"Reserving" Chairs by the pool

rjg41

Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.

• Very satisfied
    • Somewhat satisfied
    • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
    • Somewhat dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied

Much comment has been made throughout these boards about people reserving chairs in the pool area and not using them for hours. Some people call them chair hogs. Some feel the cruise line should be more aggressive to prevent this from being done and others think that the cruise line does enough.

Here is a pole on ths issue. Some people call them chair hogs.

Here is a pole on ths issue. Some people call them chair hogs.

I hate to get involved in these controversial subjects, but I must speak up here, since we all know a problem exists with chair hogs, why would you want to throw a pole on the issue, someone might get injured!

That’s all I have to say about this or that or the other thing or, what the he11 were we talking about?

The right solution for this is in some ways similar to how you handle people who park in no parking zones and leave their cars. Concurrently, you could strike a real blow for the cause of ichthyography (teaching fish to write). You mark the "hog's" reading material with chalk, and if it hasn't moved in 10 minutes, you chuck it overboard. Check first to assure that it isn't from the ship's library.

Yes rjg41,

It occurs on all cruise lines. Unfortunately this has been a problem for as long as I've been cruisin'. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this question on the boards. It is controversial to say the least. Many pax combat this by placing their towels on a lounge chair late at night, after the staff is gone. Thus, the problem. Now, cruise lines are placing towels in the staterooms, making you responsible for your towel. If it is confiscated during the night on a lounge chair, and you can't account for it, they charge you the price of the towel. Thats why you have to watch your chair when your away from it. Other pax attempt to steal them as a souvenir, and you end up being charged for it. If yoy forget your towel in your stateroom, you can sign for one with your sail & sign card at the pool. You must return it or again, they will charge you for it if you don't. See how controversial an issue this is? (LOL) My wife and I just try and get to the pool early enough to avoid the confusion of getting a chair at the pool. Believe me, my wife is a sun worshiper, and she loves being right near the pool.(LOL) You can bet we're up pretty early. If we get there early enough to get a chair, we just place our towels on it and go to breakfast. Many pax are reluctant to take or move them. I guess its a chance we take to get a chair by the pool.

John

There is a fine line here between a chair hog, and how long you can be up from your chair without someone being mad at you. There are some people who get someone out at 7 am to hold 27 chairs for their group, including 1 for each child that never sits in a chair. Then there might be someone like me, who may get their chair, then go for an 11 am massage, and, heaven forbid, tack on a visit to the dining room for lunch. Does that mean that someone should throw my book over, as someone suggested. I think that, knowing what goes on with chairs, I don't think it should be a problem for me to keep one, because the alternative would be to give up my chair, then never to be able to find one for the rest of the afternoon. There is really no fair way to do this altogether, because who is to say how many chairs to really reserve. Everyone feels that they are entitled to the number of chairs that they have paid passengers. Its a no win situation here, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Stan,

Its not that long at all. One of us stays by the chair, while the other gets breakfast. When she or I return, then the other goes. We never actually leave our chairs. We eat our breakfast right at the pool. We are not that selfish. We've been cruising for years, and we are always considerate towards other pax. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying.

John

On Z they were out at 7:20 putting towels on chairs. I know because I was trying to help a pax who had been on a 14 night cruise and never been able to get a lounger by the pool. I was stunned that there were easily half the chairs already reserved.

I did not mean to argue but isn't it a obsurd situation when you have to get up early leave you DW by the pool so you can have breakfast separately and then come back and switch?

Maybe if the stewards on deck would take a more proactive roll this would not be necessary.

I just came back from a cruise and the chair hogs were unbelievable. One man asked the pool butler to put out 12 towels and then he went back and got the books. We were at the pool from 7:00 until 2:00 and the 12 chairs were never occupied at the same time.

I have never gotten a chair on a cruise and decided that this time I would. I set the alarm for 6 and got there at 7:00 the chairs were almost all gone.

I disagree with the 10 minute rule though. I only left my chair when I got hot and wanted to cool down in the pool. I definitely feel that you have the right to save your chair when you are in the pool since that is the reason that they have chairs at the pool and besides if you didn't have achair where would you leave your stuff? ( towel shoes, shorts or cover up etc.)

I disagree with the 10 minute rule though. I only left my chair when I got hot and wanted to cool down in the pool.

OK, make it 20 minutes, but we have to draw a line somewhere. I am being paid to tout the "No Fish Left Behind" and "Reading is Findamental" programs, and I've got to do my bit to earn the money.

I always get up and have my coffee by the pool in the morning(around 6:30am) and save 2 chairs for our group - I don't like saving any others as it "ticks off" people. I understand where they are coming from but if chairs are not used in 2 hours - I move the towels. If they come, well I say there was no one there and no one has said a bad word to me. If my group hasn't come - I give them up - only fair to others.

This age-old problem would go away if X adhered to something like a 20- or 30 -minute rule. That's enough time to enjoy a swim, or get something from the grill. However, I am always surprised that when pool chairs are in high demand, some people think that they can chose to engage in activities elsewhere on the ship for a couple of hours and come back to a reserved chair. Oink! Dreamer58 is right - if the chairs have not been used in 2 hours, they made the choice - move the towels! It's only fair to others.

There have always been chair hogs on every cruise we have been on and unless the cruiseline is really willing to police this and from the boards it would seem that none are, then this will always be a problem.

We were on the Infinity in December and as we are from the UK our timings were a bit awry so we found ourselves up and about at around 5.00-5.30 a.m. in the mornings during the earlier part of the cruise. Whilst walking through the Aqua spa area we would frequently see one person with a bag full of towels and books 'reserving chairs' for their family/friends. Once their mission was accomplished they would leave, presumably to go back to their cabin to lie in, as no one was on any of the reserved chairs when we returned around from our wanderings some time later. The chairs around the pool were not reserved as early as these!!

If we hadn't been lucky enough to have had our own balcony and lounges I would have had no hesitation in moving any of these towels and books if I had come down later to use (and stay) on a chair for the duration.

We both feel that Celebrity certainly does not police the situation of chair hogs well and will only now cruise if we can afford a balcony. This means that we can only cruise once a year but at least we do not have the hassle of having to deal with the 'chair hogs'.

Lyn

UK

I just don't understand why people want to spend entire days frying their skin in the sun, but that is their business. If I want to sit by the pool for an hour and there are no chairs available if I find a chair with a towel on it I just remove the towel and sit down and read my book. If the person appears so be it I will get up for them, but chances are they don't and after an hour I am on my way to do some exploring of the ship or sit in the shade or do any number of other things. The chairs by the pool and the theater are not reserved and it is first come first served. I can't abide selfish people who think they are entitled to more that anyone else.

Seagulls I'm with you. A towel on a chair to me is as good as an empty chair. I toss it and sit, and in all my cruises no one has ever said a word to me.

On the Century at Christmas, I did notice the pool butlers making the rounds every hour or so removing the towels from the empty chairs.

On Princess it was a bit easier to get a chair because it was that system where they left your towel in your room and you were responsible for it. It was a trade off because it also meant schlepping your wet towel to lunch.

As far as leaving your chair to get a message or eat a meal? Sorry thats too long. Like we used to say back in Brooklyn "Move your meat, lose your seat"

Suzanne

There have always been chair hogs on every cruise we have been on and unless the cruiseline is really willing to police this and from the boards it would seem that none are, then this will always be a problem.

We were on the Infinity in December and as we are from the UK our timings were a bit awry so we found ourselves up and about at around 5.00-5.30 a.m. in the mornings during the earlier part of the cruise. Whilst walking through the Aqua spa area we would frequently see one person with a bag full of towels and books 'reserving chairs' for their family/friends. Once their mission was accomplished they would leave, presumably to go back to their cabin to lie in, as no one was on any of the reserved chairs when we returned around from our wanderings some time later. The chairs around the pool were not reserved as early as these!!

If we hadn't been lucky enough to have had our own balcony and lounges I would have had no hesitation in moving any of these towels and books if I had come down later to use (and stay) on a chair for the duration.

We both feel that Celebrity certainly does not police the situation of chair hogs well and will only now cruise if we can afford a balcony. This means that we can only cruise once a year but at least we do not have the hassle of having to deal with the 'chair hogs'.

Lyn

UK

AH, a way to solve the problem, Do not allow passingers in inside cabins in the chairs.:D :D :D :D :D Just kidding

Stan,

Its not that long at all. One of us stays by the chair, while the other gets breakfast. When she or I return, then the other goes. We never actually leave our chairs. We eat our breakfast right at the pool. We are not that selfish. We've been cruising for years, and we are always considerate towards other pax. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying.

John

This is not the first time I have heard of someone taking food out& bringing it back to there room or somewhere else. What do they put it on, do they have take out containers?

To me this is a no-brainer. Anyone who 'reserves' a chair for future use is out of line. In the time that these chairs are supposed to be out of commission waiting for their 'owners', several people could use them. This allows more people to enjoy their cruise rather than those few who think they deserve a chair. If a chair is not available by the pool, there usually are some elsewhere. Think of the extra steps to get to the pool as 2 more deserts. LOL

Also, by using a less popular chair, you are less likely to have your stuff removed while you take a swim. (Not to mention there is sometimes a nice cool breeze away from the oven that surrounds the pool).

This is not the first time I have heard of someone taking food out& bringing it back to there room or somewhere else. What do they put it on, do they have take out containers?

On Celebrity, if you get your breakfast at the buffet, you first get a tray with a placemat, napkin, and silverware. Food is on real plates, not plastic. In fact, there are tables with umbrellas poolside (behind the lounge chairs) for those that enjoy eating poolside.

One suggestion that might help. If you are just going to be away for say 20 minutes to take a dip in the pool, or get a drink/snack, tape a timed note saying that you are in the pool or wherever, and if not back in that time period, tell them to please help themselves! Then if you need to be gone a little longer, just put another timed note up. At least people know that you have not just abandoned the chair and are really using it. :)

I just got back from the Zenith where I was labeled a "rude American" by one British lady. After three hours (we timed it) of the chairs sitting empty, my wife took the towels and paperback book off a couple of chairs and she sat down. My wife said people clapped as she did it. LOL An hour later this women showed up and had a cow. I asked her how long she had been gone, "none of my business" I was told. Then she tried to grab my wife's chair (she had left for a second to grab something from the cabin), I kindly asked her not to and pointed to a single vacant chair. She stormed off screaming how rude we were and sat in the empty chair....for about 20 minutes and left. I didn't have the heart to tell her that you can no longer claim ownership in the name of the Queen.....or that I'm from Scotland. LOL

Archived