What happens on board during an earthquake?

catnanny

I was concerned about this also, until I watched " Deadliest Catch" . Those guys go out in ships much smaller, and run around deck in storm surge of 10 to 20 ft like we would run to get our paper at the end of the driveway on a rainy morning. Happy Sailing :)

What? That makes NO SENSE!

Whether Rouge, Azure, Cyan, or even Yellow, you needn't worry too much about colored waves - unless it's a Red Tide.

But ROGUE waves - although incredibly rare - could be a problem.

Wow !!! Thanks for clearing THAT up. I was trying to figure out how to apply a rouge wave to my cheeks. (The ones on my face)

Whether Rouge, Azure, Cyan, or even Yellow, you needn't worry too much about colored waves - unless it's a Red Tide.

But ROGUE waves - although incredibly rare - could be a problem.

Puce! Don't forget about the deadly puce waves!! Ahhhh, the humanity!!

We were aboard ship, in Kona harbor, when an earthquake hit the big island of Hawaii a few years ago. The only reason we felt anything was because it was a tendering port for the ship so had anchors down.

My husband and I were having coffee and pastry in our cabin at about 7:30am when we heard a LOUD sound of chains and the ship shook. Since they were using lifeboats as tenders, we thought they'd 'dropped' a couple of the lifeboats as they were being released. Not so. The captain was on the speaker system almost immediately to say an earthquake had just hit the island but the ship was fine.

The noisy chain sound was the earthquake motion coming up through the anchor chains from the sea floor below. What an experience! If we'd still been at sea, the ship wouldn't have felt the quake at all.

Because of the damage to the island roads, buildings, etc no more passengers could go ashore. The ones who'd already landed there were located and told to return to the ship and by 10:30am the ship was departing the area.

Archived