What happens on board during an earthquake?

catnanny

You mean that when a major earthquake strikes we DON'T have to endure Maureen McGovern singing There's Got To Be A Morning After? Thank heavens!

InThe

(PS: suggestion: donate to earthquake relief in Haiti, through World Vision, Mercy Corp, American Red Cross, or some other reputable organization. Don't get scammed by opportunistic eLooter vermin.)

And if you want a non-denominational organization which doesn't discriminate....try oneXone.org (Matt Damon is their spokesperson)

And if you want a non-denominational organization which doesn't discriminate....try oneXone.org (Matt Damon is their spokesperson)

Woof. Sorry if I pushed a tender button. I wasn't aware that any of those organizations I listed "discriminate". All I did was list three of the four organizations for which my employer (a small corporation of 80,000-plus employees, several dozen of whom make their living doing nothing but assuring that every breath we take is a non-discriminatory inhale followed promptly by a non-discriminatory exhale) will make a matching donation, and I take it at their word that these organizations are reputable, non-discriminatory, and low overhead. Satisfying myself that one of them was all three of those things, I sent them the equivalent of a Cruise Reward certie yesterday, and my company will match it forthwith. (And I didn't do it sooner because I was away on vacation, and out of touch with current events. I heard there was a quake; I didn't know it was a whopper.)

That would depend on the location and other things BUT in the 64 Alaska quake there was a freighter in port and a sailor on board taking video at the time it struck, ALL the water drew out of the bay and the ship tipped half way onto it's side. THEN the water in the form of a sunami came back into the bay and flooded the entire port, the ship was pushed onto the shore and ended up a ways inland.

So do not think just because you are on a ship you are okay.

Granted if you are OUT to sea and quake hits in the ocean a sunami would be created but would have little effect on the ship AT SEA.

That is true. I remember seeing a program about the Alaska Earthquake on tv and they showed that. I'm sure the odds of that happening are quite small, as are the chances of an earthquake. I've lived in CA for 31 yrs and have only felt 2.

All in all, I wouldn't worry.

From the OP, Catnanny, thanks to everyone for your answers, responses, and all the other bits of information in between. To Bike1965, or 1964, I forget which one, it was fun! As a teacher, I think if you can add humor to a lesson, it makes it all much more fun, meaningful, and easier to remember the lesson. Happy sailing, all. Just to be safe, though, lets try to stay away from earthquakes, especially if we are in the loo.

Woof. Sorry if I pushed a tender button. I wasn't aware that any of those organizations I listed "discriminate". All I did was list three of the four organizations for which my employer (a small corporation of 80,000-plus employees, several dozen of whom make their living doing nothing but assuring that every breath we take is a non-discriminatory inhale followed promptly by a non-discriminatory exhale) will make a matching donation, and I take it at their word that these organizations are reputable, non-discriminatory, and low overhead. Satisfying myself that one of them was all three of those things, I sent them the equivalent of a Cruise Reward certie yesterday, and my company will match it forthwith. (And I didn't do it sooner because I was away on vacation, and out of touch with current events. I heard there was a quake; I didn't know it was a whopper.)

I'm not sure why you think you pushed any tender buttons. The ones you named are certainly the best known charities, yet several are religion-based, and the Red Cross lumps all gay people together and refuses to let healthy ones give blood... my parents do volunteer work for the St. Vincent de Paul. Would "I" support it? No....do I resent them for doing so? No.

OneXone is a newish charity, and if nobody mentions them, they'll never be better known.

That's all.

I mentioned this thread to my DH and he asked, what if a huge crack opened on the ocean's floor and sucked all the water down into it? Then what would happen?

That's easy. Then you'd emerge in China! :p

I'm just curious, as we are sailing to The Grand Cayman Island in March. There was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake that happened in the sea near the Grand Cayman Islands this morning. Thankfully, from what I read, there were no people hurt. Living in Ohio, I've experienced very few earthquakes. What happens to a cruise ship if it is near an earthquake? Please excuse me if this seems like a stupid question. (I may be just stupid for asking?) Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

You might feel it. We were sailing during the night between Roatan and Belize in May 2009. We were woken by the sudden shuddering of the ship and the noise of wine glasses on the desk chinging together, and items falling off bathroom shelves. It didn't last long, and we didn't know until the next day that it was an earthquake.

That is true. I remember seeing a program about the Alaska Earthquake on tv and they showed that. I'm sure the odds of that happening are quite small, as are the chances of an earthquake. I've lived in CA for 31 yrs and have only felt 2.

All in all, I wouldn't worry.

I know quite a bit about that quake, since my sister was IN it in Anchorage. I was 11 at the time and it was the worst week of my life until of all things a post card arrived letting us know she was Okay. Red cross, ham radio etc. none of that helped but the POST OFFICE managed to deliver a post card that she had dropped in a mailbox that she had to climb up a ten foot, hill, road lifted ten feet, across the street from what was left of the house she was staying in to mail.

I mentioned this thread to my DH and he asked, what if a huge crack opened on the ocean's floor and sucked all the water down into it? Then what would happen?

Sounds like you might go to 'Middle Earth' ;)

I was on a ship at Acapulco when they had an earthquake.... the ship bumped a bit and we first though another ship in port had run into us (they evidently felt the same). Then looking out we could see buildings swaying (but not coming down). What did happen was that all shore excursions were stopped and they ones on shore were recalled. It was really a non-event, but the Captain was being careful. As to a big crack opening up ... if an earthquake was that bad, a lot of people would have a lot more to worry about ... it would be much worse than Haiti. Somewhere on the internet there are some great pictures of volcanic eruptions (associated with earthquakes) under water near Tonga.... spectacular but a bit scary. An earthquake or tsunami while on on ship are not really something to worry about.... now, if you are on land..........

Susan

I was aboard a cruise ship anchored in Kona Harbor a couple years ago when the earthquake hit Kona. We were having breakfast in our cabin when suddenly it sounded as if several lifeboats (being used as tenders) had been dropped since there was a loud sound of chains and the ship shuddered. Our small table only moved a bit, didn't even spill our coffee.

Within minutes the Captain was on the intercom saying there was nothing wrong with the ship but an earthquake had just struck Kona.

If we'd been docked we wouldn't have experienced it, but because we were anchored, the earthquake shook the anchor chains which reverberated up to the ship. That's what made all the racket.

In a pique of Nickel and Diming, they would add a surcharge for an unscheduled excursion accompanied by an Emerson,Lake and Palmer album.

I'm just curious, as we are sailing to The Grand Cayman Island in March. There was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake that happened in the sea near the Grand Cayman Islands this morning. Thankfully, from what I read, there were no people hurt. Living in Ohio, I've experienced very few earthquakes. What happens to a cruise ship if it is near an earthquake? Please excuse me if this seems like a stupid question. (I may be just stupid for asking?) Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

The ship stops rocking.:D

What about a rouge wave?

What about it?

From what I understand....it pops up out of nowhere even in good weather. Can go undetected as we know it did on the "Dawn" awhile back. May have nothing at all to do with any earthquakes.

I suggest you "google" it...to get better info.

It seems that what I described about alaska and the Bay drawing out and coming back as a wave also happened in Haiti. CNN is reporting today from a coastal area where people had been at the beach when all the water drained away and then swept back in taking several people with it. also the water line is now much further ashore there than it had been, So I would say it happens more often than perhaps thought.

Now of course no cruise ship was anchored in that spot.

• 2 months later...

I was concerned about this also, until I watched " Deadliest Catch" . Those guys go out in ships much smaller, and run around deck in storm surge of 10 to 20 ft like we would run to get our paper at the end of the driveway on a rainy morning. Happy Sailing :)

Archived