Can you legally take 2 bottles of wine on board?

hartskys

So...that was my question. Each port we stop at we can buy a bottle of wine per person over 21 again and bring that on board?

No. Just at embarkation. At a port, when they find the wine in your bags at X-ray, they will tell you to go to a table set up nearby to check your wine for the rest of the cruise.

If you do that or not is your decision. Often they are very crowded and wouldn't notice you walking by with it.

But you couldn't take that 1 bottle per person in your carry-on through airport security' date=' could you?. If you buy it after your flight and before you board the ship, that might work.[/quote']

I don't think you could, because carry on liquid is limited to 3 oz. You could put in your checked luggage, but I'd be afraid of breakage.

What about box wine? Will security get confused if I bring boxed instead of bottles. Last time we checked it but with them paying more attention to those types of items I will just put it in my carryon.

Trust me on this:

Security NEVER gets confused.......

So as long as the total volume is equal to the per person limit we should be ok?

I don't know carefully they check, but carried 3 bottles onto the Victory a few years ago, when i was with my wife and our 14 year old son. Nobody seemed to be looking to hard.

They were 1.5 litre bottles - I don't know if that is going to attract any attention these days,.

But you couldn't take that 1 bottle per person in your carry-on through airport security' date=' could you?. If you buy it after your flight and before you board the ship, that might work.[/quote']

No of course you can't. We have to fly to port and put the wine in our checked luggage (well packed and sealed to prevent any breakage)...then we take it out of our checked luggage and into the backpack we bring on board the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of wine (cheap or otherwise) and my girlfriend and I will each be bringing a bottle on board at embarkation but has anyone tried taking the bladder out of a big box of wine (ie franzia) and taking it through security upon embarkation? Seems a lot like rum runners w/o the hassle of buying them.

That's great. We love wine and it would be great to take it on with us. Will the steward open it for us?

Get to know a few bartenders...they will open the bottle for you prior to dinner at no charge. I carried a corkscrew only to find my wife purchased wine with a screw top (which turned out to be delicious by the way!!) so it was not necessary but I saw several couples carrying bottles of wine to the bar, the bartender opened it for them, they enjoyed a glass at the bar and carried the open bottle to the dining room. Also, on the first day you have the option to purchase a wine package at a pretty decent discount (25% off menu price) which amounted to about $80-$125 depending on quality for 4 bottles on the 4 day cruise on the Sensation 2/7/10.

Our room steward made sure to keep our bottles on ice for us until we drank it and based on how willing they are to please they could probably get it opened for you if you ask!!

Have fun!!

Can you buy wine at one of the ports you stop in and bring it on the ship?

Embarkation only. Apparently some ports are less strict about that. You can try it. Worst case is they take it and return it to you your last night.

I carried a corkscrew only to find my wife purchased wine with a screw top

Haha, same here. I was worried that security wouldn't let us through with the corkscrew since it had a foil knife or whatever you call it attached to it. My BF even asked (he carried it on) as he went through and they said it was fine. I had gone way ahead of him because he for some reason got stuck behind a bunch of people at the xrays and he was carrying a bag with our 2 bottles of wine in it. They kind of did a double glance at it and let him through. I dont even think he told them that I had already gone through.

• 2 weeks later...
Usually, I leave them in the room, dirty, and they are replaced when the steward makes up the room. Once or twice I've asked for new glasses, and once or twice I've taken them off the steward's cart in the hallway.[/quote]

How do you know they were clean?;)

I don't know carefully they check, but carried 3 bottles onto the Victory a few years ago,.

Times have changed.

I've brought wine on from ports before, but that was in Europe not NA/Carib so I can't speak to that.

And for the Millionth time, the term corkage has nothing to do with opening a bottle of wine (Mach you should know better :p).

Open or closed, a waiter could charge you corkage if you bring your bottle into the dining room. One of our table mates on one cruise thought he would do the classy thing and took his wine to the Maitre d' before dinner to have it brought to the table. The waiter told him not to do it again as he handed him the S&S bill with the corkage fee on it. The waiters really really don't want to charge corkage, they know it will affect their tips.

Archived