Venice Alternative

Edward50

After our transatlantic cruise drops us off at the Port of Rome our family group of four will be renting a car and driving up to visit Tuscany and Venice.

We are in Venice for two days but my wife and I have been there and would like to stay somewhere else for a couple of days.

We will have the car and a GPS so something within 1 to 3 hours driving distance would be great. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I wonder from which airport you are flying home??

It is certainly true that you don't want to have a car in Venice but am a little confused about why you are driving there if you don't want to go there???

Between Tuscany and Venice there are many other places you could visit:Lake Garda, Bologna,Verona,Padua,Ravenna,and many more!

I wonder from which airport you are flying home??

It is certainly true that you don't want to have a car in Venice but am a little confused about why you are driving there if you don't want to go there???

Between Tuscany and Venice there are many other places you could visit:Lake Garda, Bologna,Verona,Padua,Ravenna,and many more!

Sorry about that here is a bit more detail.

My brother and sister-in-law have always wanted to visit Venice. My spouse and I are looking for a new place to visit.

We were will all be staying near Florence for a week and then driving to Venice. They will stay a couple of nights in Venice while we will stay somewhere in the area. We will then drive back to Rome for 1 more week.

Of the places you have listed, which ones did you like the best and why?

Thanks again.

It is bit hard for me to answer you since Venice is my favorite city in the world!! I have been there twice so far (for a total of 10 days)and have not seen all yet.

What time of year are you traveling?? What types of things do you like to see and do?

IF you want countryside, I loved Lake Garda. There are towns all around the lake. The town of Torri del Benaco is one of the most"Italian " feeling with a castle etc. and boats that go to the other towns. There are mts in the background and the city of Verona is not too far away so you could probably do both.

Padua is closer to Venice and from there you could also visit the small towns of the Veneto area . There are wineries that make prosecco in the Veneto. There are villas to visit. There's Bassano del Grappa where they make grappa( an Italian brandy. T ooooo much to describe.:p

Your enthusiasm for Venice had us reconsider our plans. We are going to give Venice another go. We were only there for 2 days many years ago and you are correct, there are so many other things to see and do in the area. We just have to look at some of the other threads or reviews in Tripadvisor to see that the Venice and surrounding area have much to offer.

Thanks again.

We enjoy staying in Venice and after 6 visits have never tired of the place. But, if you are determined to stay elsewhere you might want to consider Verona. The center of Verona has a huge outdoor Roman Theater which runs the largest opera festival in the world during the summer months. You can read about this (and buy tickets) on their website at: http://www.arena.it/en-US/HOMEen.html

This is not just a normal opera, but is the largest opera venue in the world and everything is bigger than life. The main shopping part of downtown is right across the street from the arena as are a group of restaurants where you can dine in the shadow of the great arena. Would we pass on Venice for Verona? No, but than again, we normally spend a lot of time in Italy and have done both. But it is an option that meets your criteria.

Hank

Lake Garda is a most beautiful place to visit and very easy to get around by the regular ferry system. We stayed in the town of Garda and visited many places on th lake via the boats - Bardolino, Riva Del Garda, Malccesini(sp?), Sirmioni, Limona etc. All were charming and each had its own distinct atmosphere.

• 3 months later...

Just a little update. As it turns out we ended up staying a couple of days in Vicenza. It is about an hour from Venice. I can highly recommend this very pretty town. We stayed at the Hotel Continental which was walking distance to the town. Tripadvisor rated this hotel as number 1 in the area and we agree. Loved everything about Vicenza and would go back in a heartbeat.

One negative for Verona: The annual Opera Festival there every summer (middle of June through end of August) means that the top end -- and to some extent the mid-class -- hotels become full and pricey.

I love Verona, but this might be something to consider. You could always stay in Padua (Padova) which is an interesting town on the main rail line between Verona and Venice or Vicenza (if you like architecture, this is heaven).

Bologna is Italian foodie heaven; Ravenna has the best Byzantine tile work in the world; Lake Garda has more than several wonderful places to stay. and the list goes on ...

Archived