Wind?

sparky9016

The ship is moving thru the water at 20kts or so most of the time and add in the prevailing winds and it can get very windy on deck. On several cruises that I have been on the Captain has closed off some of the upper deck for the safety of the passangers due to the high winds.

Yes--if the ship is moving, it's windy! Stick your head out of a moving car.....see?

Even when the ship is still, there's almost always wind at sea...there's nothing to stop it...no mountains, buildings, trees.....

If you stay towards the middle of the deck and away from the railings, the wind is less....when reading on the pool deck, it can take both hands to hold the pages down!

Ok, I keep reading on these boards about the ship decks being very windy. This is going to be my first cruise, so I'm just curious... is it ALWAYS windy on the decks during a cruise, or is this dependent on the weather? Thanks!

Multiple answers available even when there is fairly calm weather. If the ship is traveling east to west at 20mph and the wind is blowing from the west at 15mph. The relative wind across the deck will be 35mph. A passing ship going the opposite direction would have a relative wind on deck of 5mph.

If the ship is traveling east to west, or any direction at 20mph and the wind is blowing from the side at 5mph or more, you will have buffeting winds.

Since most cruises are in the Caribbean, the tropics, the wind is a good thing.

Lido deck usually is enclosed with glass walls in the main pool area. You can lay out and tan with little wind in that area. Open decks have been windy while the ship is at full speed. If it's too windy or if you go through a storm at sea some decks will be closed. There are so many things to do in the ship you'll always have a great time.

I was on the Miracle a few years ago, it was clear but windy. I went to take a drink and it flew in the mouth of the guy standing down wind from me. He wore most of it but he did get a taste and thanked me but said "sorry, I'm married" we had a good laugh at that one. We were deck above the Lido so not as sheltered. Sheltered you just get a nice breeze. Have been on ships though when decks are closed and also had warnings about children and the elderly.

I was on the Miracle a few years ago, it was clear but windy. I went to take a drink and it flew in the mouth of the guy standing down wind from me. He wore most of it but he did get a taste and thanked me but said "sorry, I'm married" we had a good laugh at that one. We were deck above the Lido so not as sheltered. Sheltered you just get a nice breeze. Have been on ships though when decks are closed and also had warnings about children and the elderly.

LOL - that is too funny! Thanks to everyone who helped clarify for me... and to others... I was aware there would be wind on a moving ship, but thank you for pointing that out. :rolleyes: I guess I should have been more specific. I was just wondering if it was prohibitive, mainly. Thanks again!!!

My friend and I both wore sundresses to embark on the cruise. Needless to say as we were walking around the Lido waiting for our cabins to be available I had to keep a firm grip on my dress. I didn't have my bathing suit under it and even if I did, I think it would be embarrassing. This time I'm bringing those biking shorts to wear under my dresses :D

A very old joke--

An old lady was standing at the railing of the cruise ship

holding her hat tight

so that it would not blow away in the wind.

A gentleman approached her and said,

"Pardon me, madam.

I do not intend to be forward

but did you know that your dress

is blowing up in this high wind?"

"Yes, I know," said the lady.

"I need both my hands

to hold onto this hat."

"But madam, you must know that you are

not wearing any panties

and your privates are exposed!"

said the gentleman in earnest.