Princess cruise with a 2-year-old

bethleham

We are considering a Princess Southern Caribbean cruise because we like the itinerary. The only thing holding us back from booking is our concern about cruising with our toddler. Would he have a good time, even though he is too young for the children's programs? Are there lots of things we could do as a family at the different ports? How would he be received onboard? If anyone has some insight, we would greatly appreciate the advice.

My girls did a few Princess cruises before they were 3 and we always had a great time. Since Princess is one of the only lines with absolutely no child care or program for little ones, you just have to be ok with spending every moment with your child. One nice thing about Princess though is you can take under-3s child to the kids area to play, you just have to stay with them. We always had plenty to do on board, even without the pools (we would just enjoy the pool/beach in port). In all my experiences on Princess, the crew absolutely loves babies/children. We'd hardly ever have a moment alone because someone from the crew always wanted to come over and fawn over/talk to/hold my daughters.

I will say, that once my twins turned 2, we did Carnival so they could participate in the program, even though it wasn't my first choice of cruise. As soon as they turned 3, we went back to what mommy prefers. But you'll absolutely feel welcome on Princess.

Best,

Mia

My girls did a few Princess cruises before they were 3 and we always had a great time. Since Princess is one of the only lines with absolutely no child care or program for little ones' date=' you just have to be ok with spending every moment with your child. One nice thing about Princess though is you can take under-3s child to the kids area to play, you just have to stay with them. We always had plenty to do on board, even without the pools (we would just enjoy the pool/beach in port). In all my experiences on Princess, the crew absolutely loves babies/children. We'd hardly ever have a moment alone because someone from the crew always wanted to come over and fawn over/talk to/hold my daughters.

I will say, that once my twins turned 2, we did Carnival so they could participate in the program, even though it wasn't my first choice of cruise. As soon as they turned 3, we went back to what mommy prefers. But you'll absolutely feel welcome on Princess.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

LOL we went on CArnival in DEC because our DD was only 2 and guess what ?she did not care for kids club at all,she spend there 30 min one day and start crying.I wish we would go on Princess:D

We took our 2yo as well as our 6yo on the Princess Sapphire to Alaska last summer and both of them had a ball. We took him to the kids clubs twice and that was fun, but he really enjoyed himself just exploring the ship. The first night out he had a great time in the nearly empty arcade. The lights and the music were great. He just dnaced himself silly.

Our son was 18 months when we went on the Sapphire. Crew was awesome and he even got lots of attention from other cruisers. Just be prepared to spend LOTS of time going up and down the elevators. :D We enjoyed playing in the kids club too. Lots of fun toys, crafts, and fun music and DVDs. We had our own dance party with lots of freeze dancing. :p My only recommendation would be to get a balcony room if possible. That area saved my sanity a few times.

Just a word of caution - Southern Caribbean itineraries are very port-intensive, and the weather in these ports tends to be very HOT and HUMID no matter what time of the year. (Aruba does have those consistent cooling winds, though). How old will your toddler be? No baby or toddler who is not completely toilet-trained can use any of the ship's pools. Swimmie diapers are not allowed. The shortest So. Carib cruises are 7 days from San Juan (which can be a long flight from the mainland). Princess is my 2nd favorite cruise line, but they don't offer much for toddlers. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise! (Bring Grandma - we're all great sitters!)

We just booked a southern carribean Princess cruise with our 3 year old. We loved the itinerary and cabin availability. We did the southern carribean on Carnival last year and loved all the ports. Since Carnival offered child care for 2 year olds, it was a better fit for us at the time. Even so, there were not as many children on the ship as other Carnival cruises we have taken.

We just booked a southern carribean Princess cruise with our 3 year old. We loved the itinerary and cabin availability. We did the southern carribean on Carnival last year and loved all the ports. Since Carnival offered child care for 2 year olds, it was a better fit for us at the time. Even so, there were not as many children on the ship as other Carnival cruises we have taken.

Not surprised. Because of the $$$$ involved in airfare to San Juan, you will most likely not find many children on Southern cruises. So many families with kids drive to US ports to save air costs, which makes their cruise more affordable. Air from the US mainland to PR is never very cheap, especially since Southern cruises only run in the Winter and Spring months. Hope you enjoy your cruise! (I do like Princess).

Archived