Did anyone read SteveAlan's review?

cruzndiz

We were on the same cruise as SteveAlan - Mariner 1/10 -1/24, FLL-Lima. We have 101 nights on Regent and have been cruising with them since 2001. We have also tried Holland America, SilverSea, Sea Dream Yacht Club and Princess. Fortunately, we had a very different experience with the food,wine and service on board the Mariner than did SteveAlan. We felt Chef Cornel Ruhland did an excellent job and would rank this cruise as one of our best in the food dept. The wine offerings were the best we have ever experienced on a cruise ship. We sat in all sections of Compass Rose for dinner and never had a problem with service. I will try to get a review posted in the next few days.

We are currently on the Mariner, and are having an absolutely lovely time. It is hard to believe Stevealan is talking about the same ship. Yes, it would be helpful to have a few more members of the waitstaff, but at the moment most cruise lines are having staffing issues because of the Oasis of the Seas having to hire so many people. That being said we have not really experienced any major service issues. Food has been good to great.

It's good to hear the varying opinions of the same cruise. A friend on one of our Voyager cruises had a totally different food experience than I did (and it was the same chef that is currently on the Mariner). Her negative comments regarding the food were just as valid as my positive ones. It reminded me of a show on television where three people are blindfolded and taste the same food. They rarely picked the same (or correct) item that they were tasting.

In terms of service in Compass Rose. . . . there are three times on each cruise when the staff becomes overwhelmed. On nights of the Captain's Welcome, Captain's Farewell and the Seven Seas Society party. At the end of these events, passengers arrive at CR en mass -- it amazes me that the service is as good as it is on those evenings.

Wendy, it's interesting to hear that the kitchen of the Mariner is laid out better than the Voyager. The layout of La Veranda on the Mariner is very cramped - perhaps the kitchen utilizes all of the space:confused: I guess they do have a lot more room on the Mariner because of the smaller suites. Still, both ships are lovely!

Wendy, it's interesting to hear that the kitchen of the Mariner is laid out better than the Voyager. The layout of La Veranda on the Mariner is very cramped - perhaps the kitchen utilizes all of the space:confused: I guess they do have a lot more room on the Mariner because of the smaller suites. Still, both ships are lovely!

Jackie, I think that's what I remember Georg Hessler telling us--we had a CDB galley tour, which is a bit more intense than the usual one, and he was explaining how the setup area is laid out to get plates out. He said it was really badly designed on Voyager, and that Mariner was way better.

Archived