internet in rooms

Animal 57

Oops, I just realized the price was on the website provided above. I see it is $100 for 250 minutes. This is great because a trick I learned while in the Domincan Republic recently was that if you have a magic jack, you can call back to the U.S.A., without incuring any international fees. The trick is to have a internet connection and $0.40 per minute sounds a lot better then the roaming cell phone charges.

This is great to hear. How much was the fee to use WiFi? Was there a daily rate or was it by the hour?

$3.95 activation fee

$0.75 per minute -OR-

$55 for 100 minutes -OR-

$100 for 250 minutes.

There is a 20 minute bonus credit if you sign up on day one. And there is a time returned credit on one of the days during the cruise (go on-line XX minutes and get XX minutes credited to your account.)

From the lousy connect rates, I found it would take me 10 minutes to check my gmail. My GF couldn't even access her AOL account on one day. There's limited bandwidth and the more people using it the slower your connection rate.

On disembarkation day, I was able to read the newspaper on-line waiting for our zone to be called. Obviously, no one else was using their computers.

$3.95 activation fee

$0.75 per minute -OR-

$55 for 100 minutes -OR-

$100 for 250 minutes.

There is a 20 minute bonus credit if you sign up on day one. And there is a time returned credit on one of the days during the cruise (go on-line XX minutes and get XX minutes credited to your account.)

From the lousy connect rates, I found it would take me 10 minutes to check my gmail. My GF couldn't even access her AOL account on one day. There's limited bandwidth and the more people using it the slower your connection rate.

On disembarkation day, I was able to read the newspaper on-line waiting for our zone to be called. Obviously, no one else was using their computers.

Those are the only packages? Nothing smaller?

Did it literally take you 10 minutes just to check your e-mail? yowza. :(

Those are the only packages? Nothing smaller?

Did it literally take you 10 minutes just to check your e-mail? yowza. :(

Sometimes you can't even get on. I don't know how many simultaneous users the ship can handle, but when that number is reached, forget it. I had gmail time out on me, which I've never seen before, and it's all text, no graphics.

It's definitely as bad, if not worse, than dial up. At least in the portion of the ship I was on. If your room happens to be next to the wifi router antenna, you'll probably have better results.

Suggestion/trick: We would take our own laptop and log onto the internet, check the e-mail and copy and paste the e-mails into a word document. Then we would log OFF the internet and go into our word documents. We would be able to slowly read, type and reply back. Once we typed something, we would copy it, log back ON the internet and send the reply. This saved LOTS of minutes because we weren't wasting minutes by typing. We only used minutes logging on, checking e-mail and logging off. It worked GREAT!!

Suggestion/trick: We would take our own laptop and log onto the internet, check the e-mail and copy and paste the e-mails into a word document. Then we would log OFF the internet and go into our word documents. We would be able to slowly read, type and reply back. Once we typed something, we would copy it, log back ON the internet and send the reply. This saved LOTS of minutes because we weren't wasting minutes by typing. We only used minutes logging on, checking e-mail and logging off. It worked GREAT!!

Better yet, get an email client like Thunderbird that will download any new emails right off the mail server.

Log off, use the mail program to compose responses. Then log on and send them.

I was on the Glory last week and they now have bow-to-stern WiFi. I had an aft wrap cabin and could sit out on the lounger on the balcony while facing the wake, using the WiFi via my smartphone (Palm Pre). It worked well, although usually I was on it late at night when I assume a lot of ppl were already sleeping. I used my phone's built-in e-mail app, Web browser, and other apps that use the Internet without a problem. I bought the $100 package for the eight-day/seven-night cruise and had less than ten minutes left at the end of the cruise, so it worked well for me.

Archived