Cozumel with No Passport

dseres

I know there are a bunch of threads debating whether you need a passport or not, but I am hoping some recent cruisers without passports can give me some reassurance. We just booked a cruise on the Destiny for April, Me, my husband and daughter have passports, her friend who is 17 does not. It is too late to get one so he has his birth certificate, license, and a notarized parent consent form to travel with us. Will that be okay in Cozumel???? I apologize for asking this question again, but I really just want to hear from recent travelers and if there was a problem. I guess the safe thing would be to not get off the ship there, but it is really the only real stop and we are so looking forward to it for the beach day. Thanks sooo much!!

I know there are a bunch of threads debating whether you need a passport or not, but I am hoping some recent cruisers without passports can give me some reassurance. We just booked a cruise on the Destiny for April, Me, my husband and daughter have passports, her friend who is 17 does not. It is too late to get one so he has his birth certificate, license, and a notarized parent consent form to travel with us. Will that be okay in Cozumel???? I apologize for asking this question again, but I really just want to hear from recent travelers and if there was a problem. I guess the safe thing would be to not get off the ship there, but it is really the only real stop and we are so looking forward to it for the beach day. Thanks sooo much!!

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Cozumel and all we had to show was our "room key" to return to the ship. That was also the case in Grand Cayman.

Hope this helps!

There is no debate. You're on a closed loop cruise and all that's required is a government issued birth certificate (not a copy...) and a photo ID like a driver's license.

You'll need photo ID and your Sail & Sign card leaving and returning to the ship.

:)

The vast majority of these thread degenerate into debates about the WISDOM of having a passport but the bottom line is that no passport is required if your ship departs from and returns to the same port in the US.

If you go to the website for passports, not a crusie lines site but

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

It clearly states: "LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

ALL PERSONS traveling by land and sea outside of the United States are required to present a passport book/card, or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website:

* Effective June 1, 2009, all U.S. citizens are now required to present a passport book, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document when entering the United States.

Please Note: Children under age 16 will be able to continue crossing land and sea borders using only a U.S. birth certificate (or other form of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate.). The original birth certificate or a copy may be used. See the Department of Homeland Security's Ready, Set.. Go! for more information on the changing travel requirements.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory."

From homeland security

http://www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travelers.shtm

Land/Sea Travel

Beginning June 1, 2009

* U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license."

You cannot even cross the canadian or mexican border (into the US) anymore without a passport or passport card. So I would suggest seeing if you can get an enhanced drivers license or pay extra for a rush passport, something on the list. Also if they would miss the ship, they would be stuck, might not even be able to fly back without a passport.

You'll need your room key (S&S card) AND a photo ID like a driver's license. There is security in Cozumel when you enter the pier and then again when you board the boat.

You only need your passport (or photo ID and birth certificate) at the airport, embarkation of the ship, and when going through customs at debarkation. You won't need it at any port as long as you don't miss the boat.

I just got my passport a couple of weeks ago. It took four weeks. I read somewhere on the government passport site that if you need your passport within two weeks you can go to the passport office nearest you. You might try that if you think it will take too long to get one back by mail. Everything I read does say if you start and end at the same port you only need you birth certificate. I always suggest that you do what you feel most comfortable with. You don't want to spend your vacation stressed out over this issue.

If you go to the website for passports, not a crusie lines site but

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

It clearly states: "LAND AND SEA TRAVEL

*****snip*****

You cannot even cross the canadian or mexican border (into the US) anymore without a passport or passport card. So I would suggest seeing if you can get an enhanced drivers license or pay extra for a rush passport, something on the list. Also if they would miss the ship, they would be stuck, might not even be able to fly back without a passport.

Here's another government site. It covers closed-loop cruises, the topic of this discussion.

(2) When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate,

Code of Federal Regulations

From the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative website:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

But, you can sail to Mexico or Canada (or any number of other caribbean countries) without a passport providing it is a closed loop cruise departing from the US.

As stated above if you return to the same port as you left from you are o.k. No passport needed. But it is alot easier when you depart if you have one. And when you return they like you to show it. There might be a hold up for you if you don't have one.

We just returned from the western on the Dream. several members of our group did not have passports. the only thing you need to get back on the ship is your drivers license and your sail and sign. kids only neede to show sail and sign. this only happened in Cozumel. In Costa maya they didn't check our drivers license and everywhere else-Belize and roatan also only checked our sail and sign.

As stated above if you return to the same port as you left from you are o.k. No passport needed. But it is alot easier when you depart if you have one. And when you return they like you to show it. There might be a hold up for you if you don't have one.

I don't believe this to be the case. A closed loop cruise is unique and as long as you have the proper id (B/C and government issued id) expect to see no more of a delay then someone with a passport. We have been in line (cruised) with passengers with B/C and there was no appreciable delay.

Thank you all for your replies. I still think its interesting that there seems to be no exact answer for this. seems like 90% of people think its ok without a passport , but then there is always that one scary person who says you do. I really hate to not let them enjoy cozumel, it was the main reason for choosing this ship. His parents are trusting us to bring him back!

It IS posted right on the Carnival website(I think under travel documentation) It clearly lists what ids required to travel and says you may travel with birth certificate and drivers license.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Passport Card
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov.

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in Cozumel and all we had to show was our "room key" to return to the ship. That was also the case in Grand Cayman.

Hope this helps!

Ditto.

In fact there have been very few times I have been asked for my picture ID when reboarding.

Thank you all for your replies. I still think its interesting that there seems to be no exact answer for this. seems like 90% of people think its ok without a passport , but then there is always that one scary person who says you do.

LOL, well, you don't...not yet anyway.

I do think people who travel should have passports...but as of right now, for a closed loop cruise you do not HAVE to have one.

I think I am pretty safe in saying, if he did not have proper ID, then

getting off the ship would not be the problem, because he would denied boarding to begin with.

In other words..you have to show proper ID to board the ship at embarkation.

Kids under 16 do not need photo-ID, just birth certificates

Precisely why my 2 (11 and 5) will have passports. The thought of losing a birth certificate in this day of hacking/identity theft...scares the you know what out of me. Birth certificates will be locked up safely at home.

What are my children suppose to bring other than a birth certificate? They don't have a DL (15,13,10). I'm guessing a school id?

School ID is fine. You can also see if your state DMV will issue a non-driver's identification card. (AKA a footie ID or walker's license ;))

• 2 weeks later...
There is no debate. You're on a closed loop cruise and all that's required is a government issued birth certificate (not a copy...) and a photo ID like a driver's license.

You'll need photo ID and your Sail & Sign card leaving and returning to the ship.

:)

The vast majority of these thread degenerate into debates about the WISDOM of having a passport but the bottom line is that no passport is required if your ship departs from and returns to the same port in the US.

Hi, I'm wondering about what my 10 & 12yo's legally need to go with my mom and I on a cruise out of Galveston and returning to Galveston. Their dad will not be with us and we are still married & together so I'm wondering about this parent consent form thing? thanks for your help!

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization).

While rare, there have been some occasions when a ship could not return to its home port. The chance of this occurring is so slight, I wouldn't let it concern me even if I didn't have a passport. But everyone has a different risk tolerance, so if you are weighing the what-ifs to decide whether or not to get a passport, you may want to consider this.

While rare, there have been some occasions when a ship could not return to its home port. The chance of this occurring is so slight, I wouldn't let it concern me even if I didn't have a passport. But everyone has a different risk tolerance, so if you are weighing the what-ifs to decide whether or not to get a passport, you may want to consider this.

Much like deciding whether or not to purchase travel insurance. The risk is slight that you'll need it. But, what if?

Do you risk it, or not? Everyone feels differently.

CeleBrat

Archived