Sorry, another velvet question.

leagle

I am crossing the Atlantic westbound in August on the QM2. It is my first time on a ship with more than 16 passengers.

I have a couple of silk velvet jackets, one in cerise and one in a sort of medium brownish-grey. They are very light weight and fit more like crepe than velvet. I also have a patterned silk velvet jacket that hangs loose like a carigan.

I would certainly wear one of them with confidence (and a skirt) to a black tie dinner in London in August and I had thought one or the other would be acceptable with a long black crepe skirt for a formal night, but the kerfuffle about velvet outside of winter is starting to concern me.

I know that lots of the QM2 passengers are American and that American fashion traditions are a bit different.

I am travelling solo and would prefer not to face giggles in the dinning room.

Will I?

There's a deep line in the sand on this one. Only you can decide on which side you stand.;)

Exactly!

You've said that you've already read all the threads about velvet. What makes you feel that people's opinions are going to change now - a few weeks later?

If you want opinions, here's mine....

No, velvet is not an appropriate fabric for August.

Trust me, you'll have plenty of people who will disagree. I guess you just have to get to "know" the people here, by their posts, to see who you feel is most intune with your way of thinking. Or ignore all - that's an option too. :D

As far as people giggiling at you, I think that's a stretch. Anyone that would giggle at you for that choice is probably someone you don't want to know anyway.

If I saw someone on a cruise in August wearing velvet, I wouldn't giggle.

Honestly, in my mind, I would think that they weren't very fashionable or style savvy. However, I wouldn't laugh at them, nor would I shun them. The person could end up being a new wonderful friend who's company I enjoy very much. I'd never stay away from a person who's well dressed - or looks like they tried - because they aren't a fashionista.

I've got a few friends who are "fashion challenged" that I adore. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Jane,

The threads I have read have been concerning the Carribean, not travelling through the North Atlantic.

The reason I would wear light silk velvet in London in August is that, on the whole, it is not very warm here in August. Neither, I understand, is it particularly warm in the North Atlantic, even in August.

I certainly would not wear velvet, not even silk velvet, in New York in August because it is too bloody hot and sticky there in the summer.

But you are right, it was a silly question to ask

IME, what is fashionable is more local than people in major international cities may always appreciate. What looks expensively fashionable in Italy can look tacky and "footballers' wives" in London. What looks elegant and original in London may simply look sloppy &/or eccentric in New York. What looks elegant in New York may look stiff and over-groomed in London.

You can't be fashionable and/or stylish to all people everywhere.

But what do I know? I always thought "formal" in the evening meant "white tie" i.e. white tie and tails for men and that "semi-formal" meant "black tie" i.e. black tie and a dinner jacket with women's dress adjusted accordingly.

You are right, as long as I comply with the dress code, the metaphorical giggles I was concerned about shouldn't be a cause for concern. If anything, a bit of London eccentricity might be a useful filter.

Thank you to all those who tried to help the un-helpable.

I am crossing the Atlantic westbound in August on the QM2. It is my first time on a ship with more than 16 passengers.

I have a couple of silk velvet jackets, one in cerise and one in a sort of medium brownish-grey. They are very light weight and fit more like crepe than velvet. I also have a patterned silk velvet jacket that hangs loose like a carigan.

I would certainly wear one of them with confidence (and a skirt) to a black tie dinner in London in August and I had thought one or the other would be acceptable with a long black crepe skirt for a formal night, but the kerfuffle about velvet outside of winter is starting to concern me.

I know that lots of the QM2 passengers are American and that American fashion traditions are a bit different.

I am travelling solo and would prefer not to face giggles in the dinning room.

Will I?

PERSONALLY and I know I'm sticking my head out to be ripped off but I would be less likely to laugh at a pretty velvet jacket in August in the dinning room than Jeans. Besides I need a sweat jacket on the cruises even in ...yes...August because we do not use our airconditioning at home so I simply am not use to it and find it unbearable. I would not be giggling ...borrowing possably but not giggling!

If you like it, by all means wear it! If the fashion police want to issue you a citation let them. I'll be enjoying my cruise while they patrol for fashion violations. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise!! Smile it go's with everything!!

It gets rather tiresome(sigh), when people bring up the term fashion police on this board when ladies, and sometimes men, come to this board asking for advice on what to wear.

When someone explains why something is inappropriate from a fashion standpoint, or when they post what is accepted by a particular cruise line, people take it as policing. If a poster didn't care what others would think of their outfit, they wouldn't come here to ask. If they didn't care about dress guidelines on a cruise line, they wouldn't come here to ask. People are asking for opinions and that's what they get even though there is not always an agreement;)...... but it is hardly policing.

I've never seen anyone on this board say they would be laughing or making fun of anyone about what someone may choose to wear. I have seen posts by a man who actually admitted to watching, making fun of and laughing about people's clothes on another board.:( I highly doubt anyone on this board spends anytime actually looking for so called "violations".:)

Rhetorical question: Why is it ok to tell someone to wear something but not ok to tell them not to wear it?:D

You are right, as long as I comply with the dress code, the metaphorical giggles I was concerned about shouldn't be a cause for concern. If anything, a bit of London eccentricity might be a useful filter.

No one can pull off eccentricity better than the Brits! :D

Very useful tool on a cruise ship!

Enjoy it!

it gets rather tiresome(sigh), when people bring up the term fashion police on this board when ladies, and sometimes men, come to this board asking for advice on what to wear.

When someone explains why something is inappropriate from a fashion standpoint, or when they post what is accepted by a particular cruise line, people take it as policing. If a poster didn't care what others would think of their outfit, they wouldn't come here to ask. If they didn't care about dress guidelines on a cruise line, they wouldn't come here to ask. People are asking for opinions and that's what they get even though there is not always an agreement;)...... But it is hardly policing.

I've never seen anyone on this board say they would be laughing or making fun of anyone about what someone may choose to wear. I have seen posts by a man who actually admitted to watching, making fun of and laughing about people's clothes on another board.:( i highly doubt anyone on this board spends anytime actually looking for so called "violations".:)

thank you!!!

If you like it, by all means wear it! If the fashion police want to issue you a citation let them. I'll be enjoying my cruise while they patrol for fashion violations. :eek:

Enjoy your cruise!! Smile it go's with everything!!

So, when people come to this board and ask for opinions, we should just.......lie?

Clearly the poster was asking for opinions and wanted viewpoints. I don't think it's very helpful when someone comes here with a genuine question to just answer by saying "Oh, wear whatever you want......"

LOL, now this thread is making me laugh!

Lets think about this logically for a minute... If everytime someone came to this board and asked for an opinion on a certain dress, fabric or whatever and always got the answer.... "Wear whatever you like", it would only be a matter of time before the questions stopped being asked. Why ask a question if you are noting going to get an answer?

There have been times I asked a question and did not like the answer, or at least the answer I had hoped for. But certinaly my answers were much better than the "wear whatever you like." that I generally pass over.

Still this thread did a have a twist to it. This question was about wearing velvet with another more lightweight material.. I dont hink I have seen a question on a velvet seperate before, so was interesting to see what everyone though.

It gets rather tiresome (sigh) when people bring up the term fashion police on this board when ladies, and sometimes men, come to this board asking for advice on what to wear.

If a poster didn't care what others would think of their outfit, they wouldn't come here to ask.

Rhetorical question: Why is it ok to tell someone to wear something but not ok to tell them not to wear it?:D

Another thank you!!! ;)

Smooth dancer, you got it. The question invoved: light drapey silk velvet in not-black, jackets, and a transatlantic crossing, all of which I hadn't seen dealt with before.

However, the mixed answers mirrored the results when the question was asked about velvet dresses in the Carribean, so from one point of view the question was redundant.

However, I am grateful to all of you. The very split brings home to me that, in the words of Rick Nelson: "... it's all right now, I learned my lesson well. You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself" (within the dress code, of course)

And Jane, in the end we may or may not disagree about fashion and style, but I certainly share you views about designer knock-offs.

And Toxicfairy, I share your dislike of fridge temperature air-con and I agree that "formal jeans" may be an oxymoran. I think "formal" coveys a certain measure of tradition and is not the same as "dressy", which jeans with heels and a dressy top can be, esp. on the young and slim.

And still again, thank you all for taking the time to help me.

Smooth dancer, you got it. The question invoved: light drapey silk velvet in not-black, jackets, and a transatlantic crossing, all of which I hadn't seen dealt with before.

However, the mixed answers mirrored the results when the question was asked about velvet dresses in the Carribean, so from one point of view the question was redundant.

However, I am grateful to all of you. The very split brings home to me that, in the words of Rick Nelson: "... it's all right now, I learned my lesson well. You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself" (within the dress code, of course)

And Jane, in the end we may or may not disagree about fashion and style, but I certainly share you views about designer knock-offs.

And Toxicfairy, I share your dislike of fridge temperature air-con and I agree that "formal jeans" may be an oxymoran. I think "formal" coveys a certain measure of tradition and is not the same as "dressy", which jeans with heels and a dressy top can be, esp. on the young and slim.

And still again, thank you all for taking the time to help me.

I absalutely LOVE that response! You are right on with the jeans. When you pair them with a dressy top and a pair of heels that is just what they become, dressy. I do not even think a 100.00 pair of jeans could be made "formal" but I will have to remember that response. "Dressy" is the perfect answer when asked about jeans in the Dinning room!:)

I absalutely LOVE that response! You are right on with the jeans. When you pair them with a dressy top and a pair of heels that is just what they become, dressy. I do not even think a 100.00 pair of jeans could be made "formal" but I will have to remember that response. "Dressy" is the perfect answer when asked about jeans in the Dinning room!:)

I don't recall anyone ever asking about "formal" jeans.;)

The question is always, "can I wear dressy jeans in the main dining room?" and the poster goes on to add that they'll be wearing just what you said....a dressy top and a pair of heels with the jeans.:)

LOL, how did jeans get into our velvet question!!

Alright I am way off topic here, but this Cunard question is so me!!

leagle so exciting for you to go on Cunard for the first time on a TA, you are going to love it!!

Our first TA I boarded the ship in NYC in this incredible pre cruise outfit.. A navy pant suit, the jacket was 3 quarter length, a wonderful gold cami under the coat... Wonderful patent pumps.... In line I felt so wonderful, so beautiful, kind of a throw back to times past... No I am not boarding in jeans and sneakers an OK the 3" heels with narrow toes hurt a bit, but so be it....

The difference between Cunard and the other lines is subtle.... No, the dinner service is no better, a pool is a pool but here it ends.... Come 6:00 PM the line requests all guests not to enter a public area unless dressed formal.... All of the passangers want this so jeans is a non issue...

Ladies will either wear full length A-line or many in full ballgowns (me).... The gents, a whole different story... This is the only line that husband packs his tails and will yes wear white on white..... I love getting ready for nightime and in the cabin doing his white tie for him.... I would say maybe 35% are in tails, the rest in a tux, white on black.... OHH, walking the public areas arm in arm with tails is heaven!!

Do after dinner go to the Queens Room... Sure we are ballroom dancers but even the non dancer love this room.... Then I go to sleep with a smile on my face.. I cannot figure it ever gets better than this....

Enjoy your first TA on Cunard.... LOL, dont worry about it....wear the velvet if you are so inclined!!!

One thing I have found on Cunard is the air conditioning can be cold in the evening so a Velvet Jacket sounds like a great idea to me on a Transatlantic Crossing.

And sorry to offend the style police but I will be wearing a Burgundy Velvet Dress during my Baltic Cruise on the Queen Victoria in August! I love it, it feels great on and I don't care what others think :D

I have a question? Where can I get a copy of the Fashion Rules? People are so adamant about what is considered correct that I'm sure there must be an actual written set of rules. Are these the same rules that insisted that I wear a hat to church and white gloves to anything "proper". Or is there an updated set of rules, and if so who wrote them?

Do you see my point?

I have a question? Where can I get a copy of the Fashion Rules? People are so adamant about what is considered correct that I'm sure there must be an actual written set of rules. Are these the same rules that insisted that I wear a hat to church and white gloves to anything "proper". Or is there an updated set of rules, and if so who wrote them?

Do you see my point?

Emily Post: Rules of Etiquette

http://www.bartleby.com/95/1.html

Chapter #33

Judith Martin, aka, Miss Manners probably has some updated ones.:D

Emily Post: Rules of Etiquette

http://www.bartleby.com/95/1.html

Chapter #33

Judith Martin, aka, Miss Manners probably has some updated ones.:D

You've got to be kidding.....they were written in 1922! ....women weren't to be seen in trousers; without a hat in public.....and many many more restrictions, which seem just ridiculous today. Are these actually the rules of the "Fashion Police"?

You've got to be kidding.....they were written in 1922! ....women weren't to be seen in trousers; without a hat in public.....and many many more restrictions, which seem just ridiculous today. Are these actually the rules of the "Fashion Police"?

All you asked was to see written rules and yes, I'm kidding.

Please get over the fashion police thing. No one is saying anyone absolutely HAS to wear anything or absolutely CANNOT wear something. People come here asking for advice and that's what they're giving....advice. And even at that, most will say it may not be something they do but anyone is welcome to do as they please or see fit.

Archived