QM2 to Norway in June - your experiences please

Runaways

Hello All. We're very sad we've had to cancel our WC sector Sydney to Southampton because of elderly parent health problems - too long away. However, we're VERY happy to be booked on a shorter cruise from Southampton to North Cape/Honningsvaag/the Arctic Circle on QM2 departing 14 June - our first Cunard voyage. Has anyone done this trip before, on Cunard or other lines? It's such a different itinerary and region to anything we've experienced before, and would love to hear your impressions, i.e. sea conditions and weather in general in June, shore excursions, whatever you want to share! Cheers.

We have cruised to Norway four times (Cunard, P&O and Fred Olsen) and have been to all the ports on your cruise. Norway is hardly exotic like a world cruise but is certainly beautiful. The ports are not the only attraction. You will be cruising inland through scenic fjords for a good proportion of your cruise. At that time the fjords should be spectacular with snow on the mountains and waterfalls in full flow. Norway is an expensive country, so do not expect cheap shopping, food or alcohol in the ports. We think a cruise is the perfect way to visit Norway as the fjords are the main attraction. If you did not take a cruise you would have to book boat trips.

The weather will probably be cold (particularly as you get further north) and sometimes wet (usually Bergen). I would take a good coat, hat, scarf and gloves. Saying that we have worn shorts and t-shirts on a Norwegian Fjord cruise. Most of the cruise (apart from crossing the North Sea on the first and last days) will be inland or coastal so should be very calm. In the fjords the only ripples will be from the wake of the ship.

Stavanger is a small town built around the port. We have always docked in the town centre (literally) in the historic area with streets of pretty wooden houses. We have wandered around, taken a walking tour and visited the Petroleum museum.

Geiranger is a village with a few hotels restaurant and shops. We have always tendered. We tend to walk up the hill to the church and Fjord Centre (an excellent museum). The cruise in and out (World Heritage site) of Geiranger is a main attraction of any cruise.

Honnivag is a small town. This far north it tends to be rather barren and cold. Very different to the scenery and weather further south. Most people take the transfer to the North Cape which has a large visitor centre. In the town there is a small but informative museum, ice bar and Sami (the local people) goods shops.

Tromso is a big commercial city. I did not enjoy this port. Most people seem to visit the Polar Museum and Artic Cathedral. I think a shuttle bus is provided to the city centre.

Olden is village. I think we docked rather than tendered. We took the trip to Mount Dalsnibba. Everybody says the views are fantastic. Unfortunately it was foggy the day we went.

Bergen is an old city. We have always docked within walking distance of the city centre. We always wonder around the Hanseatic District (World Heritage site) and famous fish market (caviar is a good buy). We often take the funicular railway to the top of Mount Floyen where there is a cafe, shop and superb view of the city. Once I did the sea plane excursion which was fun.

We love cruising in Norway and will probably go again in 2011.

Hope this helps, Stephen.

Hopefully, you're not going to Stavanger.

We went there on the QV in December. Lovely little place, but it was shut. Nothing whatsoever to do. It was a Sunday and nothing opens before 2 pm. We were leaving at 3 pm. What a waste of time.

Incidently, the only people that bothered to see us off, were the half a dozen dockers that cast us off. Strange.

Stewart

Sunday closing is still observed to some degree in Norway. Do you remember that? Luckily you are at sea on Sunday. Some towns will open tourist places if they know a ship is due. Museums are generally open seven days with the same hours or perhaps longer on Sundays.

On the whole they do not get too excited about Cruise ship departures. After all they get rather a large number and they are not on the holiday. It is just not that special for them. Maiden calls and famous ships like QE2 might attract more attention.

One thing to watch out for is the Hurtigruten ships that make up the coastal steamer service. A real mixture of different ships that serve the ports of Norway daily. They are suffering badly in the current conditions and are less important as more places are connected by road. The service might not survive in its current form which would be a shame.

Best wishes, Stephen.

We are booked on QM2's trip to Norway in August this year and looking forward to it very much.

We did a land-based tour by train and bus (up as far as Trondheim) in July 2005 and it was wonderful - great weather and spectacular scenery. If you are interested, here is the link to some photos from our trip http://picasaweb.google.com/boeckli/NorwayJuly2005#

Thank you very much for your thoughts and experiences. Stephen, you're an old hand at Norwegian cruising - glad to hear you've enjoyed it as much as we hope to. Photos and review - great thank you. It's particularly helpful to know we need to take some warm clothes even though it's the summer season. The weather is unpredictable everywhere these days though, so we'll pack for all contingencies. We appreciate the input! Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Which side of the ship will be best for the QM2 in June? Port or starboard?

I know from the itinerary that it looks like either would be fine, but with sea days and MAYBE some sun, which side is preferable.

On our last cruise we thought we had the correct side but ended up in the shade!!

Thanks!

We did the Trans Atlantic and Norway cruise on QM2, last August, it was so wonderful, we booked this one to do this June. June 16 is when we'll be in Stavanger, its a Wednesday so no problems with them being closed. A lovely quaint town, and we do know people who live thre so they gave us a nice tour, not thru the ship. This time we will walk around the town. The weather will be chilly than when we were there in August, but its not too bad.

As for what side to go on, we were on Starboard, so something diferent going and then returning.

our review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=57765

Hi there

Thanks for all the information - it's been a great help! This is my partner and my first cruise - so really excited about it! Looking forward to it very much!

Cheers

Donnie

BEWARE!!! Queen Mary 2 will get you hooked for sure!!!!:D:D:) If you have any other questions that I might be able to help you with feel free to email me @

fllady at yahoo dot com ;) Just reread your post and see we will be able to get together for a meet and greet, if you would like when you board in Southampton.

• 1 month later...

Hi Runaways

Have been on QM2 east and westbound Transatlantic - you will love her! We are thinking of going independently in Honningsvag and hiring a car to visit the North Cape. If you are interested please advise. kind regards squerry

Hi Runaways

Have been on QM2 east and westbound Transatlantic - you will love her! We are thinking of going independently in Honningsvag and hiring a car to visit the North Cape. If you are interested please advise. kind regards squerry

I'm not sure of the merits of that. There is nothing to see on the way of note, and when you get there you won't need much time. It isn't even the most northerly point of the mainland anyway.

This is one case when I'd say there was no benefit to a DIY tour.

Honningsvag itself is a tiny place, with a small museum. The highlight of the normal day is the arrival of the Hurtigruten. The southbound ship calls quickly at 06:15, but the northbound spends some time here - 11:15 - 15:15. Worth seeing as it really is part and parcel of North Norway life.

You may well see the Hurtigruten ships elsewhere - they normally arrive in Geiranger at about lunchtime but don't actually berth.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it worth taking the ship's tour to the north Cape if we are cruising the North Cape after we leave? The description makes it sound crowded and not much to do except post a card. The tour book says we may see the 'entire disc of the Midnight Sun'...will we see that from the ship??

Thanks for all the comments and help.

Is it worth taking the ship's tour to the north Cape if we are cruising the North Cape after we leave? The description makes it sound crowded and not much to do except post a card. The tour book says we may see the 'entire disc of the Midnight Sun'...will we see that from the ship??

Thanks for all the comments and help.

I was quite unimpressed with the North Cape as it is really just a long cliff about 40 yards high which ends in a vertical drop to the sea. When we were there it was very calm so it wasn't really seen in all of its' splendour. The tour to the Cape was £50 each and was 1 hour each way by bus and an hour at the Cape including looking around the visitor centre. There were a few hundred visitors there. At night we went fairly close to the Cape and had a great view as it stayed light even though the sun had just gone under the horizon. It is probably better to view it from the sea rather than the land imho.

Hi,

Which side of the ship will be best for the QM2 in June? Port or starboard?

I know from the itinerary that it looks like either would be fine, but with sea days and MAYBE some sun, which side is preferable.

On our last cruise we thought we had the correct side but ended up in the shade!!

Thanks!

If the ship is heading East, from US to UK any sun will come from the South, ie the right side of the ship. So starboard is the side you need. If you are heading West, you need the port side.

Thanks! If you know of any tours that are wonderful, please let me know. You have been very helpful.

In Bergen there is a little train that you can walk to that will take you to a funicular railway that you can take, these form part of an expensive trip that you can easily do on your own. There is a little wooden?? train in Eidjsfjord (sp) that again you can do independently. What other cities are you going to?

Stavanger, Geiranger, Honningsvag, Tromso, Olden/Nordfjiord and Bergen.

I have been to Bergen.

Olden is beautiful, like a chocolate box picture. I have no trip info about any of your ports but I have heard that Gerainger is really beautiful and popular, there are some good walks and there is a trip from there to somewhere that I can't remember but it starts with H. Other than that I think the best person to help may be Penny Attwell who did this last year. I will email her and ask.

Other than that I think the best person to help may be Penny Attwell who did this last year. I will email her and ask.

Hi Jim...got your mail and will see if I can offer any assistance to Gillian2 about the ports I have been to.

We did the fjords last August and will return again this August doing the trip to the North Cape. As a Norwegian American, this is returning to my roots and is very special for me. So I might be a tad biased!;) It's a gorgeous country.

I must disagree with something said previously about Stavanger. Personally I find it a charming little city with a long history of fishing. As a child I loved our port stops in Stavanger as the adorable old town was right by the port and an easy walk from the ship. You'll have plenty of time to wander the twisting, cobblestone, lanes lined with pristine little white painted wooden homes, many a couple hundred years old. Norwegians love their flowers and you will see them in abundance here ( assuming the weather has warned enough in June) We spent a good hour or more just abssorbing the essense here, then strolled to the other side of the harbor and up to the old fire tower where you get good views of the surroundings.

In the afternoon we took the ship's tour to Lysefjord. If this is offered I highly recommend it. It's one of those enticing fjords that envelop you and make you never want to leave the tranquil surroundings. The mountains change character as you get further in....little cottages and farms dot the shoreline, some accessible only by boat. We stopped at a restaurant that is only accessible by boat for waffles and sour cream and strawberry jam...a real Norwegian treat I remember from my Grandmother. We met the 3 Billy Goats Gruff on a rocky ledge as they came down to greet the boat. We sailed under the awesome Pulpit Rock....do have a good telephoto to see it up close and even see people standing on the edge....made me cringe! It's a long way down. This trip was a special highlight for me as it showed how beautiful, and how rugged, fjord life can be. It's a hardy soul lives there in winter.

Backing out of Stavanger harbor is a treat...you must see the docking there to believe it with a ship the size of QM2.

Geirangerfjord is a World Heritage site and rightly so. It is scenic majesty taken to the highest degree. Be sure to get up VERY early that day and don't miss a minute of sailing thru the twisting and turning fjord. Waterfalls careen down the granite rock walls, thundering into the water below. At times the rock faces seem close enough to touch. In June they will no doubt be spectacular with the snow melt. Even in August we had snow at the summits in the snowfields. Don't miss seeing the Seven Sisters waterfall.....it should be incredible at that time of year. My best advice is to wander around the open decks seeing the passing scenery from all vantage points. Deck 11 Observation area gets really crowded and spoils the grandeur for me anyway so I seek out less populated places to enjoy it all.

At the end of the fjord is Geiranger...you will have choices of things to do but I wouldn't go to Geiranger without going up Mt Dalsnibba. We had dreadful weather that day...on and off rain, fog,mist, yet the drive up the serpentine road to the summit is breathtaking and must be experienced in any weather. At the summit we were totally immersed in fog til one moment when it magically cleared a window looking to the fjord and town below. It's a sight you will never forget. You won't forget the slightly hair raising trip down either!

Everyone wants to go to Norway in the bright sunshine with blue skies. Tourist photo stuff but I have to tell you that the other Norway, the mystical, fog shrouded temptress seems more mesmerizing to me. There is a spellbinding aura that entices you to seek out the mystery, to embrace the tranquility and surrender to enchantment. Here it is possible to feel the rich mythology of pagan Norway, the Valhalla of Norse mythology and maybe even hear mighty Thor's hammer in the thunder if you are lucky enough. You might even see a troll! Oh, right, I"m on the August trip!;)

As you've been to Bergen I won't say much about it altho it's one of my favorite places. I can cheerfully spend all day around the harborfront, wander around Bryggen and peruse the fishmarket for goodies. One thing many people don't know, and we discovered last year, is that around 2:30 as they are cleaning up for the day, the fish merchants give away the food from those delicious plates they sell....my husband was in 7th heaven when he was told why everyone was rushing there. He happily joined in and came away with a plate filled with crab, shrimp, salmon done several ways, whale meat and other delights. He will be there again this year...it's all he's talked about!

Can't help with the other ports altho I can tell you that there is a statue I must see above all else in Honningsvag. It's on the harborfront and is of a most extraordinary dog of WW2 fame. Google for Sea Dog Bamse...read a few of the links to get a sense of what this brave, wonderful dog did for the soldiers and sailors of Norway during the war. Finally a statue of him was placed in his hometown from where he went off to war to England with his owner, never to return home. There is a statue of him in Scotland and this one is a copy of that. The story will amaze you. I will forgo anything in order to see this statue and honor this brave dog. I'm a dog person!!

DO enjoy your voyage...ask if I can help with anything else. Our trip goes to the rugged Lofoten Islands which is my main reason for choosing this one over any others. My Norwegian relatives tell me that the best scenery in Norway is in the Lofotens...I shall see for myself. It's pretty hard to beat Geirangerfjord I'd think.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

...I think the best person to help may be Penny Attwell who did this last year. I will email her and ask.

Jim, there are two excellent, and descriptive, posts from Penny about this voyage in the Ports of Call section. I have already copied them, and others, onto my Kindle for the trip.

fllady (Jeanne) also has posted an excellent review of last years voyage. She is going again this year, and is available for questions on our Roll Call.;)

Cheers,

Bob :cool:

capnpugwash and patwell:

What a wealth of information. Thank you so much.

The Lysefjord trip is offered. I was just unsure as to what we could see from the ship and whether this excursion was therefore worthwhile in terms of seeing something different. However, I see that you recommend it quite highly. Hopefully Cunard will have a seating area for those who are unable to climb stairs. I read that there are two flights of stairs between the decks on the boats. However, it is listed as 'Low Activity Level'. Would you do this at 9am or 1pm? It is $95 which seems quite a steep price!

Mount Dalsnibba is also offered both in the morning and the afternoon.

capnpugwash and patwell:

What a wealth of information. Thank you so much.

The Lysefjord trip is offered. I was just unsure as to what we could see from the ship and whether this excursion was therefore worthwhile in terms of seeing something different. However, I see that you recommend it quite highly. Hopefully Cunard will have a seating area for those who are unable to climb stairs. I read that there are two flights of stairs between the decks on the boats. However, it is listed as 'Low Activity Level'. Would you do this at 9am or 1pm? It is $95 which seems quite a steep price!

Mount Dalsnibba is also offered both in the morning and the afternoon.

On the Lysefjord trip the ferry will dock ( if they do as last year) right by the ship...easy to get to. Don't worry about seating. The downstairs is VERY comfortable with lovely seats seating 3 on either side of a nice table. There is a concession for beer and coffee etc. It's a lot more comfy down than up as up is casual seating in a big open area. Nice if the weather is good but you can easily pop out front and back downstairs to a lovely place to take photos. The ferry has all windows below...very open feel to see everything.If you have the same boat as we did there is only one flight of stairs that I remember.

What I love about the fjords is that all are different in some way. Lysefjord is what i'd call romantic...dreamy and pretty but surrounded by an assortment of varied looking mountains. I loved it. It had a remote and bucolic feel to it. The deeper you went into it the more rugged it became. The little restaurant was literally backed up by a multi story solid wall of granite....it sat at the base of it on a small patch of ground...no road to it. Lots of picnic table to eat at or eat indoors if you want. Getting off the boat there wasn't difficult....I seem to remember a ramp, not steep. Sorry I can't post pictures...it's not been working for me for some reason.

I don't remember what we paid but it was probably close to that. We all thought it well worth the fare.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Archived