Transfer Reservation to TA for Prepaid Gratuities, then back to RCI

I received an email from a TA site which I receive updates from, which notes some deals they have running right now on the cruise we're currently booked on. They're offering prepaid gratuities as part of your booking. We booked with RCI directly, but I am considering transferring the reservation to the TA to get the benefit of prepaid gratuities. If I wanted to transfer back to RCI, would I lose the benefit of prepaid gratuities? Thought someone may have tried this before... I've never used a TA and know that their rules can vary from one to another, but thought someone may know a little something about common TA policies...

Thanks for your help!

I may be wrong, but if you go through a TA, you cannot do anything after that except through the TA. I dont think you can actually transfer back to RCI without cancelling and rebooking, which in turn would defeat the purpose.

We went through a TA and can do nothing to our reservation unless we go through the TA. I can reserve dinners, dink packages stuff liek that, But anything that changes or alters our reservation in any way our TA has to do. It states on the RCI webite in bright red, that I can do nothing unless I go through my TA.

Not sure if that helps at all. Good luck.

And to all others who have answered the question that was posed, thanks. I figured as much that the answer would be you lose the prepaid gratuities benefit, but it never hurts to ask. I prefer to keep my reservation with the cruise line directly. I feel like I have more control over it that way (which in reality, you do). In an era when you can do almost anything via a computer, I feel almost like TAs are outdated. Why go through someone if I can get practically the same benefits myself? JMHO, but I would prefer to leave a reservation with RCI than transfer it to a TA which I may not be able to honor any potential price reduction or may penalize me for making any future changes to the reservation.

Remember, too, that once you transfer a booking to a TA, the agency owns the booking. So you can't just pick up the phone and transfer the reservation back to RCI - the agency has to agree to the transfer.

Point well taken. All the more reason just to stick with RCI! Losing control of your booking isn't really worth the benefit to me!

When I see a first post by someone, I tend to think they maybe new to cruising, but regardless, when anyone asks a question, that question should be answered politely. I feel we owe this to all our members on CC. Rather then using remarks referring to an Op's question, just politely say, that transferring from TA back to the cruislines isn't wise/good because of these reasons.

When I see a first post by someone, I tend to think they maybe new to cruising, but regardless, when anyone asks a question, that question should be answered politely. I feel we owe this to all our members on CC. Rather then using remarks referring to an Op's question, just politely say, that transferring from TA back to the cruislines isn't wise/good because of these reasons.

If only all members had your state of mind, Desert Cruizers, CC would be a virtual Utopia!

It's really too bad people have to be so negative on here... It's such a great resource and there's certainly no reason to try to diminish others...

And I will admit, I am not new to cruising per se, but I have never been the person responsible for booking (with the exception of a short 3-nighter on Monarch last January). I'm 23 - so I always traveled with my family, where my mom booked for us. I personally see nothing wrong with exploring all of our options. Especially in the current economic times, I think everyone is trying to maximize their benefits as much as possible. How many threads have been on here recently concerning Diamond balcony discounts, shareholder discounts, RCCL Visa Reward Points, etc. I find no harm in trying to maximize the return you receive on benefits... And my intention isn't to try to defraud. I only wish others wouldn't jump to that kind of conclusion...

CC is a wonderful web site for the new cruisers and old, and I have been a member for several years now, but have become concerned why a few feel they have to offer cold remarks to others asking a question. If we have cruised only a few times, we are not aware of all the cruising tips, so we ask those who do know. I still am learning even after 4 cruises. Many will tell you to overlook the remarks, but now & then, I need to speak up. Today our world is to full of hatred, lack of respect and fighting. It is so much easier to merely get along, be polite and say Thank You.:) My DH & I fine enjoyment in our cruises from the people we meet, & places seen, not from all the extras. I enjoy searching out and planning our cruises, reading the Ports of Call boards to obtain information on foreigh ports we might like to visit.

CC is a wonderful web site for the new cruisers and old, and I have been a member for several years now, but have become concerned why a few feel they have to offer cold remarks to others asking a question. If we have cruised only a few times, we are not aware of all the cruising tips, so we ask those who do know. I still am learning even after 4 cruises. Many will tell you to overlook the remarks, but now & then, I need to speak up. Today our world is to full of hatred, lack of respect and fighting. It is so much easier to merely get along, be polite and say Thank You.:) My DH & I fine enjoyment in our cruises from the people we meet, & places seen, not from all the extras. I enjoy searching out and planning our cruises, reading the Ports of Call boards to obtain information on foreigh ports we might like to visit.

Very well spoken, Desert Cruizers. Some people just seem to find pleasure in diminishing others. It won't stop me from enjoying myself. I've been bullied enough to know how to just look past rude folks. Try working at Disney for a few years. You get to meet some of the most 'delightful' people from around the world

FYI, if you switch to a TA, you can not switch back to the cruise line without approval from the TA, which they almost never give. So if you switch, you're stuck anyway (unless you cancel, which there may be a fee for)

If only all members had your state of mind, Desert Cruizers, CC would be a virtual Utopia!

It's really too bad people have to be so negative on here... It's such a great resource and there's certainly no reason to try to diminish others...

And I will admit, I am not new to cruising per se, but I have never been the person responsible for booking (with the exception of a short 3-nighter on Monarch last January). I'm 23 - so I always traveled with my family, where my mom booked for us. I personally see nothing wrong with exploring all of our options. Especially in the current economic times, I think everyone is trying to maximize their benefits as much as possible. How many threads have been on here recently concerning Diamond balcony discounts, shareholder discounts, RCCL Visa Reward Points, etc. I find no harm in trying to maximize the return you receive on benefits... And my intention isn't to try to defraud. I only wish others wouldn't jump to that kind of conclusion...

Well, "maximizing your benefits" at the expense of agentagency who offers to pay your gratuities in return for booking with them when you are planning to try to move the booking back to RCI (hence no revenue at all paid to the agency NOR the agent!!) seems to be stacking the deck solely in your favour-YEESH!! :rolleyes:

Archived