Need Norwegian Fiords Cruise advice

I ve booked a SeaDream to Adriatic in June , so will see whether I want to go on the new cruise they have to Norway for 2011....also like the Azamara itinerary and ship, so will make my final decision in June.....I like the idea of a smaller ship to get in ports and fjiords...:) Thanks to everyone who responded to thread, got a lot of info and great photos...

I ve booked a SeaDream to Adriatic in June , so will see whether I want to go on the new cruise they have to Norway for 2011....also like the Azamara itinerary and ship, so will make my final decision in June.....I like the idea of a smaller ship to get in ports and fjiords...:) Thanks to everyone who responded to thread, got a lot of info and great photos...

Both the June 2010 Azamara Journey (http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000_EEtpWKmbrksYfSdwYA8Xj_:12odfrvug?packageCode=JR12U042&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results) and June 2011 SeaDream (http://www.seadreamyachtclub.com/voyageview_c.pl?type=voyage&voyage_id=920) have nice itineraries - if you don't mind not seeing the northern part of Norway. I had not heard of SeaDream - so did a Google search. I'm pretty sure a SeaDream cruise is not in my future, unless someone else is paying! :D

Going on the Azamara Journey all Norwegian Fjord cruise Leaves from Copenhagen on 6/18/10 Great itinerary Have saild with them before and been extremely happy Try to get a sky suite room Currently having free upgrades and $500 shipboard credit Look into it Maureen

We booked the Adriatic cruise after calling SeaDream for specials,,so a $8000 cruise was only $3500 ,,,,would NOT have booked at full fare, so was hoping the $6000 fare quoted would also be lowered. I happened to see this cruise on Travel Channel, then read about it in Conde Naste....but your right Nancy, its expensive without a DEAL.....Hope they do the Azamara cruise in 2011 so I have a choice...I love this website, it always answers my questions and get so much info.Thanks:D

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Costa Magica back in May, 2006. It was a beautiful ship and back then there wasn't too many ships that did this particular cruise.

We loved the cruise and Norway, especially the fjords. Most beautiful place in the world but did not like Costa. Good luck in choosing.

I need help deciding between 2 North Cape cruises I have reserved. One goes to Flam and the other doesn't. Will I be sorry if I miss taking the Flam train?

We are getting ready for a July 1-16, 2010 Norway Coast cruise that includes Flam and that rail ride. From everything I have heard, it is a wonderful and interesting stop. BUT, it is hard to nearly impossible to compare unless we knew and could see the full listing of all port stops for BOTH cruise options, if there are any differences in the cruise ship/line and dates, etc. Tell us more! Then, we could give some better reactions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I need help deciding between 2 North Cape cruises I have reserved. One goes to Flam and the other doesn't. Will I be sorry if I miss taking the Flam train?

Terry's right that it's easier to judge by the whole itinerary, but here are my 2¢ anyway:

Will you be sorry if you miss taking the Flåm train?

If you're a train buff? Yes. If you're a civil engineering buff? Yes. Otherwise, maybe not.

Will you be sorry if you miss visiting Flåm in general?

The Sognefjord is one of the most famous fjords, and Nærøyfjord (the narrow branch that stretches to Gudvangen near Flåm) is one of the two UNESCO-listed fjords. If you're not visiting Geiranger (the other UNESCO-listed fjord), then you would probably miss out by not visiting Flåm. If you are visiting Geiranger, it's a question of how many of the iconic fjords you want to visit. If you want to see lots of fjords on your trip, then it's worth visiting. If you feel like you're getting enough fjord scenery from your other port calls, then I personally don't think Flåm is a must-visit.

I have to make a decision quickly. Do you think the QM2 is too large a ship to cruise on for a good coastal Norway/north cape experience? I'm looking at the June 14,2010 itinerary.....Southampton, Stavanger, Geiranger, Honningsvag, Tromsa, Olden, Bergen, Southampton. What's your opinion of the itinerary and ports?

First I must say that I ADORE QM2, so perhaps my opinion is a bit jaded. Given her size, her space ration of passengers is exceptional and there is never a feeling of being crowded.

We did a Norway fjord cruise with her last August and it was extraordinary....so much so that we are booked to do another slightly different one on her this year. We stopped at Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger....the trip thru Geirangerfjord is not to be missed. I know everyone hopes for bright blue skies and sun but I have to say that Geirangerfjord in the mist with the clouds kissing the middle of the mountains and cliffs while the tops of them reached for the sky had a mystical, magical feel that only made the surroundings more enticing to us. One feels truly insignificant navigating the twists and turns of the fjord, even on a ship the size of QM2. And the drive up the extraordinary serpentine road to the top of Mt Dalsnibba in Geiranger is fantastic.

Stavanger has always been a favorite place to me....the charming old town with its winding cobblestone streets and whitewashed wooden houses is just made for leisurely strolling and admiring the bountiful flowers everywhere. We spent half a day exploring the town by foot then took a delightful cruise up Lysefjord to Pulpit rock.Lysseford is one of those fjords whose beauty doesn't overwhelm from the start as Geirangerfjord does....rather it sneaks up on you and astounds with the variety of scenery that it offers. Cozy cottages and little farms cling to little patches of arable land and always the changing mountain scenery. We had a stop at themost amazing little "restaurant" for waffles, sour cream and strawberry jam...almost as good as the ones my Norwegian grandmother made for me when i'd spend childhood summers in Norway. I'd go back to Lysefjord in a heartbeat....it was tranquil and awe inspiring as well.

Bergen is another of my favorites and I am perfectly content to spend my day there around the harbor area soaking in the atmosphere. The fish market is marvelous fun with free samples offered throughout. I don't know if this is a regular thing or not but the day we were there we noticed loads of people heading for the market around 2:15 or so....we were then told that they were giving away the food that had been prepared for lunches. It was astounding...my husband followed the others and returned with a plate loaded with whalemeat, assorted shrimp, crab legs,several kinds of salmon, and other fish I didn't know. He had a grin on his face like Christmas....I believe that was the hi-light of his day there and it's tops on his list for this year.

Alesund is a lovely walking town and the views from Mt Aksla aren't to be missed back down to the harbor. We walked all over and then took a boat tour of Hjurundfjord, another exquisite jewel of a fjord with yet a different character to the scenery...I was in fjord heaven on this trip.

This August we will again repeat Hamburg, Bergen and Alesund then spedn the rest of the 2 weeks going to Trondheim, Tromsø, Honningavag, North Cape and the stop I am most looking forward to, the awesome Lofoten islands. While I'm sorry we'llnot do Geirangerfjord again. the rugged majesty of the Lofotens, with jagged mountains that erupt from the ocean floor and seem to cradle postcard fishing villages shoudl more than satisfy scenic cravings.

Norway is a jewel.....the scenery is mesmerizing and once experienced, will never be forgotten. As a Norwegian American it's a thrill for me to return to my roots. Qm2 makes it all the more special.

And thank you all for such wonderful experience sharing and tips...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember Queen Mary 2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

We are getting ready for a July 1-16, 2010 Norway Coast cruise that includes Flam and that rail ride. From everything I have heard, it is a wonderful and interesting stop. BUT, it is hard to nearly impossible to compare unless we knew and could see the full listing of all port stops for BOTH cruise options, if there are any differences in the cruise ship/line and dates, etc. Tell us more! Then, we could give some better reactions.

Thanks Terry,

Both cruises share Bergen, Geiranger, Tromso and Honningsvag.

Differences:

The Constellation visits Olden, Molde and Alesund (7 ports).

Crown Princess visits Hellesylt, Trondheim, Flaam and Stavanger (8 ports).

Each ship has perks for us, so differences are minor, but it's the itinerary that may decide. That's where I am at a loss and any help is appreciated.

CAforever,

If you choose the Connie come and join our roll call. Many of us have already planned our excursions and since we are less than 90 days the excitement builds. Either choice is a winner.

Don

Thanks Terry,

Both cruises share Bergen, Geiranger, Tromso and Honningsvag.

Differences:

The Constellation visits Olden, Molde and Alesund (7 ports).

Crown Princess visits Hellesylt, Trondheim, Flaam and Stavanger (8 ports).

Each ship has perks for us, so differences are minor, but it's the itinerary that may decide. That's where I am at a loss and any help is appreciated.

Hellesylt isn't really much of a port. It's usually just a tender call at one end of the Geirangerfjord to drop off or pick up passengers on overland excursions to/from Geiranger. Many cruises don't even allow passengers off the ship unless they're on such an excursion.

So really, you're comparing Olden, Molde, and Ålesund to Trondheim, Flåm, and Stavanger. In the first case, you're spending a lot more time in prime fjord country. A port call in Olden will give you the chance to visit the glacier, and Molde/Ålesund have more of the iconic west coast landscape. In the second case, you're calling at Trondheim and Stavanger, which are the 3rd & 4th largest cities in Norway. Neither is a big city, but they offer more in the way of culture and history. Stavanger also offers the chance to see the Lysefjord, which has a slightly different, rockier landscape from the fjord areas to the north. That paired with the call to Flåm (and thus a sail-in/sail-out through Sognefjord) means that you would still have the opportunity to see more fjords, but they're different fjord areas.

So in summary, the Constellation offers a lot more of the most famous Norwegian fjord area. If you want more time to explore this part of the country, I would go with this itinerary. The Crown Princess offers more variety with the extra cities and port calls in three different fjord areas. So if you want more of an overview of the whole of Norway, I would choose this one.

So in summary, the Constellation offers a lot more of the most famous Norwegian fjord area. If you want more time to explore this part of the country, I would go with this itinerary. The Crown Princess offers more variety with the extra cities and port calls in three different fjord areas. So if you want more of an overview of the whole of Norway, I would choose this one.

Meg really knows that Norway Coast and has outlined some key aspects on some of those stops. Our July 1-16 cruise will also stop at Bergen, Geiranger, Tromso and Honningsvag. You might also want to consider and focus on some key ship/port differences.

The Celebrity Constellation is a little older ship (2002), but it is getting a major renovation in April 2010. It holds 2,034 passengers. With this cruise you will have three sea days as it will be sailing in and out of Amsterdam, allowing more net port time.

The Crown Princess is a newer ship (2006), but it is much larger, holding over 3000 passenger. You will sail out of and back to Southampton in England. You have four sea days on this cruise and you will only have from 7 am to 2 pm in the key and attractive North jewel of Bergen.

Reactions to port time and ship size differences? Airports you would go in and out of, distance from the airport to the cruise ship port?

Master Tom, Your posts have certainly gotten our interest and we would like to get your advice. We will be in Bergen on June 22 from 8 am to 5 pm and prefer to avoid ships tours. Your suggestion to take the Fjord sightseeing boat sounds interesting but this would use a lot of time (10 - 2) of our relatively limited port day. Given our situation can you suggest the best use of our time?

Hank

Master Tom,

Do you happen to know of a car rental service that could take us from Bergen to Fantopf, stay awhile so we can explore the stave church, and then return to Bergen..

one that will not cost us $200 US???

I use a wheelchair, so cannot take the tour that our cruise line is offering (they're using a non-accessible bus). It appears to us that Fantopf is only about 5 k from Bergen...so the cost quoted seemed way too high. (I can get into a regular sedan type car, and my chair folds...just can't step up, or climb steps into a bus...

What do you think?

Hello "California Forever"

Glad to read that you are planning a trip to the Norwegian fjords! Let us know which cruise you choose and hopefully we'll see you on the Constellation in June.

Carol & Dave

Sorry guys, would have loved to cruise with you again and skunked other teams at trivia, but we are doing the Crown and traded this cruise in for the 14 day Baltics June 18 on the Eclipse. Why not consider that as well as Norway? email me: dixon dot pacbell dot net and let me know how your cruise went and what you liked the most about the ports as we'll be following in your footsteps. Have fun.

• 1 month later...
Alesund is a lovely walking town and the views from Mt Aksla aren't to be missed back down to the harbor. We walked all over and then took a boat tour of Hjurundfjord, another exquisite jewel of a fjord with yet a different character to the scenery...I was in fjord heaven on this trip.

We would like to know where to pick up this boat tour of Hjurundfjord. Could you please offer more information? Thank you.

We would like to know where to pick up this boat tour of Hjurundfjord. Could you please offer more information? Thank you.

Where do you book the Hjurundfjord boat tour? Do you recall how long it was and the cost? Is there a web site for the company that gives their schedule?

Where do you book the Hjurundfjord boat tour? Do you recall how long it was and the cost? Is there a web site for the company that gives their schedule?

Your spelling was off a little. Here's the site to reach them from the U.S.

http://hurtigruten.us/?country=US

Their U.S. office is: Hurtigruten, 5100 NW, 33rd Avenue, Suite 255, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

Booking & Information: 1-866-552-0371

There will be many cruisepassenger in Bergen that day :)

You will be in port with Adriana III, Costa Magica, Seabourn Sojourn & MSC Poesia.

You havent been to Bergen if you havent visited the Ulriken Cable car:

http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/

Ulriken re-opened in 2009 after they went broke in 2006

Been to the aquarium? They are opening a sharktunnel now in April and there is a lot of reptiles, snakes & fish from around the world and along the Norwegien coast, a little entertainment for kids and adults, facts about it all.

Got Fjord tours with the White Lady where they guide you into the narrow fjords where the cruiseships don't sail to

and a 50 min Harbour tour with the same boat.

http://www.whitelady.no/fjordengelsk.html

Is there any other way to get to the Ulriken cable car beside taking their bus? How long is the travel time from Bergen to the Ulriken cable car? How long does a round trip take on the cable car?

I am trying to plan the day before I arrive; time is very important.

First I must say that I ADORE QM2, so perhaps my opinion is a bit jaded. Given her size, her space ration of passengers is exceptional and there is never a feeling of being crowded.

We did a Norway fjord cruise with her last August and it was extraordinary....so much so that we are booked to do another slightly different one on her this year. We stopped at Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, Alesund and Geiranger....the trip thru Geirangerfjord is not to be missed. I know everyone hopes for bright blue skies and sun but I have to say that Geirangerfjord in the mist with the clouds kissing the middle of the mountains and cliffs while the tops of them reached for the sky had a mystical, magical feel that only made the surroundings more enticing to us. One feels truly insignificant navigating the twists and turns of the fjord, even on a ship the size of QM2. And the drive up the extraordinary serpentine road to the top of Mt Dalsnibba in Geiranger is fantastic.

Stavanger has always been a favorite place to me....the charming old town with its winding cobblestone streets and whitewashed wooden houses is just made for leisurely strolling and admiring the bountiful flowers everywhere. We spent half a day exploring the town by foot then took a delightful cruise up Lysefjord to Pulpit rock.Lysseford is one of those fjords whose beauty doesn't overwhelm from the start as Geirangerfjord does....rather it sneaks up on you and astounds with the variety of scenery that it offers. Cozy cottages and little farms cling to little patches of arable land and always the changing mountain scenery. We had a stop at themost amazing little "restaurant" for waffles, sour cream and strawberry jam...almost as good as the ones my Norwegian grandmother made for me when i'd spend childhood summers in Norway. I'd go back to Lysefjord in a heartbeat....it was tranquil and awe inspiring as well.

Bergen is another of my favorites and I am perfectly content to spend my day there around the harbor area soaking in the atmosphere. The fish market is marvelous fun with free samples offered throughout. I don't know if this is a regular thing or not but the day we were there we noticed loads of people heading for the market around 2:15 or so....we were then told that they were giving away the food that had been prepared for lunches. It was astounding...my husband followed the others and returned with a plate loaded with whalemeat, assorted shrimp, crab legs,several kinds of salmon, and other fish I didn't know. He had a grin on his face like Christmas....I believe that was the hi-light of his day there and it's tops on his list for this year.

This August we will again repeat Hamburg, Bergen and Alesund then spedn the rest of the 2 weeks going to Trondheim, Tromsø, Honningavag, North Cape and the stop I am most looking forward to, the awesome Lofoten islands. While I'm sorry we'llnot do Geirangerfjord again. the rugged majesty of the Lofotens, with jagged mountains that erupt from the ocean floor and seem to cradle postcard fishing villages shoudl more than satisfy scenic cravings.

Norway is a jewel.....the scenery is mesmerizing and once experienced, will never be forgotten. As a Norwegian American it's a thrill for me to return to my roots. Qm2 makes it all the more special.

And thank you all for such wonderful experience sharing and tips...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember Queen Mary 2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

One of these days our paths are going to cross on this great ship. We were disembarking on Dec. 9, 2008 as you were boarding.

We're still somewhat sad that we caneled our June QM2 Norway cruise. The more extensive itinerary of the Prinsendam was our deciding factor.

We sail QM2 Nov. 27, 2010. Will you perhaps be on that sailing?

Archived