Medical-ish cold weather question

PerfectlyPerth

Hi. Long time browser here via Trip Advisor. Have posted this query over on TA Antarctica forum too but as there are a lot more regulars here who have done the great south I thought I would try here too.

In the decades since I lived in a ski resort (probably the last time I experienced true cold weather) I now have titanium screws in me and wear a contact lens. Neither of which have experienced cold weather LOL.

Questions for anyone with similar who has been to Antarctica.

Does the cold and wind affect a contact lens ? I cant wear glasses as they cause migraines, and I cant not wear the lens as its reducing the migraines ! Catch 22. Will good wraparound sun glasses stop any potential drying out etc ?

And - to those who might have titanium bits (screws etc) in them - does extreme cold effect them in any way ?

Mine are in my jaw and the first winter I had them was probably the coolest winter Perth has had in recent years (a couple of 0°C mornings) and I noticed the metal really got hit by the cold and it spread thru my jaw.

As we havent really had a cool winter since then I really wasnt sure if it would be a regular thing or whether it might have just been because they were brand new and the jaw was still adjusting.

Thanks in advance :)

PS - there are some seriously brilliant blogs and trip accounts on this board and I have really appreciated the effort put into posting them and sharing them here :)

I used to wear contact lenses while skiing all the time. Extreme cold was not necessarily an issue. In ski areas it was more the dryness of the air. When out and about in Antarctica, if it is snowy and blowy, wear ski goggles. It will protect the eyes more.

Titanium, I have no experience with, but I am assuming that if the titanium is inside of you, it should stay at a nice 98.6 unless you cool down to less than that. =)

Have a friend whose husband is a titanium expert (PHD), will see what he has to say. Pat

Thanks pacmom !!!! Appreciate any feedback on the topic. My theory is that most who do this kind of trip are over 40 and therefore there is a high chance of a fair few having some metal bits in them !!!!!

I am inclined to think that it occurred with me simply because the surgery was only a few weeks old and the bone wasnt yet use to the screws. But as I havent yet experienced another cold winter it has left me curious. At the end of the day I can just pack double the supply of pain meds "just in case" but I am doing a 27 day cruise so my "just in case" pile is growing!!!!

According to a friend with 2 titanium knees--never felt real cold. Maybe you could tape one of those handwarmers to that part of your face--they last for 10 hours. Good luck. Pat

hahahahahahahaha:D:D:D thats a brilliant suggestion!!!!!! And I shall be giggling over it all night !!

• 3 weeks later...

I wear contact lenses and I had titanium screws in my ankle (had an accident 4 months before going to Antarctica). The contact lenses worked out fine - I wore sunglasses over them while on excursion. It was a little dry there, but no problems with wind or irritation.

The titanium caused no problems, even in the cold. I wore thick socks and muckboots. Flying to South America was my first flight after the surgery - the titanium is inert and does not set off the medical detectors in the airport.

Archived