Confused about MTD?

Hi all! DH and I have Radiance booked in April. Can someone explain to me how MTD works? We are currently booked for the late seating. I have tons of questions!

1. Can we switch to MTD if we want to? Or are we stuck with late seating?

2. Do we book it now or do we wait until we board?

3. When do the shows come into play?? I know with the early seating you see the show after.. and with late seating you see the show before. When do you see them with MTD? Like for example if we book about 7:30 for dinner.. is that considered late or early?

4. Do they have tables for 2?

5. Do we have the same wait staff.. and how are tips handled?

Thanks everyone for answering these questions for me! Don't know if we should switch or not!

1. Can we switch to MTD if we want to? Or are we stuck with late seating? You can switch now but once on board you can't flip flop back and forth, the dining is for the length of cruise

2. Do we book it now or do we wait until we board?If you really want it do it now or it could be booked up before you board

3. When do the shows come into play?? I know with the early seating you see the show after.. and with late seating you see the show before. When do you see them with MTD? Like for example if we book about 7:30 for dinner.. is that considered late or early? Neither, you will have to plan around the shows if you want to see them and go to dinner leaving enough time

4. Do they have tables for 2?Yes, but could be a longer wait

5. Do we have the same wait staff.. and how are tips handled? You can request the same section but might have to wait or you could do a standing reservation. If you choose MTD the pre paid tips will automatically be added to the booking.

Thanks everyone for answering these questions for me! Don't know if we should switch or not!

Hi there, we did MTD on Brilliance last year and it worked for us, will try to answer as best I can.

Hi all! DH and I have Radiance booked in April. Can someone explain to me how MTD works? We are currently booked for the late seating. I have tons of questions!

1. Can we switch to MTD if we want to? Or are we stuck with late seating?

You can switch but you will have to prepay gratuities

2. Do we book it now or do we wait until we board?

I think you can book MTD on embarkation but not 100%

3. When do the shows come into play?? I know with the early seating you see the show after.. and with late seating you see the show before. When do you see them with MTD? Like for example if we book about 7:30 for dinner.. is that considered late or early?

The Beauty of MTD is that you schedule your eating time to suit your plans. you can book earlier in the day, the night before or just turn up with maybe a short wait.

4. Do they have tables for 2?

Yes they do.

5. Do we have the same wait staff.. and how are tips handled?

We mostly had the same wait staff but not every night. Tips are prepaid

How does the tipping work if you book MTD in advance but choose to eat at Chops or Portofino one or more times? Do you prepay 7 nights of tips regardless of whether you eat in the main dining room all 7 nights?

For example, if you eat in the MDR 4 nights on MTD basis and Chops/Portofino the other 3, do you pay 7 nights of tips for MTD and then pay tips plus the surcharge each night you dine in a specialty restaurant?

How does the tipping work if you book MTD in advance but choose to eat at Chops or Portofino one or more times? Do you prepay 7 nights of tips regardless of whether you eat in the main dining room all 7 nights?

For example, if you eat in the MDR 4 nights on MTD basis and Chops/Portofino the other 3, do you pay 7 nights of tips for MTD and then pay tips plus the surcharge each night you dine in a specialty restaurant?

Yes, because the staff works in the buffet, chops, MDR, etc, so they waited on you somewhere

Yes, because the staff works in the buffet, chops, MDR, etc, so they waited on you somewhere

Perhaps I didn't word my question clearly. I fully expect to pay 7 nights of tips but am wondering if, in my example (4 nights MTD, 3 nights specialty restaurant), I'd end up paying 10 nights worth of tips (7 nights in advance due to selection of MTD and an additional 3 nights when dining at a specialty restaurant).

Perhaps I didn't word my question clearly. I fully expect to pay 7 nights of tips but am wondering if, in my example (4 nights MTD, 3 nights specialty restaurant), I'd end up paying 10 nights worth of tips (7 nights in advance due to selection of MTD and an additional 3 nights when dining at a specialty restaurant).

Yes, that is what happens if you add extra tip at the specialty restaurants. If you take MTD you must prepay tips, there is no option to only pay 4 nights worth. Technically your tips are part of the surcharge at the specialty restaurants.

Yes, that is what happens if you add extra tip at the specialty restaurants. If you take MTD you must prepay tips, there is no option to only pay 4 nights worth. Technically your tips are part of the surcharge at the specialty restaurants.

Got it. That makes sense. Thanks. Do people generally add extra tips at the special restaurants? If so, what is typical range of additional tipping there? Thanks.

Got it. That makes sense. Thanks. Do people generally add extra tips at the special restaurants? If so, what is typical range of additional tipping there? Thanks.

We usually add like 10$ or so. The dinners are SOOOO worth it.

Although most people do, (us included) you are not required to leave an extra tip at the Specialty restaurants. You have to tip for all the nights of the cruise if you select MTD. We would do that anyway, the tips and tip guidelines are per night of the cruise...they don't say "unless you eat elsewhere". You just pay them now or later. We just switched to MTD. for our October cruise. :)

And Sue, I am just quoting you, because I am adding my 2 cents to your post. :D

Although most people do, (us included) you are not required to leave an extra tip at the Specialty restaurants. You have to tip for all the nights of the cruise if you select MTD. We would do that anyway, the tips and tip guidelines are per night of the cruise...they don't say "unless you eat elsewhere". You just pay them now or later. We just switched to MTD. for our October cruise. :)

And Sue, I am just quoting you, because I am adding my 2 cents to your post. :D

You explained it better then me anyhow!!!:D

Archived