Packing ?? for Bahamas right now

cruzndiz

Okay, for the first time ever I'm totally at a loss......:confused: We usually cruise out of Florida to the Caribbean in January or February; I've only ever sailed out of New York in warmer weather.

That being said, and since space is no object due to the fact that we're driving to the pier........

What should I pack?? Four days of winter clothes and four days of spring clothes? Any summer clothes?? Sunscreen??

Hi

It is a challenge cruising out of NY in the winter :)

Last year when I did a 12 day out of NJ in February we wore our winter clothes the first day. Jeans-sweaters. The second day you saw people in shorts t-shirts- capris. No one was really going out side.

For Florida and the Bahamas we will wear summer clothes. I am leaving on 2/27/10 so I checked the long range forecast on weather .com at it will be 75 while in Fla and 80 in the Bahamas. As I am up in Syracuse 40s would seem tropical to us :D

Sunscreen yes! Especially for that cute Grandson of yours ;)

Have a great time!

Nora

Based on the temperratures in Florida right now , I would make sure to take lots of warm stuff. Highs for the next week are upper 60s to lower 70s. The Bahamas can be quiet cool this time of year. It is certainly not a tropical cruise.

We were on the Gem to the Bahamas last week of Feb. 2009 and didn't pack enough warm clothes for Florida or the Bahamas. It was a cold snap and didn't get over 65 the whole week. On the ship, you are fine as indoors so I did wear my capri pants. I only packed one zip up hoody and wore it the entire week. We could have used an in between type jacket in Nassau as it was 62. The locals were bundled up in ski jackets, hats and gloves and said it has not been that cold in 25 years.

The sun was warm the day were on Great Stirrup Cay and we did sun bathe, but couldn't go in the water.

So my advice is at least a zip up sweatshirt or hoodie and a spring type jacket as you will be more than likely wearing a winter weight to the dock.

We booked the Jewel for April 24th this year hoping for a little more warmth. You will love the Gem.

We sailed on the Gem last February to the Bahamas and I definitely packed way too many "hot weather" type of clothes. In the past we have always gone to the Caribbean and I just packed the same stuff. Big mistake! In Port Canaveral we went to Coco Beach and was comfortable in capris, long sleeve tee and hoody. I think the warmest it was the whole week was 70. My one and only hoody I brought got worn a lot :)

It is actually SNOWING in north Florida today! I remember when it snowed in Nassau back in January 1977!!! :eek:

Do make sure and pack some warm layers as it is really chilly and rainy here in cental Florida right now!

Okay, for the first time ever I'm totally at a loss......:confused: We usually cruise out of Florida to the Caribbean in January or February; I've only ever sailed out of New York in warmer weather.

That being said, and since space is no object due to the fact that we're driving to the pier........

What should I pack?? Four days of winter clothes and four days of spring clothes? Any summer clothes?? Sunscreen??

We are sailing out of New York in March. Last year we did the same cruise. Sunday was a sea day mostly indoors anyway, so jeans and tee's were good. By Sunday late afternoon temps were much warmer but this year Florida has been cold. I checked Bahamas yesterday and it was 83 so that is capri, short weather for sure. Could even be beach weather, so pack your sunscreen what harm could it do? Sweatshirts are a good idea also for the iffy Florida weather.

Archived