Barcelona Merce Festival 2010 Questions

msmoger

Le Merce Festival in Barcelona this year seems to run from 9/22 to 9/26. We will be in Barcelona from 9/23 to 9/26. We already have a hotel booked in the Barri Gotic. From what I've read (and there doesn't seem to be too much schedule detail for this year available as of yet), it sounds like it can be a lot of fun.

However, what can we expect in terms of how the festival will effect our visit? Will the crowds be very large everywhere we go or primarily the parade and event venues?

Are the normal tourist destinations going to be more crowded or will most of the people there for the festival just be partaking in the festival activities?

I think I read that Friday the 24th may be an official holiday. Does that mean the museums and other attractions will be closed?

Any information or suggestions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You are right about the approximate dates. I am actually planning a return land visit to Barcelona at that time.

The specific schedule of events does not come out until very close to the time of the festival.

I have been told by friends who went last year that the crowds were mostly near the even sites. THEY stayed in the Eixample neighborhood( where I usually stay) and so were not bothered by noise or crowds at the tourist sites they visited.

I am not sure what is opened or closed on the holiday24th. I'd ask in the Barcelona forum over on Trip Advisor where people who live in Barcelona can answer your questions.

You are right about the approximate dates. I am actually planning a return land visit to Barcelona at that time.

The specific schedule of events does not come out until very close to the time of the festival.

I have been told by friends who went last year that the crowds were mostly near the even sites. THEY stayed in the Eixample neighborhood( where I usually stay) and so were not bothered by noise or crowds at the tourist sites they visited.

I am not sure what is opened or closed on the holiday24th. I'd ask in the Barcelona forum over on Trip Advisor where people who live in Barcelona can answer your questions.

Thanks for the great info.

Archived