REVIEW: Carnival Victry 2/7/10 -2/14/10 Southern Caribbean

Dirkgun

• 5 weeks later...

Really LOVED your review. Very imformative. We leave on this cruise in September.

I really want to buy that camera you used. It is still about 230.00 on Amazon. Hopeing to see it come down a bit before we leave.

Now, where are all your food pictures...LOL I hear the Victory does not have escargot anymore : (

Really LOVED your review. Very imformative. We leave on this cruise in September.

I really want to buy that camera you used. It is still about 230.00 on Amazon. Hopeing to see it come down a bit before we leave.

Now, where are all your food pictures...LOL I hear the Victory does not have escargot anymore : (

Yeah I was hoping the D10 would come down a bit more when the new D20 comes out.... I heard there was a time on Amazom that they were selling it for about 199 I just bought a Fuji XP50 for my wife and it is pretty good also I will try to post a few pictures from each. I will also look for some more food pics. They did have Escargot when we went. I had not heard that they removed it. I know they don't offer Shrimp cocktails every night as before.... Oh well you're still on a cruise. :D:cool::D

Here are a couple of pics from my camera (the Canon D10) then below my wifes Fuji XP50 on a trip to the Bahamas this last March (2012 for our 25th wedding anniversary)

DSCF7228.jpg

DSCF7011.jpg

DSCF6730.jpg

Fuji XP50 pics

DSCF0222.jpg

Pic of a conch shell at Half Moon Cay with the Fuji XP50

DSCF0215.jpg

Pic of a Conch salad and a Conch Fritter... very good.

DSCF0043.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the picture of the narrow part of St Kitts... looking out on both the Atlantic Ocean on the left and the Caribbean Sea on the right. With Shipwreck beach in the distance on the right. Just in case you did not get my email.

100_5428.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
As a preface… this is going to be my first review of a cruise or really of anything for that matter. So bear with me as I tell you about the Awesome experience we had on the Carnival Victory 2/7/2010 – 2/14/2010 (yes a Super Bowl cruise).

Pre-cruise Day 1 – 2/5/10 leaving Salt Lake City went smooth. We (my wife and I, our two kids DD 19 and DS 17) were meeting up in Miami with my parents (who have never been on a cruise before) their flight was from Las Vegas direct to Miami… ours was with one other stop in Dallas Fort Worth, then on to San Juan Puerto Rico.

We get to Dallas very uneventful , got off, changed planes, getting ready for take-off….. this is when it starts to go down the toilet so to speak. Take-off time has passed without us moving away from the terminal… not to worry, they will make up time in the air? Then we get an announcement that they are having some sort of difficulty with the toilet in the first class section of the plane… They were waiting on some kind of equipment so to be patient, they said. Two hours later and we were watching at least 6 maintenance workers stand around scratching their collective heads wondering how to fix it??? Come to find out some Genius had flushed a diaper down the toilet and they could not move it to drain the system. Now all this would not be so funny if not for my immaculate planning of our flights… I was not going to fly into any airports that have the ability to be delayed with winter snow storms etc…. only to be foiled by a Diaper?!?!?! They finally got us out of there, but right after we got off the ground is when our scheduled connection flight with my parents in Miami was scheduled to leave, oh well I guess we will all get there just not together. As it turns out though they had delays at Miami airport with the American Airlines flights coming in also so we ran through the airport and made the plane as the last ones on board “whew”. We got into Puerto Rico together .. but of course our luggage did not make the same run we did so it did not make it. They did deliver it to our hotel that night though so it worked out. We got a screaming deal of $85 a night through price line for El Caribe Hilton, man what a great place to stay. We had a nice walk around their immaculate grounds and a good meal at the hotel, then went to sleep ready for a new day in San Juan.

DSCF6516.jpg

Pre-Cruise Day 2 – Old San Juan. We got up and leisurely got ready, then did some exploring of the hotel grounds during the daylight…. Still as impressed with the property. After we enjoyed the views and beach a little we caught a cab into Old San Juan. The cab dropped us off at the San Cristobal fort. We walked around it and thoroughly enjoyed all of it. It is so cool just to see the structures and imagine the life the people from this era lived. There are magnificent views of the coast line and easy to see why it made a great fortification place.

CopyofCopyofIMG_0282.jpg

CopyofCopyofIMG_0279.jpg

DSCF6553.jpg

CopyofIMG_0232.jpg

CopyofIMG_0178.jpg

I am doiing this cruise (YAY Finally) in Feb of 2013 can you tell me how to get cheaper rates for hotels through the price line site?

I am doiing this cruise (YAY Finally) in Feb of 2013 can you tell me how to get cheaper rates for hotels through the price line site?

Congratulations... you will love it. We are also getting to do it again. We are going this December. As far as priceline goes you can go to their site or it really helps to go to the better bidding site (google it) they give some advice on how to do it. Enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...
my favorite picture by far!

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and review :D

Thanks I like it also..... i sent it in to my credit union and have it as my back drop on my credit card.

Edited by Dirkgun

• 1 month later...
Tonight is also the first "Cruise Elegant" night so after sail away we went and got a little rest since we have the late dinner seating. Then we got up and got ready for dinner.

Myself and DM

IMG_0298.jpg

DF and DM

IMG_0299.jpg

DW and DD

IMG_0296.jpg

DW and DS

IMG_0297.jpg

another perfect day on the Victory... we had the best weather the entire cruise.

100_5450.jpg

Wow, this sunset pic is one of THE best pics I have seen on CC, great job! Your review is making me definitely consider a cruise out of PR! Love the Dominican excursion!

Happy Sailing,

Wow, this sunset pic is one of THE best pics I have seen on CC, great job! Your review is making me definitely consider a cruise out of PR! Love the Dominican excursion!

Happy Sailing,

Thanks for the kind words.... Yes sailing out of San Juan is awesome, in fact we are doing this same itinerary in December :D:D Only they have stopped going to Dominica now and added a sea day. I did enjoy Dominica... A few people don't because they are not as developed commercially.... but that is why I like it. One of the most beautiful lush Islands I have been to. I will definitely try to write another review after next months christmas cruise/cation. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Very much enjoyed your review. We are doing this itinerary next September on the Valor. Loved your pics and reviews of the port. I'm hitting the Victory reviews for the ports and the Valor reviews for the ship. Should get me thoroughly excited.:p

Very much enjoyed your review. We are doing this itinerary next September on the Valor. Loved your pics and reviews of the port. I'm hitting the Victory reviews for the ports and the Valor reviews for the ship. Should get me thoroughly excited.:p

Thanks for the nice comments. You will love the Itinerary.... and the Valor (we have been on the Valor) in fact we liked the Valor for the ship and the Southern Caribbean for the Itinerary. San Juan is a great place to sail out of... in fact we leave for this version in less than 4 days :eek::D:D Have a great time when you go.

I also have a Valor review linked in my signature. It is not the same itinerary but it does show the ship some...I did enjoy the layout of the valor better, not that I don't like the Victory but the valor offers more room and is newer. I do however much prefer the southern route out of San Juan over the western out of Miami. :D:D

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the nice comments. You will love the Itinerary.... and the Valor (we have been on the Valor) in fact we liked the Valor for the ship and the Southern Caribbean for the Itinerary. San Juan is a great place to sail out of... in fact we leave for this version in less than 4 days :eek::D:D Have a great time when you go.

Loved reading your review. We're sailing on the valor out of san juan in March. Hope your last cruise went well. Any chance of another review??

Loved reading your review. We're sailing on the valor out of san juan in March. Hope your last cruise went well. Any chance of another review??

Thank you... Yes our cruise and vacation went great.... I am currently in the process of uploading pictures and then writing the review. Real life has kind of been hectic since we got back. It will come soon.

• 1 year later...
I am planning to write a review and I wonder which photo site did you use? I hope you are still able to see this thread...:confused:

Yes I used Photo bucket to upload and store as well as link my Pictures.

• 6 months later...

I just went through and reread your review again today since I'm in a lazy mood but I'll be very busy for the next couple of weeks so I'll be making up for this. I just love this review and it IS the one that I read several years ago that had my mind made up to do the southern itinerary out of San Juan on our next cruise, which ended up being on Valor instead and turned out to be one of our all time favorite cruises. I really enjoyed reading again.

Your Valor cruise is coming up very soon, I hope you all have a great time and I'm hoping that you do another review of your Valor cruise. :) We're kicking around possibly going again in the fall, same itinerary but on Liberty. DH started a new job last July so we won't be able to vacation until September or later. I just wish they'd add Dominica back into the itinerary.

Again, I hope you all have a great time on Valor and also hope you have great weather.

I just went through and reread your review again today since I'm in a lazy mood but I'll be very busy for the next couple of weeks so I'll be making up for this. I just love this review and it IS the one that I read several years ago that had my mind made up to do the southern itinerary out of San Juan on our next cruise, which ended up being on Valor instead and turned out to be one of our all time favorite cruises. I really enjoyed reading again.

Your Valor cruise is coming up very soon, I hope you all have a great time and I'm hoping that you do another review of your Valor cruise. :) We're kicking around possibly going again in the fall, same itinerary but on Liberty. DH started a new job last July so we won't be able to vacation until September or later. I just wish they'd add Dominica back into the itinerary.

Again, I hope you all have a great time on Valor and also hope you have great weather.

Hi Pghsteelerfan, Thank you for the nice comments. Yes we are getting excited to go. We leave for the trip in 10 days (14 until on the ship) so it is almost here. Yes I am planning on doing a review again. It is funny because I have also reread your awesome review. I hope you do get to go on the Liberty. I know that is the reason I can have to do this cruise again..lol. I want to try a ship with the 2.0 upgrades :D If they do add Dominica back in then definitely we will do it again. Dominica is a great port IMHO, not overly developed but very beautiful and lush.

Hi, I have a question about public transportation to PR beaches. PR will be a port that the Valor makes a stop during my March 27th cruise. Can I take a bus from the pier to any of the beaches such as Condado Beach, and is the bus stop near terminal. My goal is to do a couple of hours at the beach then have a nice meal somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Hi, I have a question about public transportation to PR beaches. PR will be a port that the Valor makes a stop during my March 27th cruise. Can I take a bus from the pier to any of the beaches such as Condado Beach, and is the bus stop near terminal. My goal is to do a couple of hours at the beach then have a nice meal somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Yes. if you get off the ship and look across the street and to the left the building in front of you is the main bus terminal... where all the buses turn around. You can catch the bus there. They will help you with catching the right bus (there are multiple routes that will go there) There is a nice little beach by the Condado plaza hotel (very calm water) the Condado beach is on the other side (east) of the plaza hotel a few blocks and will be lots bigger waves (you can see both on google earth or maps) I think the bus route is #21. There are links to bus routes as well as info on www.puertoricodaytrips.com San Juan is a great place, have a great time there. I think it is my favorite city to walk around in and explore.