Divorced mom bringing 3 kids--need ex's permission?

ntengwall

You know I am sure it's better to be safe than sorry....but I went thru all this for kids that WEREN'T even mine and they never even asked for anything.

:D...Pirate Steve....Can't resist.....Would this have been a "Pirates Dinner Cruise" you're talking about, but for kids?..Where do they sign up and when is your next one?. AAAARRrrrrgggggg...LOL LOL:D Have a good one !!!

:D...Pirate Steve....Can't resist.....Would this have been a "Pirates Dinner Cruise" you're talking about, but for kids?..Where do they sign up and when is your next one?. AAAARRrrrrgggggg...LOL LOL:D Have a good one !!!

lolololol.....my DD has taken along a friend with us on 2 RCCL cruises now.....both times I went thru the entire parents permission form and notarizing thing....and both times when I checked in I was never asked for anything other than their passport....I even offered to show them the form and was told just to hold on to it in case I need it:rolleyes:

I always wondered, if you're on bad terms with your ex (hypothetically speaking), and they don't do this for you. Does that mean you cant go on a cruise your own children ever?

Yes , Think about it.

• It may actually be a condition of the divorce that the kids can not go out of the state and or country without the consent of the other spouse. Therefore this document is legally required under the terms of the divorce for any trip.
  • Even if this isn't a conditon of the divorce, if it was a nasty divorce and/ or the spouses are on the outs, the other spouse could hypothetically report the children as missing. Just to hurt the other spouse and that opens up a whole legal can of worms.
  • Bottom line the purpose of the letter is to legally protect the spouse that's traveling with the kids. The Cruise line requires you to travel with the letter because they want to indemnify itself from having any legal responsibility in the matter in the event a spouse reports the children missing.

Will I need a note from my ex husband in order to take our boys on this cruise? We leave from NJ. Thanks!

I'm just curious. How do they know that you are not just traveling without your husband or that you are not a widow?

I always wondered, if you're on bad terms with your ex (hypothetically speaking), and they don't do this for you. Does that mean you cant go on a cruise your own children ever?

This will be cruise #6 for my almost-14 yr old, and we've been cruising since he was 5. We've only had passports for the last cruise, during a brief period of time when I actually knew where my idiot ex even was, and he signed off on DS's passport.

I have never been asked for any papers, and the cruiselines have actually laughed when I asked if I needed such a thing. If customs cares, which they never have, what are they going to do -- make you stay on the ship? Oh well.

Going by car or air into someplace like Canada or Mexico, they will absolutely demand such paperwork... But who kidnaps their child to take on a close-looped cruise with some islands in between? The authorities get this.

The only time I have ever heard of anyone being questioned or boarding denied has been when the parent and the child have different last names. That's it. So no, I haven't just been lucky, it's just really not an issue.

If you are on good terms with your ex and can get such a letter, then for peace of mind get it. But there are slews of single parents who don't have such a connection, and the cruiselines and the ports welcome our money as well as anyone else's. My ex has no say where I take my own child with my own hard-earned money, and that's just the way it is. :)

I'm just curious. How do they know that you are not just traveling without your husband or that you are not a widow?

You need the letter whether or not you are still married, as long as both parents are not travelling together. If you're a widow, you need the death certificate.

I am also divorced and I have taken my son on every cruise with me. I had always had the letter from my ex "just in case". I was never asked for it. Then, when we took our spring break cruise in 2008 out of Fort Lauderdale, I totally forgot the letter. It was the one and only time I was asked for it! I couldn't believe I had forgotten to get it, I guess because I had never been asked for it before. Anyway, I had to call him (thank goodness I was able to get in touch with him!) He had to write the letter, get it signed and notarized, and fax it to them with a copy of his drivers license. I don't know what would have happened if I couldn't get it. We have only been on one cruise since then, and although I wasn't asked for the letter, you can bet your bottom I had it with me. It is not something I will ever forget again!

You need the letter whether or not you are still married, as long as both parents are not travelling together. If you're a widow, you need the death certificate.

That is the key answer...when mom did not change last name at marriage it becomes even more critical. I believe DW was asked for proof on what to Vancourver...I was on a flight in from a business meeting elswhere first. The different names also caused a few extra minutes getting thru Immigration back into USA at Vancouver airport...top that with someone with my same name was apparently wanted for kidnapping...I had to produce a drivers license as well, and Immigration saw I was not who they wanted. In fact every time I go thru US Immigration there are always extra questions...would be nice if the caught who they wanted and made life easier for me. Takes 3-5 times as long to clear as anyone else in my family... Oh well.

Definitely get and have the letter specific to each trip out of the country just to be safe.

Yes, it can.

There are legal ways to overcome these type of situations. It requires a lawyer and a court.

The whole purpose of this is to prevent child abductions. There are countries that will not let a minor into their country without it..Mexico is one of them.

It's a good thing.

This totally gets me thinking. I have a good friend who is a single mother by choice. She had her daughter through IVF using a sperm donor, so their literally isn't another parent. She is taking her first cruise this summer. Although I know to always have a letter from my ex (see earlier post), I never really thought about what she would need to do since their isn't a daddy involved. Her daughter has a passport, but I wonder if she will also need to take her birth certificate that lists the father as "unknown". May be a good time to call RCCL for clarification!

I have cruised with my grandsons for several years. Our last name is not the same. Before my first cruise the TA told me I needed a notarized letter from their parents, which I obtained, and I take one each time we cruise. No one asked for it so I volunteered it at check in- (RCCL) and they have never asked for it since either. Princess asked if I had the form, when I said yes they said they didn't need it but to keep it handy. HAL made me get the form out and they copied it. Go figure. I can fly anywhere in the world with them, and we have traveled a lot, and no one has ever asked for documentation as to our relationshiip.

You can get the form on the Cruise Diva site, just put 'Permission letter' in the search box.

If you look at the RCCL web site it gives explicit instructions as to what documents you need, Click on 'Before you board' then scroll to Family Legal documents.

This seems absolutely crazy to me. I have known various people who are divorced and the father has zero contact with the kids.... for years. I have one friend who has no idea where her ex-husband is. I can't imagine that she could never take her kids on a cruise because she doesn't have a letter........

This seems absolutely crazy to me. I have known various people who are divorced and the father has zero contact with the kids.... for years. I have one friend who has no idea where her ex-husband is. I can't imagine that she could never take her kids on a cruise because she doesn't have a letter........

Sure she can travel out of country with her children. It's just takes the right paperwork. If she has a divorce decree or separation agreement giving her sole custody she can use it. Failing that I'm sure a lawyer could cook up some legal document that a judge could consider and sign that would give her permission to travel out of country with her children.

This totally gets me thinking. I have a good friend who is a single mother by choice. She had her daughter through IVF using a sperm donor, so their literally isn't another parent. She is taking her first cruise this summer. Although I know to always have a letter from my ex (see earlier post), I never really thought about what she would need to do since their isn't a daddy involved. Her daughter has a passport, but I wonder if she will also need to take her birth certificate that lists the father as "unknown". May be a good time to call RCCL for clarification!

That is what she does.

Also, BTW, no letter is required if the one parent has Sole Legal custody (not just sole physical custody). You must take you certified custody paperwork.

I would definitely in this situation also have the birth certificate showing no father or father unknown.

Biology says there is a father, so hopefully the b/c states father unknown. Who cares what looks she gets for that on the b/c...glad she has the family she wants.

Hope y'all all enjoy your cruises.

This is what RCCL says, since it seems there is more assumption than fact going on:

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

That's it. If you're the parent, and you and your child share the same last name, you only need your passports/birth certificates. There are some lines (Princess was one of them) that did use to require a single parent cough up a signed letter from their ex, but they dropped that requirement years ago.

Archived