Divorced mom bringing 3 kids--need ex's permission?

ntengwall

Ok, I have a letter question. Not sailing till march 26th. Due to bitterness with my ex I will do my best to get a letter. My question is, Is there an expiration date on the letter? Say I get a signed notorized permission letter at the custody hearing this month, would it still be good in march?

Ok, I have a letter question. Not sailing till march 26th. Due to bitterness with my ex I will do my best to get a letter. My question is, Is there an expiration date on the letter? Say I get a signed notorized permission letter at the custody hearing this month, would it still be good in march?

It will depend on what the letter says. Theoretically, you can draft a letter that says it's good for a specific trip on a specific date, or a letter that says it's good for any trip until a specified date, or a letter that says it is good for all travel until the child turns 18 and a letter is no longer needed. Whether your ex signs it, and/or whether a judge orders him to do so is another matter that will depend on the specifics of your case.

As I stated before, if you are the child or children's parent IMHO "the letter" is not needed. Just make certain the passport or birth certicate is in hand and "name bridging" documents are in order.

We've been on multiple cruises without this letter with no problems.

That being said, if you feel you must have this letter for absolute piece of mind, a suggestion would be to specify the exact dates the child or children will be on the cruise with you, mentioning the name of the ship, port of departure and arrival back, and intermediate ports of call. Of course you would mention your name, ex's name, kid(s) name(s), etc. This is similar to a letter which would be drafted for a minor traveling with an unrelated adult.

I am a widow. I have cruised with my children on 3 different occasions. I read the RCCL website carefully and never saw any suggestion of bringing a death certificate and no one ever asked me for it.

How can we find out if I need to bring this or not? I certainly don't want any trouble, but would like to know definitively if it is required or not. Don't tell me "bring it just in case".

I am a widow. I have cruised with my children on 3 different occasions. I read the RCCL website carefully and never saw any suggestion of bringing a death certificate and no one ever asked me for it.

How can we find out if I need to bring this or not? I certainly don't want any trouble, but would like to know definitively if it is required or not. Don't tell me "bring it just in case".

Reading the web site is what I did first. I also emailed RCI with my specific question. They replied promptly, and confirmed the information from the web site. You might do the same.

Former Goalie, You dont know my ex. She would charge me with kidnapping in a heartbeat if I tried going without her permission. Im prepared to go before a judge if she wont let me. so thanks for your words, but to save my arse, ill bring the letter if she would sign.

Archived