Room Temerature Beer?

Larlabear

We leave on the Inspiration in just over two weeks and I’m planning on ordering beer from the Bon Voyage department to be delivered to our room. We will be bringing a collapsible soft side cooler with us.

Can anyone with experience tell me if the beer they bring is room temperature or is it cold when they leave it? Do they put a few in an ice bucket waiting for you?

May not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but my husband being the beer connoisseur that he is, insists that the flavor of beer changes for the worse when it has been cold and then warms to room temperature and then is chilled again.

P.S. By the way he’s also pretty good at guessing the born on date after he takes his first drink. Lol

Any information you can give me on how it’s delivered is greatly appreciated.

I dont know the answer to your question per say.

However watching those Samantha Brown shows on the Travel channel she went behind the scenes and it showed all the beer being held in a HUGE refrigerator. So my guess is it is cold when delivered, but who knows how long it sits out before you arrive.

We leave on the Inspiration in just over two weeks and I’m planning on ordering beer from the Bon Voyage department to be delivered to our room. We will be bringing a collapsible soft side cooler with us.

Can anyone with experience tell me if the beer they bring is room temperature or is it cold when they leave it? Do they put a few in an ice bucket waiting for you?

May not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but my husband being the beer connoisseur that he is, insists that the flavor of beer changes for the worse when it has been cold and then warms to room temperature and then is chilled again.

P.S. By the way he’s also pretty good at guessing the born on date after he takes his first drink. Lol

Any information you can give me on how it’s delivered is greatly appreciated.

Did you get the package with the carnival collapsable cooler and hat?

If so...when I ordered mine...it did not have ice when I got to my cabin, I had to ask for it to be iced up.

:cool:

(your milage may vary)

I wouldn't even bother.......just stop by a bar on your way to your cabin and pick up a bucket.......

Make sure you instruct them NOT to pen the bottles for you.

I hate when they do that!

:mad:

Yes, beer does go skunk if it's chilled, warms up, and is then chilled again. I would also suggest buying a bucket from a bar so you know they're fresh rather than relying on Bon Voyage. I know I'd be pissed as hell to get skunked beer, especially after what they're charging.

Yes, beer does go skunk if it's chilled, warms up, and is then chilled again. I would also suggest buying a bucket from a bar so you know they're fresh rather than relying on Bon Voyage. I know I'd be pissed as hell to get skunked beer, especially after what they're charging.

Almost all of the world’s commercial beers contain hops. In fact, American and German beers are required by law to contain at least a small amount of hops. Hops give the beer bitterness, and can also be used to impart a spicy, fruity sort of aroma best described as “hoppy.” (Obviously, I’ll never be writing a dictionary.)

The hop compounds that are responsible for making beer bitter are called isomerized alpha-acids. These chemicals, along with sulfur compounds found in beer, are also culpable in beer skunking. When light hits beer, it provides the energy necessary to drive a reaction that transforms the iso-alpha-acids into 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol. The “thiol” part of that somewhat cumbersome name indicates that there is sulfur present. Sulfur compounds often have strong, offensive aromas. Some musteline animals, like skunks, have evolved the ability to produce this chemical, and use it for self-defense.

In a sense, the aroma of light-struck beer doesn’t just resemble skunk spray, it is skunk spray! It’s the same stuff!

This photochemical reaction is the only cause of skunked beer. Warm storage, while damaging to the flavor of beer, does not skunk it. Cycling the temperature of beer from warm to cold and back again is also not implicated.

I appreciate all the answers, but the purpose of ordering through the Bon Voyage is to save money on a quantity of beer. Around 30 or so of them.

So can anyone tell me when "they ordered them" if they were delivered cold or room temp?

Thanks.

This photochemical reaction is the only cause of skunked beer. Warm storage, while damaging to the flavor of beer, does not skunk it. Cycling the temperature of beer from warm to cold and back again is also not implicated.

This is what I have been told also.........it's all about the sun light.........and also the clear bottles seem to be the skunkiest.......

I appreciate all the answers, but the purpose of ordering through the Bon Voyage is to save money on a quantity of beer. Around 30 or so of them.

So can anyone tell me when "they ordered them" if they were delivered cold or room temp?

Thanks.

LOL... doesn't sound like anyone can answer that.

When light hits beer, it provides the energy necessary to drive a reaction that transforms the iso-alpha-acids into 3-methyl-2-butene-1-thiol.

Hence the reason most beers are in brown bottles. In the "olden times" it was a way to delay the reaction with the light. With the advent of refrigeration it isn't need as much, but out of historical purpose most of the bottles kept theirs brown.

Thanks.

From everything I've read about Bon Voyage, it doesn't seem like you're going to get a bulk volume discount. They charge you per beer, unless I'm completely wrong, in which case someone will promptly correct me.

From everything I've read about Bon Voyage, it doesn't seem like you're going to get a bulk volume discount. They charge you per beer, unless I'm completely wrong, in which case someone will promptly correct me.

I did not know you could buy that many from bon voyage.

Just ordered from Bon Voyage for our Mar 21 cruise. They offer MANY different brands. Bud, Budlight, Corona, Heineken, Stella, to name a few.

The beer is the same price as you would pay at the bars on board, but instead of paying a 15% gratuity, you only pay a 7% sales tax ( in Tampa anyways...)

I'm hoping they don't open all the bottles Kelz, cuz it's gonna be a bit of a challenge to down 24 Bud, and 12 Corona before they get warm! ;) Then again, I'm, up for any challenge!!! We were told that the beer would be delivered in ice, but I don't know if she meant ALL of the beer or just the first 6 or so. Overall, we save $15 ordering thru BV instead of at the bar.

Hope this helps.:)

Archived