at South Georgia, more than double the time the other cruises spend!

Cheers

Thanks for your response. It is obvious you love the region, with your return visits.

I'd just been thinking wouldn't it be nice if a ship just visited the Falkland Islands and South Georgia on longer visits and presto!

Thanks for your response. It is obvious you love the region, with your return visits.

I'd just been thinking wouldn't it be nice if a ship just visited the Falkland Islands and South Georgia on longer visits and presto!

Lindblad is the only one I could find that does Sth Georgia WITHOUT Antarctica, and they don't do it every year. It just happens 2010 is the year & I'm in the area! The NG Explorer is a converted Norwegian ferry, so will be very similar to the Nordkapp.

The other alternative is to charter an ice-breaking yacht (when I win the lottery!). The Hanse Explorer was in the Falklands when the Minerva was sheltering there from a hurricane, and looks the goods...

Cheers

CincyAl,

Just returned from Silversea's 11 day trip Ush-Ush. It was posh. We were only 99 passengers so we all spent the entire landing time ashore. They provided parkas and backpacks--we looked like a new species of penguin. They also had wellies or gum boots for use by passengers. We made one to two landings a day once out of the dreaded Drake Passage. Would advise getting some type of seasick med--I used the patch and had no problem. It is as if someone took the color out of the worls and left you with shades of black and white. This was our last continent--have now walked on all seven. Happy to try to answer any other questions you might have. Pat

I just checked Silversea website, the Antarctica cruises were listed under Silversea India website??? I am guessing that you were on the Prince Albert II, I thought I saw other vendors also using this ship? Were flights or hotels included in SA? What made you select Silversea?

CincyAl.

We were on the Prince Albert II. You can include air and hotel. We used ff miles and a free nite at the Marriott. You will pay for the charter flight from BA to Ush.... with the cruise fare. You will need to go a day early because of the timing of the flights--international gets in after the domestic leaves. They are also from 2 different airports. We chose SS because the maximum number of pax is 131. It also was a lovely way to cruise--beautiful cabins, wonderful food. great staff and a super expedition staff. As I said we were only 99 a magic number for landings--able to have a maximum amount of time on land. The Drake Passage lives up to its reputation as mean at times, so I wouldn't book a cabin above deck 4. Would never want to be on deck 7. Pat

CincyAl.

We were on the Prince Albert II. You can include air and hotel. We used ff miles and a free nite at the Marriott. You will pay for the charter flight from BA to Ush.... with the cruise fare. You will need to go a day early because of the timing of the flights--international gets in after the domestic leaves. They are also from 2 different airports. Pat

That depends on the airline and routing, This is true if you fly American from JFK, but not ture if you fly in from Miami or Dallas. Nevertheless, it is a good idea to allow an extra day if you arrange your own travel. We were delayed by a day and the extra time worked well for us. I takes about an hour to travel between the 2 airports.

CincyAl,

Just returned from Silversea's 11 day trip Ush-Ush. It was posh. We were only 99 passengers so we all spent the entire landing time ashore. They provided parkas and backpacks--we looked like a new species of penguin. They also had wellies or gum boots for use by passengers. We made one to two landings a day once out of the dreaded Drake Passage. Would advise getting some type of seasick med--I used the patch and had no problem. It is as if someone took the color out of the worls and left you with shades of black and white. This was our last continent--have now walked on all seven. Happy to try to answer any other questions you might have. Pat

Pat

We will be on the PAII this December. I was wondering how much you packed for the trip. Did you bring just one pair of waterproof pants and was it necessary for them to be insulated? Did you have any problems with the boots the ship supplied. I heard stories from others about mix ups with boots.

Beth,

We ordered our waterproof pants from LL Bean--$39. They are not insulated and were great. Could fit cuddle duds and warm pants under mine. There are plenty of boots on board. We bought ours at WalMart $20 and left them. They are heavy. We also took some camping handwarmers and used them a few times. The best thing we took was a collapsible walking stick--very handy on the uneven terrain. We got them at Dick's Sporting goods-$20. A warm hat will be good, sometimes the hood of the parka just gets in the way. These are not down parkas--they have a microfiber fleece liner and are very warm. There is a self service launderette on board. Really just need to pack a weeks worth of clothes.

You will have a marvelous trip. Pat

We also used fleece tops and pants (Eddie Bauer) with a thin layer underneath ($20 at Costco). One waterproof rain pants worked fine. I was surprised that we did not need to use heavy gloves. Wool cap under the parka hood. Parka was waterproof and warm enough. Ship's boots were just fine. I used foot warmers and 2 layers of socks. Took hand warmers but never used them. Used thin gloves since they made it easy for photography. Carried medium weight gloves in the parka pocket just in case.

Pacmom

Thank you for the information. I was also wondering how people dressed for dinner. I know there are no fomal nights on PAII but I am trying to keep down on the amount of luggage we take. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you have travelled with SS before there is one dressy nite. I took a pair of Laura Ashley travel pants for the welcome and farewell dinners--easy to pack. There were so many countries represented that dress was so varied. Slacks and a top were fine. DH did take a sport coat for those two dinners, but no tie. Pat

• 1 month later...

I was on a 2 week Lindblad/National Geographic expedition in mid January, 2010. We were 148 people and almost everyone was American. There were people of all ages (including 4 kids) but the majority of people were over 35. There were a lot of retirees as well.

I did hear from a staff member that in December there were about 20 kids (probably because it corresponded with their holiday break).

I forgot to add dress code is casual. There are no dressy nights on the ship. Most people wore fleece type products.

We had to buy our own boots and other clothes and gear but there was a free parka waiting for us on the ship.

Archived