"Reserving" Chairs by the pool

rjg41

Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with Celebrity's handling of people reserving chairs by the pool.

• Very satisfied
    • Somewhat satisfied
    • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
    • Somewhat dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied

An obvious problem is that most ships are not designed to accomodate all who want to sun themselves reasonably close to the pool area. Especially true on those days at sea. We love the sun and go out of our way to eat lunch and take a dips solo as to not offend the other passengers.

We have experienced the chair shortage/chair hog scenarios on the Zenith, Century and Infinity. Hopefully our 2/12/05 expereince on the Constellation will be better.

Footnote: Last June took my 2 daughter on the Caribbean Princess. First time on a Princess ship .. the expereince was a good one. The Carribean Princess has 5 pools laid out all across the ship. Two main pools amidship 1 spa pool forward and an adult only pool aft. The ship was totally booked but, we always found lounge chairs close to a pool.

I agree with StanJJ111, wait the 20 minutes and if no one comes back just take the stuff off and take the chair. I don't even know if I'd tell anyone of the crew. Just do it and let the offenders cry and moan when they get back.

[quote name='tuggers']You know you don't really think chair hogs are going to care what we think do you? If they cared they wouldn't hog chairs![/QUOTE]

Tuggers, in reading some of the posts on this thread, a couple of our CC friends may have found out something they never realized --
:eek: that they may be a chair hog too :eek:!

[quote name='tuggers']LeeAnne,

How is it in that dream world you live in! LOL! You know you don't really think chair hogs are going to care what we think do you? If they cared they wouldn't
hog chairs![/QUOTE]
Y'know, it's pretty nice in here, actually! I am an eternal optimist, and always will be. :)

LeeAnne

We just got off the 1/15 sailing of the Century, and even in the inclement weather the chairs were all taken. One day we wandered around for a half hour, and every time we saw an open chair we asked if we could use it, but were promptly turned down. However we had a surprise... at one point we asked a man if the chair next to him was taken, and he said "YES" and grabbed the chair and pulled it towards him. There was nothing on the chair... no towel, no nothing. Not 10 seconds later, a pool butler grabbed the chair from him and gave it to another woman, who had complained because she couldn't find a chair. If I had known the pool butlers were assisting in that manner, I'd have asked them right away. :)

Hajekfam,

If you want to swim then sit in the hottub and it takes more than 20 minutes, give up your chair and get to the end of the line. It's not fair for you to monopolize a chair for that long and not use it! Why should someone have to wander around not enjoying the pool area if there are empty chairs?:mad:

I must admit that I was about to not even read this post. Then I saw someone mention "what if I have a massage at 11 and then decide to have lunch" or something to that effect.
I was shocked by that attitude, and have decided to put it into short hand for them. If you have a massage, and then lunch... It means you are leaving the pool!
Come back later when your activites are done.
But you have left.
That is over an hour plus.
You are gone.
Sorry.
Schedule the massage later if you do not want to leave the pool.
I move my things when I leave for more than 20 minutes (a quick trip to the bathroom, dip in the pool, 15 minutes in the hot tub, lunch somewhere else).
I think the 20 minute solution is more than fair and should be adopted by the line as policy. If fitness clubs limit time on equipment during peak hours, then cruise lines can limit time AWAY from equipment during peak hours. I have never heard anyone complain that they can't do an extra 15 minutes on a treadmill, and find it an interesting comment on society that we freak out over losing the ability to sit on our fannies at our whim, regardless of simple courtesy which we live with at home without complaint.

Actually, I think it is a good idea to ask the people sitting in the surrounding area how long the chairs have been vacant. If someone is going for a dip, or running up to their room for a minute they will often times tell their neighbors to please watch their chairs, they will be back in a few minutes. This usually works for me and often times the reply is something to the effect that they have been there for a couple of hours and not seen anyone in the chairs.

Here's my horror story: 3 pm, lounge chair with a towel on it - nothing else, I move the towel aside, and sit down. An hour later a woman comes up and starts yelling at me that I am sitting on her chair, and that I moved her towel. I calmly explained the policy and the facts, which resulted in her calling me all kinds of names. My friend kept telling me to get up and leave - that it wasn't worth the hassle - but I held my ground. Of course, I was upset afterwards - who needs this on vacation? And then I kept running in to her throughout the cruise.

But I am a chairhog too - I get out there at 8:00, put my stuff in a non-prime spot (not on the pool deck, not in the shade), and then go to breakfast for a half hour. If I don't do this - I am miserable through breakfast wondering what I will see when I get out there (rows of magazines!). But I am back by 8:30 - and I don't leave the chair for the rest of the day - no pool, no lunch - nothing. If I leave, my stuff goes with me, and I give up the chair. And I've paid the price for this bit of stupidity too - skin cancer twice and I am 46 - but that's another thread. Do I regret reserving chairs? Of course.

ok - you are only 46 and I am not far ahead of you = but I do get a chair and go and get a cup of coffee and come back - 10 minutes - I do expect it to be there. I am not a chair hog by any means. If I am gone more than 20 minutes - yes I will give up my chair. I am one of those people up at 6 - 7am and want a quiet place to read and have coffee. I do save 2 chairs for our group - but if I see others who are there and want more - no problem. There are jerks out there and one is a previous reply - if a chair is empty, it's mine. Well if I go for dip in the pool and come back in 5 minutes you are there- beware - LOLOLOLOL

on our cruise, we had a lot of problems with reserving chairs..... my uncle would get out at around 7 or 8 and watch people throw their towels and stuff down and leave....id meet him out there at 9 and grab an empty chair next to him....my brother and cousins came out later, and if there werent any chairs near us, they would go and find empty ones, no big deal

well, it was around 2pm, and the people had yet to come back to the chairs they reserved at 8....a family came and asked the people next to the empty chairs if they were taken....the people replied that there hadnt been anyone there for a few hours...the pool butler came and took the stuff to keep it safe and the family used the chairs

well, around 3pm, the people that "reserved" the chairs at 8am came back, and basically yelled at the family....security was called and they sat there trying to diffuse the situation for at least 30min..... it was ridiculous

evreyone knows that if you leave to get lunch, take a dip in the pool, go to the bathroom, etc, that you are returning....most people, in previous cruises, have given you 20-30 minutes, because lunch lines can be long....but to expect someone to save your chair for 7 hours? thats ridiculous

[quote name='Dreamer58']ok - but I do get a chair and go and get a cup of coffee and come back - 10 minutes - I do expect it to be there. I am not a chair hog by any means.

I would think that anytime you "reserve" a chair and don't use it, you're being a chair hog. What's left is quibbling over to what extent you're a chair hog.

I still like the idea of having shelving units near the pool and the requirement that if you leave your chair temporarily (which, of course, chair hogs feel can be up to eight hours) you simply put your book, or sandals, or whatever on the shelf, and when you're ready to actually sit in a chair, you retrieve your possessions and take a new available chair. More than likely, there would never be a wait for a new chair, because 50 to 60 percent of the chairs wouldn't be "reserved" at 5 a.m. for Aunt Tilly or Uncle Fester in case they feel like sitting for ten minutes after afternoon Bingo is over.

I think that this whole thing is rediculous. If you are going in the pool for a dip or to your room for a minute, etc., etc., etc., you can just tell the people who are sitting next to you, to tell anyone who inquires that you will be back in few minutes. Your fellow cruisers will be happy to do this for you. Although when I have asked the answer is usually that no one has sat in them for a couple of hours. Now if you ask someone to relay the info that you will be back in a few minutes and you fail to show your face in a reasonable time there is no way that they are going to cover your behind by lying and you will have lost the chairs!

If people are concerned with getting a chair by the pool, then I suggest a cruise with alot of ports. During sailings that have several stops, there is hardly a problem getting a deck chair by the pool, or wherever you want one. Most pax go to port for the day and are not concerned with the pool deck. Many of our cruises have at least 4 to 5 ports of call during a 7nt cruise. Since my DW and I have cruised many times to many of the same islands, we now can choose to stay aboard ship and relax the day away by the pool. Its the best time to catch up on some sun and pool when at port. if you do go into port, you can always come back early enough to catch some rays and relax by the pool in your very own deck chair. You will experience more difficulty getting a deck chair during sailings with 2 or more days at sea.

BTW...I still like the idea someone suggested about the "Be BAck At" clocks. This way you can set the clock at which time you will be returning and place it on the chair when you leave deck chair. This is very innovative whoever thought of it. These clocks can be purchased for $3.95 at Walmart or Target.

John

In reading this thread, I have learned 2 solutions to this problem.
A) Find a pool butler and make HIM find you a chair or
B) Take a chair that just has a rolled up towel on it. If the person comes back, play dumb and say it was empty. You can always blame the pool butler for moving it. (I think a rolled up towel is as good as an empty chair)
Suzanne

[quote name='Robinsilver']There is a fine line here between a chair hog, and how long you can be up from your chair without someone being mad at you. There are some people who get someone out at 7 am to hold 27 chairs for their group, including 1 for each child that never sits in a chair. Then there might be someone like me, who may get their chair, then go for an 11 am massage, and, heaven forbid, tack on a visit to the dining room for lunch. Does that mean that someone should throw my book over, as someone suggested.[/QUOTE]

Yes.
If this is what you do on a cruise, then you are a chair hog.
If you are going to be away from a chair for (from your description) at least an hour, maybe two hours, then it is no longer your chair. There is no difference between holding 27 chairs at 7 am and what you do, except that, I suspect that the person holding 27 chairs knows THEY are a chair hog, and you don't think that you are.

[quote name='Melissa at Mohair Meadows']Hajekfam,

If you want to swim then sit in the hottub and it takes more than 20 minutes, give up your chair and get to the end of the line. It's not fair for you to monopolize a chair for that long and not use it! Why should someone have to wander around not enjoying the pool area if there are empty chairs?:mad:[/QUOTE]
Until they put in places to store your belongings while you are in the pool or hot tub, a chair is the best place to keep your belongings up from danger. I have seen the pools splash water quite far out of the pools, so storing your belongings on the ground while you are in the pool is ridiculous - nothing worse than a wet coverup, soaked shoes, and sodden book. I feel that as long as you are using the pool facilities (laying out in a chair or enjoying the pool and hot tubs), you should be entitled to a chair. If I go get something to eat, I of course give up my chair as I am no longer using the pool.

[quote name='hajekfam']Until they put in places to store your belongings while you are in the pool or hot tub, a chair is the best place to keep your belongings up from danger. I have seen the pools splash water quite far out of the pools, so storing your belongings on the ground while you are in the pool is ridiculous - nothing worse than a wet coverup, soaked shoes, and sodden book. I feel that as long as you are using the pool facilities (laying out in a chair or enjoying the pool and hot tubs), you should be entitled to a chair. If I go get something to eat, I of course give up my chair as I am no longer using the pool.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree more. If you are at the pool, you are entitled to a chair.

I also fully agree with JMB410 that Robinsilver is a classic example of a chair hog who doesn't realize she is a chair hog. IMO, it is these people who can benefit the most from these threads by recognizing the error of their ways, and resolving to be more courteous to the other pax on future cruises. And there's my eternal infernal optimism rearing its head! :D

LeeAnne

Archived