"Reserving" Chairs by the pool

rjg41

Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.

• Very satisfied
    • Somewhat satisfied
    • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
    • Somewhat dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied

[quote name='CajunLiner']Just wondering how you guys feel about the wooden "deck" area around the pool. On our Galaxy cruise,this is where I was most comfortable sitting when my kids were playing in the pool. It was comfortable, I wasn't "hogging" a chair (MOstly since they were already hogged), and I could referee the kids without everyone at the pool hearing me. I'm not sure if this area is for that purpose, though, and I don't want to be a rule breaker!
Donna[/QUOTE]To the contrary. You're doing both your kids and your fellow passengers a favor by supervising things. YOU, we thank.

I think the answer to the chair problem is quite simple. Get up earlier than everyone else , reserve 30-40 chairs for no one special. Remove the towels and belongings that others have placed on chairs and move them back 2 rows. Go to breakfast , come back and sit in the back row and watch the fireworks. There are only 2-300 chairs around the pool for 2000 cruisers someone has to do something. Also why is it that the chairs around the pool are the ones that have to be reserved and not the ones on the upper deck, could it be some sort of status these people feel they deserve by being pushy.

I see it this way, if you see a chair that hasn't been and doesn't look occupied and you want to sit there, move the stuff. If someone comes up to me I won't lie. Yes in fact I did take this chair, it was not being used. If more people were proactive there wouldn't be a problem. I'm amazed at how many people will continue to walk around looking for a chair when all they'd have to do is move a book or a towel. I'd love for someone to say something to me about taking their chair when they hadn't actually occupied it. It'd be a big "whatever", and a roll of the eyes.

Personally, I don't want to touch other people's stuff. Sounds like a sure way to get in a tranquility busting row! I don't want be accused of stealing something. Had something stolen from me that was left on a chair for no more than 10 minutes. And yes, it was stolen because the person was using it!! First time that has EVER happened on a cruise and it felt awfull not to able to trust.

Unfortunately what was stolen from me was something I needed for pain: an ice pack that could be refilled! And he had it refilled at the pool bar. I suffered for a week until I could finally replace it in Limon' with the help of Oscar Brown!

[quote name='DMS']we usually travel in a large group and we are early risers and I am sorry to say like to sit by the pool and FRY - we go to breakfast in shifts, some eat by the pool and we use our chairs for the vast part of the day on sea days - in and out of the pool and hot tubs etc. This is a big part of our cruise vacation and if someone took my chair because I am in the pool - the New Yorker in me will come out . Each person has their own idea of a vacation and I like pools and beaches - am I wrong?????[/QUOTE]
You are only wrong if you save pool chairs for people who don't use them for longer than a reasonable time (which RCI has designated as 20 minutes, a time frame I agree with). If you are at the pool, and using the chairs, of course you are not wrong. If you are saving chairs while some in your party run out for a few minutes to get something to eat, that's fine -- remembering, of course, that being away longer than 20 minutes is rude to the other passengers, who could be using that unoccupied chair.

It's a pretty simple rule, if you think about it. If you are at the pool, the chair is yours. If you leave the pool area for more than 20 minutes, do the right thing and let someone else use it. I don't see why people have such difficulty with this concept.

LeeAnne

I was on the Summit during the holidays and I can tell you that the Pool Attendants were removing towels and belongings from chairs constantly. It was great to see. Early one morning, one of our last sea days, I got up very early and went to the Windjammer for some coffee, walking through the AquaSpa. It was empty however, every window seat was taken and reserved with towels. At the same time a pool attendant was removing all the towels from the chairs and then on my way back I noticed that he was just standing by the towel stand watching. I thought it was great. Perhaps the cruise lines are listening to us.

Similar threads about chair hogs are on cruise critic frequently. As soon as this one ends another will surely start. We have been on nine cruises and learned that one can't change human behavior. There are fellow cruisers that will steal anything that is not nailed down; reserve multiple pool chairs for the entire day, if they use them or not; reserve a table at the buffet even though someone else had time to eat their meal before they come back to the table; load their plate with two pounds of bacon and sausage and not eat half of it; order multiple entrees and deserts every night, just because they can; etc.

I'm sure I sould very slanted but human nature is what it is. I suspect half the critics on this thread that condem the reserving of chairs or whatever have been guilty of what it is they despise. My wife and I are addicted people watchers and always have a smile for predictability.

At home, for my health, I swim 30-40 minutes each day, and try to do the same on cruises. As there is no place other than a lounge chair on which to put my robe, shoes, etc., while I am in the pool, if you want my chair, please leave these things nearby so I can find them again. Thank you. Nancy

I've been reading this thread awhile and just want to say chair hogs are not only at the pool.

In December we did a Panama Canal cruise on the Galaxy. The Galaxy, on Deck 10 at the aft, there is a row of lounge chairs (approx 18 loungers) where you can sit, relax and watch the wake. It is right below the outdoor eating area. The morning we were to go through the canal, we got up early (5:30 AM) to view the locks. We were sitting at the rail up on Deck 11 (outdoor eating deck) when a woman and her husband appeared around 6 AM with towels, books, t-shirts, etc. and started "saving" the lounge chairs on Deck 10. She kept looking at her watch and kept jumping up trying to make sure no one would sit on one of the chairs. The people she was saving the chairs for did not show up until about 1.5 hours later and then, when they did show up, nobody even sat in the chairs...they all stood at the rail. It was SO RUDE. I really wanted to go down to Deck 10 and just sit in one of the chairs she was trying so hard to "save" but my viewpoint on Deck 11 was better than the one she had (LOL).

I'll try to attach a photo of the deck I'm talking about.

I like these threads...as well as the dress code threads and the booze threads. There are always some newbies out there who haven't heard it all yet! :D

[quote name='late seating'] I'm sure I sould very slanted but human nature is what it is. I suspect half the critics on this thread that condem the reserving of chairs or whatever have been guilty of what it is they despise. My wife and I are addicted people watchers and always have a smile for predictability.[/QUOTE]
I try not to be so cynical about people. Perhaps I'm naive, but I believe that in many cases, bad behavior stems from lack of knowledge or forethought. Lots of people just don't think things through, or consider the consequences of what they do. I also believe that many people, once they learn the negative impact of their actions, would be willing to change them. I'd like to think that there are a lot of cruisers who would reconsider saving that pool chair if they read on this board just how rude and inconsiderate it is to their fellow passengers.

Nancy -- this would be a perfect situation in which putting a little note on your chair would be helpful. IKWYM -- when I'm training for a triathlon, I try to do the same thing. But I do find it difficult to swim laps in those tiny pools! Back...forth...back...forth...Yeesh!

LeeAnne

hi......hmmm i am just hapy to be on the ship on a cruise....going on my 7th this feb on caribbean princess.i dont care where my lounge chair is just as long as i get one :) and to tell you the truth i have always gotten one.....heres an idea though..maybe they should asign a lounge chair to each person based on their cabin number and ocupants :D and as you book your cruise on various websites or through cruiselines you can pick where you want your seat to be placed on the various decks of the ships :D and to sit in the chair you have to use your sign and sail card ha! ha! sound like a good idea?.....................stephanie from beantown (boston)

cujosmom, your picture of deck 10 brought back memories of our Mercury cruise. We had one of the aft cabins that you can see in the picture. You cannot believe how many people tried to look into our room! Maybe they just wanted to see what the room looked like. I do not really know their motivation, but it is more than a little disconcerting to be coming out of the bathroom (fully dressed, thank goodness) and seeing someone's face pressed against your window with their hand cupped around their eyes, clearly trying to look in. Creeped me out! Some people just have no common sense or sense of courtesy, I guess.

Linda

[quote name='19stephanie66']:D i just ordered two "will return later" plastic clocks from staples (they cost $3.45 a piece) the type you set the big and small hand with your fingers and we plan to leave them on our two lounge chairs when we are away from them :D[/QUOTE]
See, now THAT's a proactive person! Kudos to you, Stephanie! :)

LeeAnne

[quote name='late seating'] I suspect half the critics on this thread that condem the reserving of chairs or whatever have been guilty of what it is they despise. My wife and I are addicted people watchers and always have a smile for predictability.[/QUOTE]

This thread reminds me of another quote also:

"Should we all confess our sins to one another we would all laugh at one another for our lack of originality." - Khalil Gibran

What a great topic this is !

We rant and rave but the hogs will still be there.

A guy on our first cruise used to go out for a run on a morning early and any towels he found on the chairs went into the pool.

Why can't the cruiselines assign you a deck towel in your room that you are respnsible for. If this is lost then you get charged. I doubt if many people would leave them around then.

With all the "additional charges" the lines have come up with over the years, I'm surprised they've never resurrected the policy that was "de rigurere" (sp) on EVERY ship 'till 25 or so years ago. You RENTED your deck chair for the entire cruise. It was $5 for a week cruise, $8 to $10 for a 10 day - 2 weeker and that was YOUR chair, all the time. If someone happened to be sitting in it you'd just say, "I'm sorry, that's my chair" and they would get up and leave! I'd rather pay $10 to have MY deck chair all week than $10 for one foo-foo martini.

I firmly believe the lounge chairs should only be saved while you are in the pool, on a bathroom break, or grabbing a cold drink. Other than that, once you leave your chair, it should be open for the next person who comes by. Reserving it with a will be back at clock while you are away from the pool area is no different than leaving a book on a chair to reserve.
Also as far as seeing towels early in the morning - on the past few Celebrity cruises we have taken, the pool attendants were out early in the morning leaving a pool towel folded on an arm of each chair or rolled up on the seat.

Hajekfam -- just FTR, the reason I like the "will be back" sign thing is that it prevents people from removing things from someone's chair while they are truly still using it, i.e. within the 20-minute time frame. This is useful for anyone who leaves their chair for a swim, a bathroom break, to grab a drink, or a burger at the grill to bring back. Personally, if I saw a "will be back" sign that indicated a return time of longer than 20 minutes, I would have no problem removing it and taking the chair. Of course, there would always be dolts who abused it by returning every 20 minutes to move the clock hands! But then they risk someone seeing them do this, realizing they're hogging the chair, and taking it anyway.

This is all just a fun exercise in human behavior, but hey, I'm always on the look-out for ways to grease the wheels of civility! :)

LeeAnne

Andy,

I posted this previously on this thread...
This occurs on all cruise lines. Unfortunately this has been a problem for as long as I've been cruisin'. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this question on the boards. It is controversial to say the least. Many pax combat this by placing their towels on a lounge chair late at night, after the staff is gone. Thus, the problem. Now, cruise lines are placing towels in the staterooms, making you responsible for your towel. If it is confiscated during the night on a lounge chair, and you can't account for it, they charge you the price of the towel. Thats why you have to watch your chair when your away from it. Other pax attempt to steal them as a souvenir, and you end up being charged for it. If yoy forget your towel in your stateroom, you can sign for one with your sail & sign card at the pool. You must return it or again, they will charge you for it if you don't. See how controversial an issue this is? (LOL) My wife and I just try and get to the pool early enough to avoid the confusion of getting a chair at the pool. Believe me, my wife is a sun worshiper, and she loves being right near the pool.(LOL) You can bet we're up pretty early. If we get there early enough to get a chair, we just place our towels on it and go to breakfast. Many pax are reluctant to take or move them. I guess its a chance we take to get a chair by the pool.

John

Archived