Deep Tissue Massage

zurmoly

Oh sorry – you wanted to know how it was? I think a good deep tissue massage depends on the therapist and whether or not you’re ready for a deep tissue massage. I’ve had some therapists ride my back on their elbows and it’s been great. I’ve had some who’s idea of “deep” is a little lacking. It seems that over the last couple of years, Steiner’s version of an at sea deep tissue massage isn’t that deep – probably because these people coming on these ships don’t really have much spa experience. So I just ask for more.

I do know that the best deep tissue I had was from a little 4’8” woman from New Zealand. She had very strong hands and was good with her elbows…

Definitely – they will certainly increase or decrease pressure as you’re inclined. I like it very deep – and the woman I mentioned would lean into the knots in my back with her elbow with all her weight…it was really good!

If you hurt (sore muscles) deep tissue may make you hurt more. They tend to zero in on any "knots" you may have and it hurts. I have upper back and neck problems but find a deep followed by hot tub will work wonders for me.

If you hurt (sore muscles) deep tissue may make you hurt more. They tend to zero in on any "knots" you may have and it hurts. I have upper back and neck problems but find a deep followed by hot tub will work wonders for me.

It’s interesting the therapists always say “you’re gonna hate me, you’ll be sore tomorrow” and I never am either. I’ve got some knots in my neck and shoulders that bring about gasps of horror. They have to push on me pretty hard to make me sore.

One thing I have learned – a good deal of water after a massage helps to keep any soreness away. There really is a break up of toxins during a massage and flushing those out helps to keep the muscles from getting sore.

2 hour shower :eek: …was he prune-y when he got out?

2 hour shower :eek: …was he prune-y when he got out?

Yep, he was prune-y! But also happy as a clam. :D I think that's the day he decided cruising was a good thing, I don't think I've ever seem him that relaxed.

I guess this thread would be appropriate to ask my question then... :)

We're going on our first cruise in Mar. on the SUN.

I was thinking of suprising my wife with a few hours at the SPA. Not sure exactly what they offer and would anyone would recommend.

She doesn't go to SPA's at home.... just nevered got around to it.

I think it would be a nice suprise and an added way to relax for her.

Anyone care to comments on if this would be a good idea...bad idea, not worth it, and if it is worth is, then what would you recommend?

TIA!

It’s interesting the therapists always say “you’re gonna hate me, you’ll be sore tomorrow” and I never am either.

I am always sore after a deep tissue massage. I do love the Swedish ones. The stone massage is the strangest thing I have experienced and are not my favorite.

I am always sore after a deep tissue massage. I do love the Swedish ones. The stone massage is the strangest thing I have experienced and are not my favorite.

Funny – I’ve never done a Swedish! I do like the stone massages, although I was burned on the back of the knee by a too hot stone once.

Then there are the really involved treatments – like the Lime and Ginger Salt Scrub followed by a full body massage. Sniff…I’m getting kind of teary-eyed.

like the Lime and Ginger Salt Scrub followed by a full body massage.

A stimulating journey that begins with an Exotic Lime and Ginger Salt Scrub body

from

http://www.lilianfels.com.au/web/okat/okat_c5c3_packages.jsp

Royal Thai, a five-hour ceremony which consists of a lime-and-ginger salt scrub followed by a coconut-flake rub

from

http://www.cntraveller.com/Special_Features/Urban_Day_Spas/Green_Street_House/

One of the therapists on the Caribbean Princess suggested the following massage. I have tight muscles and spasms in my upper back and neck. It was wonderful!!!!!

PS: I am far from physically active!!

Thermal Fitness 50/80 minutes

Designed for the physically active, this pre- or post-exercise massage uses a

warm, self-heating sea mud that triggers reflex points throughout the body as

its thermal energy builds. Improves range of motion and increases oxygenation

to muscle tissue, with an emphasis on stretching and resistance work.

As a massage therapist who did study deep tissue..REAL deep tissue..I have to laugh at what spas charge and tell you what deep tissue is..they sell it as "deeper pressure" so you get to pay more for it..I worked at a spa where it was $20 more for the hour. Hilarious!

Deep tissue is a misnomer..because deep tissue work is actually releasing of the fascia layer from your muscle (ya know that white stuff on top of a chicken breast before you cook it? That's fascia..or muscle fibers..) actually alot of deep tissue is more gentle stretching/friction of these muscle fiber layers than it is in applying deep PRESSURE on you..this is two different things..

So..before you are suckered into paying more for a "deep tissue" experience(and if any of you really experience a true deep tissue experience and expect lots of hard pressure) you would be very disappointed in what you get.

Just pay for the swedish massage or whatever the basic massage is and tell your therapist that you like firm pressure..you can then instruct them during the massage..can you work with more pressure there or too much pressure..definitely give the MT feedback if you do not have enough pressure or too much..we do listen.

Now..the only caveat to that is each MT will be different..I have had massages from really tiny women who can go really firm on the pressure whereas other smaller MT's could not go too firm.. Then I have had male MT's who just by their sheer strength were firm and nothing else..I prefer medium pressure..

So..you can go ahead and pay for some "firmer pressure" that they call "deep tissue" or just have the swedish and ask the therapist to adjust his/her pressure in spots you need it. You hopefully always start off the massage with the therapist asking what areas need extra attention, where you are more sensitive, etc..so we know where to work more or less...you don't have to pay me $20-40 more just to have me lean on you a little more than usual! :-)

RC51: I'd vote for you to book a massage of some sort rather than a facial. I think you get better relaxation with the massage than the facial. Also, as a person who gets facials at home, I would not go to someone else and use other products. My skin is very sensitive and I would be soooo worried that I would have a reaction to something that was used in the facial. I surprised my hubby with a massage on our last cruise and he was so pleased :)

Archived