"Reserving" Chairs by the pool

rjg41

Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.

• Very satisfied
    • Somewhat satisfied
    • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
    • Somewhat dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied

There have been many posts on this subject over the years. I once did have a suggestion which I think might help. Why don't the cruiselines give each cabin "chair tags" one for each person staying in that cabin, with the cabin number on it. This way you could place the tag on your chair and only have the amount of chairs for the amount of people in your cabin. This would prevent chair hogs and at least there would be no more "towel" issues at the pools. If people elect to go out at 6am and tag their chair, then good for them, they get first pick, but is most cases with tags they would only be able to reserve on average two chairs rather then the 6 or 8 that the hogs like!
Barbara

[quote name='barbon2']There have been many posts on this subject over the years. I once did have a suggestion which I think might help. Why don't the cruiselines give each cabin "chair tags" one for each person staying in that cabin, with the cabin number on it. This way you could place the tag on your chair and only have the amount of chairs for the amount of people in your cabin. This would prevent chair hogs and at least there would be no more "towel" issues at the pools. If people elect to go out at 6am and tag their chair, then good for them, they get first pick, but is most cases with tags they would only be able to reserve on average two chairs rather then the 6 or 8 that the hogs like!
Barbara[/QUOTE]
It's a nice thought, and it does have some merit. The problem is, first of all, there simply are not enough chairs for all of the people who want to use them, particularly on a sunny sea day. Inevitably there will be people who don't get a chair, tags or no tags. Second of all, while this method would keep pax from hogging more chairs than they actually have people to sit in them, it would do nothing to eliminate the real problem, which is saving a chair that you don't use for lengthy periods of time. So, instead of 25 chairs with towels and magazines on them sitting empty in the sun until 2pm, there would be 15 with tags. And there those chairs would continue to sit, for hours, marked only by those little tags.

But I like the creative thinking! I'm still convinced that there should be signs on every ship indicating the "saving" time limit (preferably 20 minutes). This alone gives anyone who moves someone's towel off a chair the amunition they need to respond to any inconsiderate dolts who come screaming at them hours later for "stealing" their chair. They simply need to point to the sign, yell "Security!" to any passing attendant, then happily return to their novel while the idiots stand there looking idiotic. :D

And I also still like the idea put forth by someone else, maybe in an entirely different chair-hog thread (I love these threads!) to bring one of those "Will Return By" clock thingies, and put it on your chair if you only intend to be gone for a little while. And naturally, if you see one with it's hands set to sometime well beyond the posted 20-minute limit, you are free to move it and siddown!

LeeAnne

I still think people would be more reluctant to leave a tag with a cabin number on a chair rather then a towel. Even with the 20 minute rule it would be hard to keep track of all of the chairs and which towels were placed when. Also keep in mind, even with the "tag" idea, some people do prefer a shaded area such as my hubby and I. Those areas are just as hard to get chairs in as the areas with sun. I still think even on sea days, the main problem is not only saving chairs but the amount of chairs that people save. Also keep in mind that not everyone elects to go to the pool. Many people opt to do movies, art auctions, etc on sea days. The average cabin on a non school holiday has 2 guests per cabin and I really believe that there are enough seats in the different "nooks and crannies" on the ship that everyone would have a place to sit. Again, if I were sitting in a "tagged" chair and was leaving for a long period of time, I would not leave my tag on the chair. People tend to be possessive and would be more apt to take it with them. Just my opinon!!
Barbara

The survey shows that 75% of the cruisers are dissatisfied with the way cruise lines are handling chair hogs. We should all take a pro active position on our next cruise, seek out pool attendants and the officers in charge of this area of the ship and demand that something be done.

Chair hogs are nothing more than bullies and unless confronted will continue this behavior which puts a dark cloud on an otherwise wonderful vacation.

[quote name='ugoandbella']The survey shows that 75% of the cruisers are dissatisfied with the way cruise lines are handling chair hogs. We should all take a pro active position on our next cruise, seek out pool attendants and the officers in charge of this area of the ship and demand that something be done.

Chair hogs are nothing more than bullies and unless confronted will continue this behavior which puts a dark cloud on an otherwise wonderful vacation.[/QUOTE]

My 2 cents:

I agree with this approach.

Step one, find an attendant. If he/she chooses to do nothing, then go to the Pursers Office and file a written complaint. To be effective, the complaint must include the name of the non-responsive attendant.

In your written complaint, you might want to refer to this poll result as well; as of now, 75% of 164 Cruise Critic Members feel that Celebrity is not effective in enforcing the deck chair policies.

Celebrity Pursers usually respond promptly to written complaints submitted by on board customers.

If nothing happens as a result of your complaint to the Purser, and you feel compelled to escalate the issue, contact the Cruise Director, again in writing.

If anyone has already done this, please post a reply summarizing your subsequent experiences.

[quote name='Host Walt']My 2 cents:

I agree with this approach.

Step one, find an attendant. If he/she chooses to do nothing, then go to the Pursers Office and file a written complaint. To be effective, the complaint must include the name of the non-responsive attendant.

In your written complaint, you might want to refer to this poll result as well; as of now, 75% of 164 Cruise Critic Members feel that Celebrity is not effective in enforcing the deck chair policies.

Celebrity Pursers usually respond promptly to written complaints submitted by on board customers.

If nothing happens as a result of your complaint to the Purser, and you feel compelled to escalate the issue, contact the Cruise Director, again in writing.

If anyone has already done this, please post a reply summarizing your subsequent experiences.[/QUOTE]
why waste your time,it's more fun watching people fight over them

Fabulous suggestion, Walt!

I truly believe that Celebrity, and any cruise line for that matter, takes a big step towards solving the problem simply by having posted signs with a time limit. The single time I personally encountered a chair-hog maniac (someone who goes berserk on you when they come back to their chair hours later and find you in it) I was actually on an RCI ship, where those signs were posted. It allowed me to simply point to the sign, and tell them to go find an attendant if they had a problem. The two women marched over to an attendant and had a heated discussion with him, which luckily I didn't have to hear, as they were far enough away. Also luckily, whatever he said resulted in them stalking out of the pool area, leaving us in peace.

But I have seen chair-hog skirmishes on Celebrity that had a far less satisfying conclusion, because there was nothing there to unequivicably prove that the chair-hogs were in the wrong.

Of course, even with the signs, Walt is right that the pool attendants have to be willing to enforce the policy. But it is always much easier to enforce a policy if there is visible proof that one exists.

LeeAnne

[quote name='thmsmcdnld']why waste your time,it's more fun watching people fight over them[/QUOTE]
Well, yeah...unless YOU'RE the one sitting there with a couple of idiots screaming bloody murder at you while you're trying to enjoy your novel!

LeeAnne

[quote name='Leejnd4']Well, yeah...unless YOU'RE the one sitting there with a couple of idiots screaming bloody murder at you while you're trying to enjoy your novel!

LeeAnne[/QUOTE]
Why read a novel when the fights are better than any entertainment that Celebrity puts on.I've seen the best in over 18 Celebrity cruises dating back to 1993.

I think the solution to ALL of this antisocial behavior on cruise lines (table hogs, chair hogs, improper dress in the dining room, smokers in non-smoking areas, substandard tablemates, etc) is a paint pellet gun. Just SPLAT the offending party with a glob of paint midchest in a nice dayglo color and it serves a two-fold purpose 1) makes you feel SO much better because you've done something to vent your frustration at this person or persons who is impinging on the enjoyment of your vacation and 2) clearly marks the boors so that the rest of us can avoid them or at the very least ostracize them.

Now.. as a previous poster mentioned.. it DOES help when taking this approach, to be 6ft4 and 275.. but hey.. attend some of the exercise classes and do some stretching exercises to add to your height.. and as for hitting the 275 mark.. what better place to make headway on THAT one than on a cruise ship..

btw they work well on obnoxious 15 yr olds as well.. who wants all those darn kids on their cruise anyway...

In my last 5 Celebrity Cruises I have never been able to get a chair by the pool. They are always taken, each and every chair. So, we sit one deck above where they are more readily available.

The pool chairs are always reserved with a bag, sweatshirt or towel and its not worth the hassle of taking it over. I am on vacation and the last thing I am looking for is a stress enhancing experience.

idssms

[quote name='idssms']In my last 5 Celebrity Cruises I have never been able to get a chair by the pool. They are always taken, each and every chair. So, we sit one deck above where they are more readily available.

The pool chairs are always reserved with a bag, sweatshirt or towel and its not worth the hassle of taking it over. I am on vacation and the last thing I am looking for is a stress enhancing experience.

idssms[/QUOTE]
you hit it on the head.It's not worth it to worry about cruise chairs around the pool. deck 11 has more than you need

Well, yeah, as long as you're on a ship where the upper deck isn't windy as all get-out on a sea day!

Just FTR, I've never felt one iota of stress over chair hogs. If there are no available chairs, I have no problem asking someone next to a "saved" chair how long it's been since anyone was there...and if it's been an hour or more, I simply remove the towel or give their belongings to the pool attendant. And, as mentioned earlier, it didn't bother me in the slightest to point those screaming women in the direction of the closest pool attendant, and then simply cancel them out of my world.

Now, if someone came after me with a weapon, I might have to rethink my strategy... :D

I do enjoy studying human behavior, and that's why I find these threads so compelling. I just can't keep away!

LeeAnne

Well that settles that.................
I have just UPS'd my towels for my December cruise on the Constellation to Celebrity. Don't tell anyone, even though we are only two, I have sent 8 towels, two to be placed in the sun by the pool with two or either side of these (heaven forbid a "stranger" sits next to us), and two for the shade, again with the two additional ones to prevent strangers from envading our space. Now just think, if everyone would follow suit................
Barbara

Our next cruise is in May on the Millie and I am going to make a conscious effort to get a great pool chair at least one out of the 14 days!!

I want to have the experience of sitting near the pool in a plush chair with a cushion. I want to beable to use the pool without walking down those narrow stairs. I want my wife to use the pool and she wont if she has to parade around in her bathing suit.

I never gave it a second thought that my wife and I always sit up stairs in the [B]non-prime [/B] seats. Now that I am retired and have little stress I can afford to exerise my rights a bit. Thanks for enlightening me on this thread!!!

[B]Prime time [/B] Don

Barbara,

Sorry to say you won't be the first to do that - I sent my towels (X ones I bought in the gift shop for 75% off) to the Millie via Fed-x last week with instructions to put them on my chairs when they are rec'd. Heck, I'll be there in March - no one will need the chairs until then! :rolleyes:

This whole chair hog thing gives me anxiety as I love to sit by the pool and WILL do so on my cruise regardless! But, I don't want to have to have an argument or be "screwed" out of that luxury. Therefore, I will probably get up early and setup my camp. I will NOT leave though for longer than a bathroom trip or else I will know that I am giving up my time with that chair and respect that choice.

I think if everyone around the pool supports each other from the rudeness of others it would help. If you see someone approaching a chair that looks like it wasn't used in an hour even, encourage them to take it and support them if something negative occurs. It is all about community isn't it? Maybe I am naive. Thanks. ajc

jcarcaramo, don't let it stress you out. Really, if you play by the rules, you'll be fine. I've never seen a sea day when I couldn't just wait around for a while and recognize that at least a couple chairs were saved by hogs, and then just do my thing. If anyone bothers you, just ignore them, knowing that you are in the right. They're the ones who are going to spoil their own vacations by blowing a gasket, while you calmly pretend they are nothing more than annoying insects.

And I do believe that most people around you would support you if faces with rude wackos. When I had my screaming-meemee encounter, I had a good laugh afterwards with the nice people sitting around me. :)

LeeAnne

I live in Fl and I deal with a similiar situation in parking lots....

Sometimes I sit in the car while my wife goes into Publix or Winn Dixie food shopping. The parking spaces are normal size but as luck would have it once a week some senior opens the door next to my car on either side and just unintentionally puts a nick or crease into my door. It is normally someone in their late 70s or 80s and I just shake my head but I dont say a word.

Sometimes its not worth getting angry over these things. I learned years ago at work that you have to know what battles to pick, you cant fight about everything.

So, this chair thing is a lost cause with us because people fail to follow simple courtesy rules. I guess I am destined to sit on the upper decks but I take my camera with me and mitigate the circumstances by taking lots of scenic pictures.

Don from sunny but windy today,,, Fl

[quote name='Leejnd4']jcarcaramo, don't let it stress you out. Really, if you play by the rules, you'll be fine. I've never seen a sea day when I couldn't just wait around for a while and recognize that at least a couple chairs were saved by hogs, and then just do my thing. If anyone bothers you, just ignore them, knowing that you are in the right. They're the ones who are going to spoil their own vacations by blowing a gasket, while you calmly pretend they are nothing more than annoying insects.

And I do believe that most people around you would support you if faces with rude wackos. When I had my screaming-meemee encounter, I had a good laugh afterwards with the nice people sitting around me. :)

LeeAnne[/QUOTE]
Thank you for such a nice reply. I agree and I am so relieved that sane people exist. I am surrounded by selfish people lately and am trying to escape this on my cruise. Okay. Discussion over, all is well. You are great. Thanks again.

On our first cruise on the Summit: we NEVER had chairs even close by the pool...not even once. Apparently we didn't understand the "rules" of cruiseing. We are simple, "easy resort" vacation people. Book a resort? Get a chair by the pool? There is a differenent philosophy on cruise ships...we have no idea what it is ? All we can tell your is...."suite status"...doesn't help..good luck!!

On our Summit cruise last year we always were able to find chairs without even having to move a hog's towel. "Sometimes we had to hunt around a bit and move a chair - or ask a pool butler to help. There were pool butlers there who were very helpful in both moving chairs and finding them. One thing I've learned on cruises is that all the staff will really be helpful if you just ask.

Had to put my two cents worth in. We've had the least trouble getting chairs together on Celebrity, but we like to up a deck above the pool too get the breezes. Recently took a family reunion cruise on Carnival and they have changed how they give out pool towels. You have to use your sail and sign card for each towel, and return it to get your receipt back, otherwise you are charged $24. Not too many unused towels laying around.

Archived