Ship's Shuttle Buses to Cities

We usually do shore excursions when we're in port, but we're wondering if RCCL offers shuttle buses from the ship to any of the cities on the Baltic itineraries, i.e., Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Sweden, Helsinki, etc.? We did enjoy them on Celebrity, but haven't been able to find any information on the RCCL site about them. If this is a stupid question----sorry!

We usually do shore excursions when we're in port, but we're wondering if RCCL offers shuttle buses from the ship to any of the cities on the Baltic itineraries, i.e., Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Sweden, Helsinki, etc.? We did enjoy them on Celebrity, but haven't been able to find any information on the RCCL site about them. If this is a stupid question----sorry!

Try the Ports of Call boards for answers to specific port questions. I found them to be very helpful when planning our Med cruise.

IF the ship offers a shuttle, it'll be termed a shore excursion. I doubt they'd offer JUST an option for transportation. They don't want you to go into the city and walk around -- they want you to take a tour with their people; they want to make more than a shuttle fee.

You'd probably do better looking for a private vendor. I'll echo what others have said: The port of call threads will be more helpful to you.

Certainly in the Med there are RCCL shuttles into town at various ports. What they don't tell you is that at some of the ports the local available transport is cheaper. It's only by asking the question here were we able to work out what was available. Good plan to ask the question again on the ports of call boards too but RCCL cruisers may hang out here and be able to help.

Found this on the website :

Excursion Planning

Q: Europe/South America: Will transport be available from the ship to the city centre?

A: Many ports are not located in the city centre. For the convenience of guests, a shuttle service has been arranged (for a nominal fee) in those ports that are located approximately 1 mile or more away from the closest city centre and/or do not have adequate local transport available. This service is set up to complement local transport and guests are welcome to use local services when/where available. Details of which ports will have a shuttle service and the relevant costs will be provided on board the ship.

Please note that this applies to Europe and South America sailings. Please see the additional information sent to you by post.

I think if the ship docks a way from the city centre and there is a lack of taxis/public transportation, then they are duty bound to provide a shuttle of some kind for those passengers who do not wish to buy an excursion. We've found this on all 3 RCI cruises we've been on. Our biggest complaint is that they are expensive if taken at several ports and if you are a family the extra money mounts up.

I would be interested to the answer to this question, as I am doing the same cruise in the summer, so will also pop over to the ports of call section...

In Copenhagen the city center is within walking distance to the ship, no shuttle buses are provided. However the HOHO buses come by the ship and if you wish do do that it´s an option.

I can´t comment on Gothenburg, haven´t been there.

In Helsinki they offered shuttle buses at a cost. I can´t remember how much, but my price might be irrelevant anyway, as it´s been a coupl of years.

To speak in general. In any port around the world, where it was a distance from the ship to the city center the cruise lines have provided shuttles. Most of the time they are at a cost, sometimes they are set up by the city and for free.

IF the ship offers a shuttle, it'll be termed a shore excursion. I doubt they'd offer JUST an option for transportation. They don't want you to go into the city and walk around -- they want you to take a tour with their people; they want to make more than a shuttle fee.

You'd probably do better looking for a private vendor. I'll echo what others have said: The port of call threads will be more helpful to you.

Actually they do offer just shuttle transportation.

To add to the above post, when we did the Baltic's cruise on Jewel in August of 2005 the following transportation was available. Keep in mind that we cruised 5 years ago and I am sure prices have increased. They did take American dollars when purchasing tickets for the various shuttles.

Helsinki - shuttle bus available at the pier. $5pp one way - $8pp RT

Stockholm - shuttle bus available at the pier. $4pp one way

Copenhagen - HoHo bus was available at the pier. It was $20pp because we had purchased a ticket for the HoHo bus in Oslo so we got an $8pp discount.

In Copenhagen you can walk into town, but it is not a short walk. Once in the center of town you can walk to Tivoli Gardens, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. Watch out for all the bicycles.

Estonia, the shuttle from the ship was free.

Patti (cruisenfever) thank you. Hope they still have the buses. Looking forward to meeting you and Jim. We'll be on the Jewel TA--Sept. 4 with you (we're doing the B2B).

Barb

Hi Barb, and you are more than welcome. I actually went and found the review I had written for friends that were doing the same cruise in May of 2006.

You will love the cruise, but be prepared for 2 very long days when in St. Petersburg. It will get to the point that all art work, churches and palaces will start to look alike.

We look forward to seeing you on the TA. You will need a few days to relax.

Copenhagen: You walk from the ship, past the LittleMermaid (very small) to the Palace and then to Nyhavn. A very pleasant stroll. Otherwise you catch the HOHO bus which stops by the terminal or you catch one of the HOHO boats which go round the harbour - they stop by the statue of the bear and take you to Nyhavn. A ticket covers you for all three routes.

Helsinki - there is a bus stop one block up from the port - the bus terminates here - one ticket covers bus, tram and ferry and it is around €7

Gracie, I think most of your questions have been answered. We went to Helsinki last year. There were four of us and we caught a taxi and asked to see the sights that we had decided to see and finished up having had a very nice tour at the large square very near the main quay area. Our driver took us around and also stopped at a couple of places he thought we would like and we did.

We didn't do Gotheburg, but found the hop on bus a pleasant option in Copehagen.

Gracie, I think most of your questions have been answered. We went to Helsinki last year. There were four of us and we caught a taxi and asked to see the sights that we had decided to see and finished up having had a very nice tour at the large square very near the main quay area. Our driver took us around and also stopped at a couple of places he thought we would like and we did.

We didn't do Gotheburg, but found the hop on bus a pleasant option in Copehagen.

Hawks, was the language a problem or could you find English speaking cab drivers?

Patti, do you still have the review of your trip--would it be possible to email it to me at callplum at aol dot com? We're doing SPB-Tours in St. Petersburg and have opted to visit the inside of one less cathedral and palace and do the subway tour and have lunch in restaurants both days. Really excited about that tour as Viktoria gets rave reviews here on CC boards. Have visited Copenhagen before, so we know how to handle that port. The "little mermaid" statue will be on loan (to China I believe) so it's a good thing we already have great photos.

To everyone who has been so generous to reply and provide us with such valuable information THANK YOU!!!! You can always depend on Cruise Critic people to help!

Barb

Hawks, was the language a problem or could you find English speaking cab drivers?

Patti, do you still have the review of your trip--would it be possible to email it to me at callplum at aol dot com? We're doing SPB-Tours in St. Petersburg and have opted to visit the inside of one less cathedral and palace and do the subway tour and have lunch in restaurants both days. Really excited about that tour as Viktoria gets rave reviews here on CC boards. Have visited Copenhagen before, so we know how to handle that port. The "little mermaid" statue will be on loan (to China I believe) so it's a good thing we already have great photos.

To everyone who has been so generous to reply and provide us with such valuable information THANK YOU!!!! You can always depend on Cruise Critic people to help!

Barb

Barb, you've got mail.

Archived